Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 20,277 times

Advertisements

Well, just when we had decided on Marvin Ridge Middle & High School, the redistricting occurred ~ which I have no problem with; it just threw a wrench in our plans.

I have spoken with an area Realtor who suggested we look at some homes/developments that happen to be in the Parkwood school area. We could literally save $100,000 - $200,000 or more just by switching middle or high schools?

I admit, we are not super familiar with the area yet. We do realize though that Parkwood is further out and more rural. Does it deserve the subpar reputation?

I really would like to get others opinions about Parkwood M.S. & H.S. Especially now with the redistricting, does that change anyone's opinions of the schools for the future? Or do you think they were good to begin with?

One more thing, I noticed Parkwood and Marvin Ridge athletics are in different conferences. Does anyone have an opinion about how that affects making varsity (is Parkwood less competitive) and even college playing prospects?

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Last edited by gjalston; 03-20-2014 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Adding Another Question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:09 PM

398 posts, read 619,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjalston View Post
Well, just when we had decided on Marvin Ridge Middle & High School, the redistricting occurred ~ which I have no problem with; it just threw a wrench in our plans.

I have spoken with an area Realtor who suggested we look at some homes/developments that happen to be in the Parkwood school area. We could literally save $100,000 - $200,000 or more just by switching middle or high schools?

I admit, we are not super familiar with the area yet. We do realize though that Parkwood is further out and more rural. Does it deserve the subpar reputation?

I really would like to get others opinions about Parkwood M.S. & H.S. Especially now with the redistricting, does that change anyone's opinions of the schools for the future? Or do you think they were good to begin with?

One more thing, I noticed Parkwood and Marvin Ridge athletics are in different conferences. Does anyone have an opinion about how that affects making varsity (is Parkwood less competitive) and even college playing prospects?

Hi Gjalston..just back form a biz trip. When I get home form airport I will shoot you a DM. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:

different strokes for different folks..I wouldn't move my family from MR to Parkwood, even for that kind of money. Way off the beaten path too. I don't believe in compromising academics or my son would have accepted one of the basketball scholarships he was offered this year.
I believe Parkwood is 2A, MR is 3A so PHS is a smaller school. Marvin has a much better athletic program overall and quite a few of their better athletes get scholarships. Yes you will have easier time competing and playing varsity at PHS but your odds are not as good of getting scholarship to play a sport.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
different strokes for different folks..I wouldn't move my family from MR to Parkwood, even for that kind of money. Way off the beaten path too. I don't believe in compromising academics or my son would have accepted one of the basketball scholarships he was offered this year.
I believe Parkwood is 2A, MR is 3A so PHS is a smaller school. Marvin has a much better athletic program overall and quite a few of their better athletes get scholarships. Yes you will have easier time competing and playing varsity at PHS but your odds are not as good of getting scholarship to play a sport.
Disagree with this.

That is what Showcase is for....most kids on HS teams that are legit play at a high level (like Showcase)

Look at Piedmont..they are a 2A and have/had a bunch of kids who moved on...

If you are good, you will get noticed...

Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times
Quote:

I will try and answer the sports question, Parkwood is 2A because of size and until last year so was Cuthbertson. MR is currently 3A and competes in non-conference games with 4A teams. MR seems to be on the cusp of becoming 4A (they said at a school meeting MR would have over 1600 students next year)

For sports, ISHS classifies by enrollment numbers. 1A: up to 350.00 ,2A: 350.01-724.35, 3A: 724.36-1658.00,4A: 1658.01 &up

I do not know how many students will be enrolled at Parkwood next year or what they are expecting, so maybe they move up t 3A too?

Yes, Parkwood has teams that are less competitive to make BUT they also have some that are just as competitive to make.

Scholarships, they used to list what student signed with what college to play x sport on the websites of each school. College Signings 2012

Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM

175 posts, read 412,864 times
Parkwood is smaller, but with the redistricting it will likely move to 3A for athletics. The school is fine...yes, it is out there but its all relative. As for competing for sports, I would think you may have a better chance of making varsity at Marvin Ridge after the redistricting...but that depends on the sport. Parkwood did go deep in the state playoffs in football last season, Marvin Ridge won 2 games but they are rebuilding. They cannot seem to keep a head coach. Parkwood girls basketball went 22-3 this season but lost early in the state tourney, Marvin Ridge went 7-14 and did not make playoffs. In Mens Basketball Parkwood went 11-13, Marvin Ridge went 15-10 and lost early in the state playoffs to Weddington. I'm pretty sure in soccer Marvin Ridge mens and womens are better than Parkwood.

Bottom line...your child will get a good education at both. If athletics are important, check the specific sports you are interested in and see where the two schools stand.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM

137 posts, read 191,159 times
Parkwood's athletic program is about to get a shot in the arm since most of Cuthbertson's best athletes are being redistricted there. Also, anyone worried about not being able to be noticed by college scouts at Parkwood has nothing to fear. Kids from Parkwood have signed athletic 'ships to UNC Chapel Hill before. Marcus Leak signed on to play at Maryland just a couple of years ago. Unless you're in a part of the STATE in the middle of nowhere, scouts will find you. Every school in Union County has had tons of kids get athletic scholarships from Marvin Ridge to Forest Hills and everywhere in between.

It's a good school academically. Parents see the star ratings schools get on these sites and freak out. I can tell you, and I think even the loudest parent speaking out against redistricting would agree, the faculty and staff at Parkwood is stellar. Why are test scores lower there? People have their theories, but it sure isn't because of the teachers. Most expect test scores to go up anyway with the influx of Cuthbertson students as well.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 PM

136 posts, read 181,702 times
It's true... great schools with a tradition of high performance. Several recent 'teachers of the year,' (UCPS and statewide) several UCPS 'principals of the year,' and the southwest regional 'superintendent of the year' are all former Parkwood faculty or staff. Though Parkwood has had a hard time holding on to this talent, it has repeatedly shown itself to be a proving ground for the best teachers and administrators in the county and in the state.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 AM

14 posts, read 20,277 times
Very interesting responses. Thank you everyone for taking the time to share information and opinions.
I think the bottom line is my kids need to tour both schools and we need to take a look at the area to see how "out there" Parkwood is to us. Maybe since all the Union County schools have their strengths and weaknesses, we should focus on finding the right home for us and let the rest work itself out. Either way, I think it's time to head down there and drive around for awhile since we have literally only looked in the Marvin Ridge area.
As a side note... my three kids who will be attending middle and high school are very competitive soccer player (elite travel team ~ too young to play through school), baseball player (travel and school) and competitive equestrian (not through school). Maybe that will help with sports responses, although I'm just as interested in academics.
Thank you!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times
I do know a few high school men soccer players here that played for an elite club that would not allow them to play school soccer. They did go to all the school soccer games and were even helping on the sidelines. They had college scholarships one was to the Air Force Academy for soccer (I think there was a second one there too)
Other opt for a less demanding club and play on the school team. MR won the soccer state championship for 3A this year as well as rated #1 in the nation for soccer

from Maxpreps: Overall 22-1-1 Conference 7-0-1 National Rank 1 State (NC) Rank 1

Baseball not sure how good the current varsity team is, I know many of the men on the team play travel and school, one even goes to many elite camps and things

As for horses I assume you can find a good barn just about anywhere in the county. My daughter's good friend keeps 5 horses (I think 2 are hers) they have a jumping arena on their property along New Town Road almost to SC (quite a few houses with horses there)

We know others that help at local horse barns where they have programs to help kids with disabilities ride the horses, the kids that help with this program love it. One girl went to Kentucky for college because of the horses. I know several high schools offer equine science I and II as classes and many kids take them.

Hope that helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte