Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM

343 posts, read 602,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
did some quick research
here is the link to the Kannapolis Intimidators concession site.
Concessions Items | Kannapolis Intimidators CMC-NorthEast Stadium

These prices are more in line with what I would expect at a minor league stadium hoping to attract a family.
A couple of things:

1) You are comparing a single A minor league club to a AAA minor league club. Throughout the year, you will have plenty of opportunities to see major league players at a Knights game. Better product = higher prices.

2) Many of those prices aren't much different? Especially considering the location (Kannapolis vs. Uptown Charlotte)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM

343 posts, read 602,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
Let's post what it was at the previous stadium while we're at it.

Knights Stadium Reviews, Charlotte Knights | Stadium Journey

"The baskets include "The Heater" (hot sauce, pepper jack, jalapenos), queso (nacho cheese and Ro-Tel) burger or, Southern (barbecue sauce, cheddar cheese, and cole slaw) burger ($9), cheeseburger or Italian sausage ($8), and bratwurst or jumbo topped hot dog ($7). Other stands - one of which was not open on the night I attended - also offer chicken tender or fried pickle baskets for $7, chili cheese fries for $7 and hot dog baskets for $5. Many additional options are available, with Fritos chili pie ($3.50), bottomless popcorn ($4.50), and Papa John's pizza ($4 a slice) among those.

Coca-Cola is the park's bottler, with bottled sodas or water ($3.50) and regular ($3.75), large ($4.25), and souvenir ($5.50, $2 per refill) cups available. Lemonade is also available at one of the specialty stands for $5. Beer is served at several stands throughout the park, with a small can for $6 and a large can for $8. There is also a local choice, with Olde Mecklenburg Draught available for $7.

Your sweet tooth will also not be neglected, with cotton candy ($6 for large, $4 for regular), Ben & Jerry's ice cream ($6 for large, $4.50 for small), and a number of fried desserts available. Funnel cakes are $5.50, and they can be topped with cherry, strawberry, whipped cream, or chocolate fudge. The "fudge" is actually Hershey's syrup, and it is recommended that you get a dusting of sugar on top of the cake along with whatever topping you choose, unless you really like salty desserts. Fried Oreos, Snickers bars, and s'mores ($5.50 each) are available on the weekends, but the portions are rather small, with one Snickers bar or two Oreos among the serving sizes for this price."

Doesn't seem like prices are exclusive to the move to BB&T Ballpark but they've always been that high. Might be that no one used to go to that stadium to be outraged about it.
Bingo.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM

16,774 posts, read 8,255,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
did some quick research
here is the link to the Kannapolis Intimidators concession site.
Concessions Items | Kannapolis Intimidators CMC-NorthEast Stadium

These prices are more in line with what I would expect at a minor league stadium hoping to attract a family.
Kannapolis great place for Ball Game, easy to get to off I-85 exit 63, Friday and Saturday night games have fireworks after game. They have a great play area for kids down right field line.
A really great place to watch a game is Newman Field on the Catawba College campus.

I will be going to Knights game next week, cant wait. Keeps you young.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,132,289 times
I had a friend from Australia visit me last year and we went to Carowinds. Ate at the Chick-Fila there. 2 chicken sandwich combo meals were $25. Oh, and their combo DOES NOT include a drink...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM

533 posts, read 938,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Also I live in NYC but am from Charlotte, and a beer at a yankees game is $15, so don't complain at 8.
Yeah but your watching the Yankees. Not some minor league team.

Food and beer should be cheap. That's sorta the whole point of farm leagues...

Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM

189 posts, read 334,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post

They need to make money. Tickets are cheap to get you in the door. Concessions are where margins are made. It'd be counter intuitive to deter the public by increasing ticket prices and reducing concessions.

Heck, I understand it's more than some wish to pay. But items that were referenced in this thread are BBQ which is made over at Queen City Q and brought to the stadium. And beer which they've done a good job bringing in local breweries. If it were some nasty Aramark food and Bud Light I can see the complaint. But it's a stadium and local vendors. I don't see the big deal...

Last edited by clevelandguy811; 04-17-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,982,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post

I agree. I don't really see the appeal of paying so much to see minor league players. If I were to pay that, I'd just go all out and drive to Atlanta to watch the big boys. Seems like a lot of people don't care though because ball games are good place to drink LOL.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,740,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here are the prices for the Gastonia Grizzlies. Sims Legion Park Reviews, Gastonia Grizzlies | Stadium Journey (food & tickets)
Wow. LOL I'd pay just to see someone try to down one of those.

Garbage Can Nachos

..."challenge" for the low price of $15. This concoction contains three orders of nachos, a chopped hamburger patty, two chopped hot dogs, an order of cheese steak, which is all covered with nacho cheese and chili. Jalapeno peppers are added for spice, and two glazed doughnuts are served on the side. (And yes, this is all apparently served on a clean garbage can lid.) If you can eat all this in ten minutes, the team will pay for your nachos and put your picture on a wall of fame. My picture will not grace this wall.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,873,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I agree. I don't really see the appeal of paying so much to see minor league players. If I were to pay that, I'd just go all out and drive to Atlanta to watch the big boys. Seems like a lot of people don't care though because ball games are good place to drink LOL.
Dude- many of these "minor leaguers" are already on the Sox 40 man roster, and simply play here because the MLB bench roster is only 25. Take Scott Carroll, for instance- threw 7 innings of shutout baseball Sunday afternoon. Though he's just rehabbed from Tommy John surgery, I would not be surprised in the least to see him get called.

These aren't "minor league" players in the "A" sense of the word. These are guys who are 1 phone call away from being in the bigs. Did you know, that Frank Thomas rehabbed with the Knights, back in 2005? Hardly "minor league."

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,982,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Dude- many of these "minor leaguers" are already on the Sox 40 man roster, and simply play here because the MLB bench roster is only 25. Take Scott Carroll, for instance- threw 7 innings of shutout baseball Sunday afternoon. Though he's just rehabbed from Tommy John surgery, I would not be surprised in the least to see him get called.

These aren't "minor league" players in the "A" sense of the word. These are guys who are 1 phone call away from being in the bigs. Did you know, that Frank Thomas rehabbed with the Knights, back in 2005? Hardly "minor league."
I have a friend and cousin that played AAA (and pros) so I kept up with rosters for a few years - occasionally a star player will pass through the AAA team but 80% of those guys are fringe pros or career minor league players.

Take the guy you mentioned for example - he's 30 years old and pitched in a total of two MLB games. I'd rather watch the Braves for free on TV than pay $100 to watch him pitch. I'm not trying to be insulting but it's hard for me to get excited about AAA baseball or look at them as "teams". It's like trying to be a NBDL fan. Hell, might as well go watch a local college or high school game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte