Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 18,331 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone , my company has asked me to move to Charlotte and our office is in Ballantyne Parkway ...... I was very interested in this but I was reading through some threads on the forum and was shocked to understand that there may be a factor of racism (I know it's very sensitive subject) . I am a Asian India (origin of India) and very concerned especially for the safety and culture of a place so that I can belong to a community . I have been in this country for 10 years and have lived across the country west , east , mid west and never thought about this....but looks like moving to south may be a bit sifferent . I would request anyone on this forum to please help me in deciding this move. At this point I was thinking of livign in Ballantyne, Waxhaw or Mathhews ....... I would really appreciate someone who is an asian indian and has lived in the area for number of years...... sorry guys I don't want to offend anybody but I want my family to be safe (have a 3.5 years old boy)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
I'm curious...what threads gave you a bad impression? I'm not an asian indian but I believe you will be fine. The majority of people here (NC natives and transplants) care about your character, not your race. Search this forum and you'll find many threads about racism/diversity.

Maybe there should be a "Is charlotte diverse/racist" sticky?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 31,408 times
There's a lot of uneducated, racist people in the South so don't be surprised when you run into some of them. However most people here are friendly and welcome most anyone that is friendly in return. Listening to WBT radio will give you the wrong impression as most of their listeners are of the uneducated, racist breed.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
You must have not been reading any Charlotte threads because any thread in the Charlotte forum regarding racism/diversity etc will reveal just the opposite of your fears. I think you have a preconceived notion that the south tends to be more racist prone, however, I find racist tendencies more prevalent in northern culture. This must be the millionth time I have said this, but the only color that matters in Charlotte is green. If you are kind to others you should not expect any thing different in return.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 18,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You must have not been reading any Charlotte threads because any thread in the Charlotte forum regarding racism/diversity etc will reveal just the opposite of your fears. I think you have a preconceived notion that the south tends to be more racist prone, however, I find racist tendencies more prevalent in northern culture. This must be the millionth time I have said this, but the only color that matters in Charlotte is green. If you are kind to others you should not expect any thing different in return.
Thanks , all of you ...I understand the frustration of this question for the people who live , but don't you think if you were in my shoes and were moving some place brand new, you would ask yourself , especially if you belong to a non-white , non-black , non-Hispanic groups ..... believe me I did read read through so many threads and was very excited about moving before I saw those threads . My intention is not to offend any local people , but to make an informed decision. I am still sure I am very inclined to move but want to see if I can get the right inputs to decide the move. Also I was thinking of living in the ballntyne , waxhaw, mathews area ....how diverse are these communities ? Please help me in this decision.......

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
I am still sure I am very inclined to move but want to see if I can get the right inputs to decide the move.
Champak -

I certainly do understand your apprehension. I don't think anyone here is offended by it. The answers above are the truth. If you are kind you will be treated kindly. Money, not race is what divides people here.

Only you can decide if this area is right for you. Good Luck with your decision!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONT_FALL View Post
...... Listening to WBT radio will give you the wrong impression as most of their listeners are of the uneducated, racist breed.
I'm sorry but That is totally out of line and bigoted. The dialog on WBT is open, frank and stimulating. The callers are of all shades of the spectrum from very liberal to very conservative, from dull and misinformed to brilliant and well educated. It's an open forum, much like this one. If you think something said on the program is racist and uneducated then you certainly have the right to call in and challenge what was said.

Your coment indicates that you are closed minded and intolerant if you honestly believe what you wrote! (and no, before you ask, I have no connection to WBT radio)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Default You will have no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by champak View Post
Thanks , all of you ...I understand the frustration of this question for the people who live , but don't you think if you were in my shoes and were moving some place brand new, you would ask yourself , especially if you belong to a non-white , non-black , non-Hispanic groups ..... believe me I did read read through so many threads and was very excited about moving before I saw those threads . My intention is not to offend any local people , but to make an informed decision. I am still sure I am very inclined to move but want to see if I can get the right inputs to decide the move. Also I was thinking of living in the ballntyne , waxhaw, mathews area ....how diverse are these communities ? Please help me in this decision.......
You will have no problem here, unless it is that so many people will want to welcome you and find out more about your native culture. As far as "popular culture" - Deepak Chopra has a huge following here . . . there is Ayurvedic medicine . . . Hatha and Kundalini Yoga . . . Hindi, Buddhist . . . all are welcomed. So there are bits of your native culture that Southerners are already eagerly learning about . . . and you will have no problem finding other Asian Indians here . . . as well as people from many other cultures and backgrounds.

There is a stereotype of Asian Indians here . . . but it is a very positive one. People tend to assume you are well-educated, have strong family ties, and are spiritual. So if you run into Americans who have a pre-conceived idea about your culture . . . it is basically a positive one.

The areas you mentioned are all very nice. Visit and I am sure you will find this area to be quite accommodating and very open to you and your family.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM

237 posts, read 298,729 times
I suggest you read up on the animosity expressed toward illegal aliens since you will probably be thought of as one of them ( india-ns do sometimes look a lot like latin people) and so you will have a better idea of what you will be up against.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
I suggest you read up on the animosity expressed toward illegal aliens since you will probably be thought of as one of them ( india-ns do sometimes look a lot like latin people) and so you will have a better idea of what you will be up against.
Are you kidding me? Being illegal has nothing to do with race! It just so happens that the overwhelming majority happen to be Latino. I have no animosity against a people, but I do have animosity against illegal immigration and the way our government has handled this crisis. You are very misinformed and cannot comprehend the importance of this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte