Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM

115 posts, read 229,253 times

Advertisements

I want to purchase a Serviceberry tree (Amelanchier canadensis) and two fig trees - one that bears brown figs and the other green/yellow figs. Where are the nurseries??? My online searches are not getting me anywhere. I would prefer somewhere in South Charlotte and/or Union County, but I will go where the trees are. +). Also, does anyone know which Amelanchier varieties and which fig trees do best in our area? I've been wanting a Peter's Honey fig for years (based on nothing more than what I have read). Is anyone familiar with this one and how it grows in Charlotte? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
I've seen Peter's Honey at Campbell's on South Blvd. and Pike's on Johnson road. Both $50+. In my opinion the LSU varieties of figs are better suited for the humid south. You should consider a LSU Gold or LSU Golden Celeste.

As for the brown fig, just don't get a brown turkey (probably the first thing you will find or anything unlabeled). There are so many far better varieties. Buying a smaller tree but better variety online is well worth the trouble and cheaper. In the long run, you may have to wait until next year for figs but you'll be glad you did. Edible Landscaping Plant Sale: Buy plants online from our garden center and plant nursery has figs and service berries. I've gotten figs, hops, mulberries and blueberries from them in the past and been happy.

If you are willing to take the time to start them from cuttings, I've got 13 kinds of figs I could share cuttings from. 2 yellow, 2 green, 2 brown and 7 purple/black (the best if you ask me).

Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 PM

186 posts, read 287,515 times
There's Pike's nursery in Torringdon (intersection of 485 and Johnston, across from Earth Fare) and also another nursery in Pineville right off South Blvd / Polk St.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
There's also that small nursery across from the Sugar Creek Greenway on Kings near Uptown. Worth checking out!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM

88 posts, read 129,755 times
Rountree Plantation, off of Woodlawn near 77 exit.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,582 times
Southern Styles Nursery (at Rea and Colony) is a great smaller nursery in South CLT. Pike's in nice but their prices always seem high.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM

128 posts, read 242,446 times
It does seem that Roundtree planatation off of Old Pineville is well thought of and Garden Secrets near southpark has some smaller things. I know a family member joined Winghaven in Myers Park and really got a lot of good information. They have a good garden club, birding club and newletter as well as meetings and trips.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM

79 posts, read 280,365 times
There is Lathams in Monroe near Unionville and Wilsons in Rock Hill.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
This is the place to go: Laney Hill Nursery in Monroe - use your GPS as the entrance looks like a driveway but turn in and drive a bit and you will see more trees, shrubs and flowers than any plae I have seen. And their prices can not be beat.
https://plus.google.com/107330717284...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM

115 posts, read 229,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've seen Peter's Honey at Campbell's on South Blvd. and Pike's on Johnson road. Both $50+. In my opinion the LSU varieties of figs are better suited for the humid south. You should consider a LSU Gold or LSU Golden Celeste.

As for the brown fig, just don't get a brown turkey (probably the first thing you will find or anything unlabeled). There are so many far better varieties. Buying a smaller tree but better variety online is well worth the trouble and cheaper. In the long run, you may have to wait until next year for figs but you'll be glad you did. Edible Landscaping Plant Sale: Buy plants online from our garden center and plant nursery has figs and service berries. I've gotten figs, hops, mulberries and blueberries from them in the past and been happy.

If you are willing to take the time to start them from cuttings, I've got 13 kinds of figs I could share cuttings from. 2 yellow, 2 green, 2 brown and 7 purple/black (the best if you ask me).
Thanks Pfalz. You gave me some great info and I appreciate it. I am going to skip the Peter's Honey. What's your opinion on black mission? I have read that celeste grows well here - are LSU golden Celeste and LSU Gold good for fresh eating? I love to pick and eat. I want to buy just one fruiting size fig tree because I love figs and want some soon. But, I would love some of your cuttings. Thanks for offering. I will pm you. Pike's on Johnson Rd said they get 4 serviceberry trees a year. They just sold the last one from last year's shipment of 5. They took my name and said they will call me when they come in - but I'll check out Edible Landscaping. I have heard that Pike's serviceberry's are expensive. Thank you again. I'll get that pm to you in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte