Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yeah basically just a $461 million dollar 10 mile strip or 44 million per mile that the voters voted twice that is how much it is worth to them when it will only bring in 2 million dollars in ticket revenue a year and cost 10 million a year to operate.

I think you will find that not many transit systems make money. Nor is it their intent. As for the costs, the Federal Govt subsidized a portion of the line and the 1/2% sales tax helps with the operating expenses. Lets not forget over 1.5 Billion dollars worth of development that is occuring along the line. I wonder how much in property taxes that will bring in? Also imagine when the big guns come to town looking to relocate or expand businesses how impressed they will be with all CLT has to offer, from the airport to uptown, transit, etc. It may have cost 1/2 Billion but its worth even more.

I am headed to town this weekend and cant wait to experience the light rail. We plan to make a day of it. I'm looking forward to exploring areas I have not been too and seeing some old haunts. We plan to grab a bite to eat, and do some Christmas shopping at "local" businesses.

Last edited by CRock; 11-27-2007 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Syntax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I think you will find that not many transit systems make money. Nor is it their intent. As for the costs, the Federal Govt subsidized a portion of the line and the 1/2% sales tax helps with the operating expenses. Lets not forget over 1.5 Billion dollars worth of development that is occuring along the line. I wonder how much in property taxes that will bring in? Also imagine when the big guns come to town looking to relocate or expand businesses how impressed they will be with all CLT has to offer, from the airport to uptown, transit, etc. It may have cost 1/2 Billion but its worth even more.

very true. Interesting way to think about it. It will be interesting to see who comes to charlotte now and in the future with a better mass transit system. It will be cool when it runs north and south as well. Cutout some of that Huntersville and Rockhill traffic, and also help more businesses expand along the line in those directions. Very exciting indeed.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
I think the low ridership yesterday had a lot to do with weather. If I worked uptown, I would take it.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Alot of it will take time for people to adjust it as a part of their routine.
Kinda like when the new section of 485 to hwy 16 had very few cars using it when it first open.
For someone like me who lives on the north side and want to try it out I have to figure is it worth the hassle.
I would need to know where can I park for free and what will be nearby. I will need to figure out why would I head south other than to ride the light rail.
Will there be more than a pawn shop on South Blvd that is worth checking out.
Will the walking distance to restaurants or shops or crossing dangerous intersections be worth the trip?
If I pick up a order of chicken at Prices Chicken will I stink up the whole train with my order.

There needs to be a visitor guide relating to the light rail so that people who are not using it for commuting purposes can have an objective what to do at each stop.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 AM

That's a good idea. I am very familiar with the South End area and we often rode the trolley, even before it crossed 277. I know a lot of businesses in that area that are definitely worth checking out and many have been there before the trolley or the rail (and some like the Gin Mill go back to the days of the original trolley). There really is something for every one, not just pawn shops.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,238 times
Problem is that it doesn't hold many passengers, and there's no easy transportation once you get uptown. Even if they put on the Northern line, it won't be enough to lower the traffic up there - which is horrendous. It's a good first step, but it's gonna take a lot more to get rid of some of the traffic.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
there's no easy transportation once you get uptown. .
Actually yes there is. The gold rush shuttle runs loops around uptown all day and is free. The rail also has a stop at the Charlotte Transportation Center, which is the main hub for buses and your light rail fare is good for a free bus transfer within 90 minutes. It may not alleviate traffic, but when I'm riding it, you will be stuck in traffic and I will be enjyoing a smooth ride.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,817 times
I'm planning to try it out some time this week for my uptown commute. I'll park at the furthest station near I-485 and get off at Morehead Street. A coworker told me it was about a 20 minute ride for him.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,010 times
Over 100,000 people rode the Lynx on Sat and Sun for free. Mayor Pat is rushing to get the next section underway.
Well it's been three days. I grew up in NY, went to school in Washington, lived in Philadelphia and always used trains and subways to get places. I was skeptical when the McCrory Line was introduced. Voted against the initial tax and voted for the repeal.
Rode the Lynx on Monday to work and sat with 9 other people on the train. CATS reported only 3,200 riders, less than the 9,100 it projects on a daily basis. Said it was probably due to rain.
Rode it on Tuesday and sat with 6 other people.
Rode it on Wednesday and had 5 people in the train car.
CATS has not released ridership figures for Tue and Wed isn't over but said that figures were lower or close to the same, as on Monday. Weather was beautiful on Tue and Wed.
I can't afford my taxes to go up anymore, someone please ride the Lynx train.
In an informal poll done by the Observer, over 67% of the people questioned "What is Keeping You from riding the train" responded with "location of the stops". Shouldn't this have been done earlier?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Over 100,000 people rode the Lynx on Sat and Sun for free. Mayor Pat is rushing to get the next section underway.
Well it's been three days. I grew up in NY, went to school in Washington, lived in Philadelphia and always used trains and subways to get places. I was skeptical when the McCrory Line was introduced. Voted against the initial tax and voted for the repeal.
Rode the Lynx on Monday to work and sat with 9 other people on the train. CATS reported only 3,200 riders, less than the 9,100 it projects on a daily basis. Said it was probably due to rain.
Rode it on Tuesday and sat with 6 other people.
Rode it on Wednesday and had 5 people in the train car.
CATS has not released ridership figures for Tue and Wed isn't over but said that figures were lower or close to the same, as on Monday. Weather was beautiful on Tue and Wed.
I can't afford my taxes to go up anymore, someone please ride the Lynx train.
In an informal poll done by the Observer, over 67% of the people questioned "What is Keeping You from riding the train" responded with "location of the stops". Shouldn't this have been done earlier?

Not sure where you are getting your numbers on ridership, I'm reading that 4500-5000 rode monday and just over 8000 tuesday. I expect those #'s will continue to grow and will exceed the 9,100 daily numbers estimated by CATS.

The informal poll you attributed to the Observer was actually from WCOC 9 internet poll with a whopping 49 respondents, hardly a valid statistical analysis. Plus consider the source of the poll, WSOC. WCOC leads all news stations in reporting negative and sensational stores.

As for taxes, it is 1/2% sales tax. So if you spend $10,000 of goods and services in a year it is a whopping $50.00. I saw a stat that said someone making $50,000 a year would pay about $39 a year.

I wish there was as much vocal outrage over property taxes in CLT, I pay over $2500 a year for my house which is ridiculous.

The anti-transit/rail folks just need to get over it!!! The referendum to repeal the tax was defeated by a 3-1 margin, which sends a strong message!

Glad to hear you are riding the train, sit back enjoy the ride!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte