Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving from the midwest to Charlotte and looking at Union County (and possibly south charlotte). Our children are elementary age and we are looking to stay in the home through highschool. We liked from what we researched Cuthbertson and Marvin Ridge highschools... but need help with elementary schools, or more specifically neighborhoods that we should look into. We would like to spend around 300-325k for a 4 bdr or 3bdr with office would like a community pool and ammenities if possible. Any opinions or help in this would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,323,625 times
Default UCPS School Cluster Maps

Reassignment Information

These maps may be helpful. The Marvin Ridge High and Cuthbertson High School Clusters (the elementary schools are feeder schools to the middle and high schools, which represents clusters) are among the areas currently being redistricted due to high growth. You will want to monitor the news on how these clusters may change for the upcoming school year.

Note: Take care that you are speaking of Union County NORTH Carolina. There is also a Union County SOUTH Carolina.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM

93 posts, read 184,864 times
Welcome to UC, Mardo! Existing homes or new construction? The maps Marvinnative shared are the best resource to guide you in your search. (Try to buy as close to your school as possible and dead center of the cluster.)
In terms of new construction, you'll be hard pressed to find anything in your price range within the Marvin district. Cuthbertson gets a little easier. Lawson and Millbridge are two that are building within the parameters you mentioned. It may just be my perception but it feels like new construction in UC is $600k+.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:44 PM

430 posts, read 804,887 times
New construction I'd consider Millbridge or Lawson, then for established neighborhoods check out Somerset, Hunter Oaks, and the Reserve. I'd add Weddington's cluster into the mix, although I'm not sure how many homes would be in that price range.

As for elementary schools, all the ones in those clusters will be excellent.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,984 times
Oops- yes, Union County, NC! Thanks for recommendations to look at Somerset, Hunter Oaks, and the Reserve. Looking at existing neighborhoods. Yes, noticed Marvin too high for our range. We could go to 350K if needed but would prefer not. Thanks for the link on the redistricting, this will be helpful.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times
If you are looking into Union County just know that the countys board has just voted on a major redistricting plan. A plan that most parents are unhappy about. Just because you are 3 miles from the school does not mean you will go to that school. Parents are upset and fighting this. This is not because of a new school being built but for overcrowding issues in maybe 3 schools. I wish I knew that Union County has done this many times in past years before I moved here. This redistricting is by far the worst. Here is a link to a news report about what is going on but you can google union county parents and you will find lots of information.
[url=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/09/4754286/hundreds-protest-union-school.html#.Ux3TtuddVQ8]Hundreds protest Union school redistricting | CharlotteObserver.com[/url]

Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 AM

631 posts, read 892,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardo4 View Post
Oops- yes, Union County, NC! Thanks for recommendations to look at Somerset, Hunter Oaks, and the Reserve. Looking at existing neighborhoods. Yes, noticed Marvin too high for our range. We could go to 350K if needed but would prefer not. Thanks for the link on the redistricting, this will be helpful.
Those three neighborhoods are all nice, within your price range, and each have their own appeal. Somerset and Hunter Oaks attend Rea View Elementary and the Reserve attends Sandy Ridge Elementary. Both great schools.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 AM

398 posts, read 619,398 times
I realize you will be told differently but you will be hard pressed to find a bad school in UC.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardo4 View Post
Hi,

We are moving from the midwest to Charlotte and looking at Union County (and possibly south charlotte). Our children are elementary age and we are looking to stay in the home through highschool. We liked from what we researched Cuthbertson and Marvin Ridge highschools... but need help with elementary schools, or more specifically neighborhoods that we should look into. We would like to spend around 300-325k for a 4 bdr or 3bdr with office would like a community pool and ammenities if possible. Any opinions or help in this would be great. Thanks!
I agree with raithfan! All the schools are good, and yes redistricting happens.

As for Sommerset, Hunter Oaks, and The Reserve all are nice neighborhoods and the personalty of those are somewhat similar. Another place to look is the Chimneys. I will PM you a link to help you look I used

Best of Luck in you move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte