Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times

Advertisements

Bloomingdale's Coming to Southpark Mall | Charlotte Restaurant Traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Finally.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Based on the photo in the link I assume Bloomingdale's is the place for fashionable, sullen, nearly-anorexic teen girls to shop. Or is it fashionably sullen?

Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Since Macy's owns Bloomingdale's, there has been talk of adding a Charlotte store for some time. This report may be speculation at this point until further confirmation from reliable sources or mainstream media. But it will be nice if it turns out to be true. But I wonder where they will make room for it. I don't think they would want to convert Macy's, as it is their main performing store and a strong competitor to Belk and Dillard's. Is there room to add another store or possibly they would take over the Dick's Sports store space? Usually Macy's wants to have their namesake store in most major malls, so I don't see them leaving SouthPark.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM

341 posts, read 762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Since Macy's owns Bloomingdale's, there has been talk of adding a Charlotte store for some time. This report may be speculation at this point until further confirmation from reliable sources or mainstream media. But it will be nice if it turns out to be true. But I wonder where they will make room for it. I don't think they would want to convert Macy's, as it is their main performing store and a strong competitor to Belk and Dillard's. Is there room to add another store or possibly they would take over the Dick's Sports store space? Usually Macy's wants to have their namesake store in most major malls, so I don't see them leaving SouthPark.
I think it's pretty reliable. I've been hearing this for months, and some people have friends at Simon have been saying this. It's going to be in the Macy's location, or that's what I've heard. The Macy's is too low end and does not compete well with Belk. Bloomingdale's will be a much better fit.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Well Macy's and Belk both tend to be mid tier stores and are primary competitors in many markets. And both offer flagship style stores with more upscale offerings. Example, the Macy's at Lenox in Atlanta is a flagship store and has a more upscale selection. They could upgrade the Macy's at SouthPark to be more upscale if need be. I was hoping they would keep the Macy's and add a Bloomingdale's somewhere else in the mall. If the Macy's at SouthPark does close, then hopefully they will upgrade the Macy's stores at Northlake and Carolina Place. Have a full selection of INC, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, and Ralph Lauren, as well as all other Macy's brands such as Bar III, Tasso, and Alfani. A good Macy's store has a good mix of both mid tier and upscale selections. The Macy's at Lenox, Perimeter, Mall of Ga, and Tyson's Corner are good examples.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
. I like the Bloomies at Adventura There are actually boutiques in that store.. Prada fendi etc are located in Adventura Location. Hopefully Bloomies doesnt give you guys a watered down store like the perimeter store in Atlanta use to be

Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well Macy's and Belk both tend to be mid tier stores and are primary competitors in many markets. And both offer flagship style stores with more upscale offerings. Example, the Macy's at Lenox in Atlanta is a flagship store and has a more upscale selection. They could upgrade the Macy's at SouthPark to be more upscale if need be. I was hoping they would keep the Macy's and add a Bloomingdale's somewhere else in the mall. If the Macy's at SouthPark does close, then hopefully they will upgrade the Macy's stores at Northlake and Carolina Place. Have a full selection of INC, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, and Ralph Lauren, as well as all other Macy's brands such as Bar III, Tasso, and Alfani. A good Macy's store has a good mix of both mid tier and upscale selections. The Macy's at Lenox, Perimeter, Mall of Ga, and Tyson's Corner are good examples.
With merchandising, part of it is about the name. When your line is already carried at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Belk, and maybe Dillard's, you don't want to oversaturate, and Macy's has the least desirable location at the mall and is the least upscale, so it's very easy for many brands to skip them. However, just the name and look of Bloomingdale's will attract these brands away from Belk and Dillard's or possibly keep them at all three. It's just like St. John. At SouthPark, Nordstrom carries St John. So does Belk and Neiman Marcus, and they have their own store. That's just too much St John, even though it's certainly a loved brand in CLT, so the St John store is downsizing to make room for a Gucci boutique. So, Macy's will always be last to get anything at SouthPark and there's really nothing they can do about it without changing over to Bloomingdale's, in my opinion. Also, SouthPark is not permitted to expand anymore so the only way to get one is changing the Macy's. Unfortunately, it's not about the space. There's the SECU, Rite Aid, multiple offices buildings, Symphony Park, the aging Doubletree Hotel that could be used for more space if they really wanted it. It's about all of the traffic and how SP does not want to be another Buckhead. Of course we want the luxurious restaurants and hotels that Buckhead has, but they certainly do not want the traffic. Unfortunately, I don't really see any other way to do it. I don't think it would be easy to get rich people in Ballantyne to take public transportation to go to SouthPark, so there's really no way around it.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM

It is a nice coup for Charlotte if Bloomingdale's does indeed debut. They only have a limited number of stores in select major markets. And apparently Belk has upped their game with their flagship stores to help influence this change. Belk will soon replace Saks at the Galleria in Dallas, TX, and will soon open a new prototype flagship in Huntsville, Alabama.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
. I like the Bloomies at Adventura There are actually boutiques in that store.. Prada fendi etc are located in Adventura Location. Hopefully Bloomies doesnt give you guys a watered down store like the perimeter store in Atlanta use to be
It's all about what each location does not have. There's no Neiman Marcus or Saks in Aventura, so Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom are more upscale than most. Nashville has no Neiman Marcus or Saks so their Nordstrom is much more upscale than most. Just like how Nordstrom at Perimeter is much more upscale than the Phipps store. So, since Bloomingdale's will be competing with Nordstrom and NM and a few boutiques, I could see Bloomingdale's at SouthPark being on par with the Lenox store since they have less boutiques to compete with and no Saks, but with a lower population. However, there's no way it will be more upscale than Lenox's store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte