Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,683 times

Advertisements

I'm a young man married with two kids, that is looking foward to move out from the not anymore affordable city of NY, and i have pick charlotte because i been told for a few people that charlotte is good city, with good people, low crime, have some good schools. And i know it have less competitions for open jobs like NY. And of course a low rent, where in NY you can even pay a rent by yourself if you don't earn more than 30K per year.

Even though i don't have where to start, i'm thinking to go by myself first, try to stablish, then bring my family to Charlotte. If someone have a good advice i will apreciate it. I'm ready to accept the challenge, and ready to accept the chance from on very moved city to another more slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,202,972 times
Thumbs up Come on down!

What kind of advice do you want?

I think your idea is good - You come to Charlotte first and then your family follows later. Your biggest challenge is to find a job. What kind of work?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
What kind of advice do you want?

I think your idea is good - You come to Charlotte first and then your family follows later. Your biggest challenge is to find a job. What kind of work?
I don't know.. I would do anything, if i don't know something, with the proper training i would learn it as faster as anyone or better.. How is the job market over there?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM

625 posts, read 488,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquinnunez View Post
I don't know.. I would do anything, if i don't know something, with the proper training i would learn it as faster as anyone or better.. How is the job market over there?
Most companies now invest really little in training employees. They want to hire someone that already has the skills.

I can tell you from experience with my husband looking for work, that with may jobs not only do you need to know what you're doing you'll need the certifications to prove it. My husband knows more about machine repair and mechanics than many people that have the certifications and he had a hard time finding a job in that line of work (machinist, maintenance) because he doesn't have the certification / study behind him.

He interviewed with Frito Lay, took their tests and even made it to the last round of interviews and was told that though he did better than most of the guys that had the background and certificates, they couldn't hire him because he didn't have them.

He landed a job working in something he does have a diploma in -- cabinetry and wood working.

Basically, you need to have a skill and a focus. Regardless of how good the job market is somewhere (unless we're talking over in the oil fields out west). Studies have shown that the problem with unemployment we have now is not the lack of jobs, but the lack of people with skills to fill the jobs.

I would suggest focusing on what you can do and going from there. Saying "I'll do anything and can learn anything", won't get you a job. You'll just be in line with the hundreds of other Joe Schmoes that say the exact same thing.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 AM

Thank you for the advice

Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquinnunez View Post
I'm a young man married with two kids, that is looking foward to move out from the not anymore affordable city of NY, and i have pick charlotte because i been told for a few people that charlotte is good city, with good people, low crime, have some good schools. And i know it have less competitions for open jobs like NY. And of course a low rent, where in NY you can even pay a rent by yourself if you don't earn more than 30K per year.

Even though i don't have where to start, i'm thinking to go by myself first, try to stablish, then bring my family to Charlotte. If someone have a good advice i will apreciate it. I'm ready to accept the challenge, and ready to accept the chance from on very moved city to another more slower.
I applaud your decision to move to a better location to raise your family

However, not so sure Charlotte is the city for you. The average rent in decent/good parts of the city is now around $800 just for a one bedroom place - 2 bedrooms will be more - which I don't think qualifies as the "low rent" you are looking for.

In addition, Charlotte is a pretty white collar city and it doesn't sound like you have a particular career field. Most people looking for jobs have a lot of competition too, just FYI.

I would suggest you check out smaller cities not far from Charlotte like maybe Statesville, Gastonia, Salisbury or Hickory.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
I think you should give it a shot IF you are willing to get your hands dirty working a blue collar job. I get the impression English isn't your first language so ignore anyone who quotes $800 for a 1BR. They are talking about upscale living in Uptown or along the light rail.

You curently live in the Bronx, you probably aren't afraid of latino's, blacks... you can rent a 3BR house in East, West Charlotte or University for $900 and have a back yard.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think you should give it a shot IF you are willing to get your hands dirty working a blue collar job. I get the impression English isn't your first language so ignore anyone who quotes $800 for a 1BR. They are talking about upscale living in Uptown or along the light rail.

You curently live in the Bronx, you probably aren't afraid of latino's, blacks... you can rent a 3BR house in East, West Charlotte or University for $900 and have a back yard.
$800 IS the average price for a one bedroom apt in a desirable/safer area of Charlotte. I was NOT referring to "upscale living" or living in uptown - those kinds of apts start at around $1100 now.

There are complexes where you can still pay closer to $700 for a decent one bedroom place, but you better have good credit and not mind longer traffic clogged commutes and possibly crappier schools. With kids to consider, I thought our OP should know this.

The rental market in Charlotte is hot and tight.

It can be really tough to find a house for rent under $1000 except in more risky areas, including East Charlotte and the University area, which are not "risky" areas in general.

The OP needs to understand that living in Charlotte is not cheap and if he chooses a riskier area he may well wish he had stayed in the Bronx.

I stand by my suggestion that he is better off considering smaller cities around Charlotte than Charlotte itself.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
$800 IS the average price for a one bedroom apt in a desirable/safer area of Charlotte. I was NOT referring to "upscale living" or living in uptown - those kinds of apts start at around $1100 now.

There are complexes where you can still pay closer to $700 for a decent one bedroom place, but you better have good credit and not mind longer traffic clogged commutes and possibly crappier schools. With kids to consider, I thought our OP should know this.

The rental market in Charlotte is hot and tight.

It can be really tough to find a house for rent under $1000 except in more risky areas, including East Charlotte and the University area, which are not "risky" areas in general.

The OP needs to understand that living in Charlotte is not cheap and if he chooses a riskier area he may well wish he had stayed in the Bronx.

I stand by my suggestion that he is better off considering smaller cities around Charlotte than Charlotte itself.
Sorry but I have to disagree. Please remember this person is coming from the Bronx. There are 3 BR houses and apartments for rent in Charlotte for $1000.

It won't be desirable for some but for others it will be just fine.

I don't know if this is against the rules but this is available in Cotswold for $1,150

A few years ago I lived in a 2BR/2Bth for $750 in Cotswold. I'm sure it's gone up but I doubt it is more than $900.

There is also another house in Cotswold that is on Mccalway Dr that was renovated for a flip and I guess it didn't sell so they are trying to rent it. $1,150 for 3BR/2Bth with hardwoods. A little more than $1000 but still, if you can get that in Cotswold I'm sure there are places that are a little less desirable that are still safe.

If these are legit then there are definitely spots available in University, East Charlotte, South Charlotte that are doable for a person from the Bronx. Just remember what you think is undesirable/unsafe may be OK for the average person.

Also remember this guy is willing to come down by himself before bringing his family down. He can find a 1BR for $600.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 08-25-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 AM

625 posts, read 488,374 times
I agree. Having lived in the Bronx about 14 years ago, I can say that pretty much anything will be cheaper here than there. Back then I was paying close to 1K a month for a one bedroom apartment in an OK neighborhood. I'm sure that apartment has to be at least $1500 a month now. You can rent a house here for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte