Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Lol. Well if that might happen, then it better go through my area first in SE Charlotte!
Well mom23, if you see Nikki Hailey standing out on 521 with some empty leaf bags and a big smile on her face, your prayers have been answered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM

370 posts, read 544,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Are you saying that IF they announce CLT as a location, they would not be open to expanding their network to all of Mecklenburg county? I'd think they'd be very interested in gaining more customers especially if it means running a line across a municipal city limit.

I'm thinking otherwise.
I'm definitely not saying that. Im not them, so I don't know their plans. What I said (and will say again) is that Google Fiber has a map, with candidate cities on it. And in RDU and Atlanta, they went out of their way to highlight specifically that they are bringing Fiber to suburb cities of those respective metros and they did not do so with Charlotte. Additional plans I've seen (the hut PDF for Charlotte) suggest the same.

Ultimately Google is out to make a splash. I'm not sure why they are ignoring Charlotte metro cities and acknowledging others. At the end of the day, they have to decide where to lay infrastructure. Maybe they decided that the huts and cost for Gastonia/Matthews/huntersville would be better invested in an additional city for more press. Or they felt that the Raleigh and Atlanta suburbs are more promising for this type of internet? I don't know the answer, just a thought.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
^It's going to cost significantly to put that first customer online. Every customer they can add after the fact reduces those per/seat costs. Utilities in general have an almost infinite economy of scale so it would be worth their while to keep expanding their local system.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
They should also consider Harrisburg, Concord, Gastonia and Fort Mill. And definitely Davidson, Huntersville, and Cornelius. And I wonder if they will also offer a TV service.
Kings Mountain already has the backbone of a fiber optic system laid.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
^It's going to cost significantly to put that first customer online. Every customer they can add after the fact reduces those per/seat costs. Utilities in general have an almost infinite economy of scale so it would be worth their while to keep expanding their local system.
It appears obvious to me that they are leaving out Charlotte's suburban cities. They have highlighted Nashville the same way. And as you can see, they do not provide service to metro Austin or Provo, but do for metro Kansas City. So far if they've promoted it, they've done it. And if not, well, they haven't.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 PM

385 posts, read 729,877 times
As someone who really, really, really wants this to happen here in CLT, I have a bad feeling this isn't going to happen.

I know all cities have PITA local politicians, but CLT seems like they've taken lessons from the folks down in Louisiana.

The way this whole airport fiasco has been handled, I wouldn't be surprised if we get passed up on.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
As someone who really, really, really wants this to happen here in CLT, I have a bad feeling this isn't going to happen.

I know all cities have PITA local politicians, but CLT seems like they've taken lessons from the folks down in Louisiana.

The way this whole airport fiasco has been handled, I wouldn't be surprised if we get passed up on.

But I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think they are having a press conference to announce they aren't coming.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 PM

385 posts, read 729,877 times
After I posted, I did some searching and it's on.

Now I wonder how long will it take to implement.

Fiber to the house? How are they going to do that, especially with all the bureaucracy?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I just hope this thing has a smooth rollout.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
It appears obvious to me that they are leaving out Charlotte's suburban cities. They have highlighted Nashville the same way.
Nashville has a consolidated city/county government. Nashville = all of Davidson county. You can't directly compare municipal limits of other places until you set some sort of baseline.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Nashville has a consolidated city/county government. Nashville = all of Davidson county. You can't directly compare municipal limits of other places until you set some sort of baseline.
Ha-ha, okay. I give up. It's probably coming to all of metro Charlotte, including its suburban cities. Revel in your victory.

You're effectively ignoring examples like Austin (same size as Charlotte) and Provo to support your hope that the Charlotte metro cities are getting Fiber. While it'd be nice, I just don't see it. I get that you hope it happens, but all actual information we have is pointing to the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong and we will find out on Wedenesday. But I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte