Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 PM

345 posts, read 871,452 times

Advertisements

Why are we stuck with horrible TWC & their customer service. What other companies offer internet in Charlotte area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Typically there is no competition with cable service. They laid the wiring infrastructure ... so you use it, or go with Dish TV or an antenna.

For the internet you'd be looking at DSL as an alternative. Or dial-up, I suppose.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
My girlfriend has AT&T U-Verse in her area. Not sure if they operate all over Charlotte or not. Time Warner seems faster though.

What's so bad about Time Warner? I haven't had any issues with them other than the occasional outage.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
My girlfriend has AT&T U-Verse in her area. Not sure if they operate all over Charlotte or not. Time Warner seems faster though.

What's so bad about Time Warner? I haven't had any issues with them other than the occasional outage.
Although I know many people have issues with TWC, especially on the cable side, my experience with them for internet has been very good as well. They're generally considered to be the best service, and I haven't found anything to be less expensive.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM

AT&T will be rolling out LTE service soon which will get up to the 12 megbit range and that would be competitive with cable again. (I would not want to go back to 6 megabit on DSL.) But I suspect the cable companies will just up the ante shortly thereafter and offer 20 or 30 megabit as standard service.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
AT&T will be rolling out LTE service soon which will get up to the 12 megbit range and that would be competitive with cable again. (I would not want to go back to 6 megabit on DSL.) But I suspect the cable companies will just up the ante shortly thereafter and offer 20 or 30 megabit as standard service.
Is that LTE for home use? I have LTE on my smartphone and it's faster than my home internet but the cellular companies don't allow you to use enough data for it to replace home internet.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Sure, you get a laptop card and hook in to the AT&T wireless just like with a tablet. My presumption is that U-Verse will soon be pushing LTE along with the home phone packages.

I guess I can't rule out U-verse since I do have an AT&T phone. But even going back to 12 megabit doesn't sit easy with me, after upgrading to 30 megabit cable.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Sure, you get a laptop card and hook in to the AT&T wireless just like with a tablet. My presumption is that U-Verse will soon be pushing LTE along with the home phone packages.

I guess I can't rule out U-verse since I do have an AT&T phone. But even going back to 12 megabit doesn't sit easy with me, after upgrading to 30 megabit cable.
I'm OK with 12 for what I do. Some tasks I actually have to slow down so I don't kill the hosts (so to speak). What is TWC's support hours? UVERSE closes Saturday afternoon and stays closed until Monday. It's also a real complicated setup technically. My system freaked out and you learn that the thing on the inside of the house that looks like a modem isn't. It's the things on the outside that matter and there's a huge batter backup that requires internal installation in a garage or in my case shed that no one told me about having to provide power to.

And while there isn't an apparent bandwidth throttle that is enforced, it certainly is in the TOS so they could zap you there. They have also cost me thousands in broken promises including this round where I was suppose to get a free tablet and instead was billed without a bundle price from month one. Have a nice day.

As long as they aren't enforcing bandwidth I don't care but I'd hate to have a new contract and have it enforced starting month 2. I expect I'd always have a contract because I have no trouble pitting ATT and TWC against each other based on price.

ADSL is dead unless you're too far from the box like some people are in my neighborhood. I'm suspicious of an LTE solution just because I don't trust them. We'll see.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM

I agree, I think DSL is about to become "the new dial up". The thing people settle for when there is nothing better, and they live far from a major town.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I use Windstream but I don't do a lot of stuff on line. And it holds up very well to my streaming from Direct TV just fine. TWC actually did horrible with the streaming. Incompatible or something, but I had to cancel it and get Windstream.

You can circumvent TWC by using Earthlink.net. They use the TWC lines BUT offer competitve pricing and you would contact them for customer service, not TWC. I did it that way for a year when I lived in Union County.

Last time I was in the ATT store in Arboretum (2 months ago), a salesperson there said they were not expanding Uverse when I asked when will they be offering it in my area. I haven't confirm that though, anyone else know about it? Something about being too expensive to lay lines or something other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: