Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Sad to see that unfortunate, misguided actions by some pastors give a bad name to churches everywhere...
It shouldn't... there are a ton of great Pastors out there but we all know the bad stories get more attention.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
plenty of people slam CEO's for their lavish spending and golden parachutes...

The first shall be last and the last shall be first...
The meek shall inherit the earth...

I used to think it was a great idea to have 3 services a day so people could go at various times to hear the word. However, I recently went to a church and didn't even hear a sermon. I've never gone to a Black Southern Baptiste Church without hearing a 30 minute sermon. I know all churches aren't like this but it sure seems like these multiple services are for multiple offerings.

I left with nothing that day... it felt weird and nothing like what I used to hear growing up when my Grandfather preached from 11 until 2 and we missed the first half of the game.

I'm not a super christian but I feel like these pastors will have to answer one day for using God's words for their own prosperity.
Oh I agree with the bolded but it's different with pastors of churches in my eyes. CEO's aren't preaching a lifestyle of being giving and generous. I expect CEO's to have a lavish lifestyle. I don't agree with it but I am not shocked or surprised by it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

161 posts, read 305,105 times
I read in another article that the land was purchased in the name of this trust: Jumper Drive Revocable Trust

Because I was being nosy I found out the land is right next to land that we own in Weddington. That is if the info I read is true. I wish he needed an extra 3 acres because our lot has been sitting empty for years. We cannot sell it for even close to what we bought it for in 2006 so we will probably have it for a lifetime. Maybe his spread will help our value!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I think they should pull the 501C tax exempt status from churches.

That'd clean up A LOT of nonsense.
Some would say that will compromise the church's ability to do good things. I have to say I question that when I drive past the Mary Kay cathedral.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Yet another thinly veiled attempt by this user to slam Elevation. How come you aren't posting things about the lifestyles of CEOs that received government dollars? Look at her posting history - she posts 'questions' that appear to be innocent.
Don't like it? Don't go.
Churches pay no taxes...none. Who needs government dollars? Nobody needs 16,000 sq feet. Its pitiful.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
Churches pay no taxes...none. Who needs government dollars? Nobody needs 16,000 sq feet. Its pitiful.
I have a wife and 2 small children. We have 1900 sq ft. We have rooms we don't use. He doesn't need a house this big. My pastor preaches all the time about how he is going to stand before god, and give an account of his actions, and how he led his church. I'm not saying that Steven isn't saved, but when he stands before god I think god will look at him and say did u really need 16,000 sq ft. The answer is no.

It's sad. It's sad people fall for this. It's sad that people bastardize the gospel. The gospel is the most beautiful thing in the world. It's perfect, but yet people insist on twisting it for their own gain. Man is flawed!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
It's sad that people bastardize the gospel. The gospel is the most beautiful thing in the world. It's perfect, but yet people insist on twisting it for their own gain. Man is flawed!
Have you ever heard one of his sermons?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
I knew it when I watched this church grow so fast that it was such a scam. Really people? I can't believe people still fall for this crap.Those guys who wrote that book I bet didn't know what great businesses they would create 3500 years later.
I can't blame him though. If was going to start a business it would be a church. Tax free! What better business to start.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Slight thread jack.

So I know the church itself is tax free. But are you saying that the pastor also can buy a home for themselves and that property will be tax free even though the home itself is separate from the church and purchased not using tithes/church funds as indicated? (using the sales of his books)

Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Elevation is a Southern Baptist Church plant. Furtick did not seed the church to begin with. That is where they get the funding to grow so fast.

Don't know Furtick personally. Don't agree with his decision to buy/build this enormous house; was trying to think of justifications...maybe he will use it for church activities? Don't know.

However, I know that God is not mocked. He will take care of this in his time....regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte