Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree. Please remember this person is coming from the Bronx. There are 3 BR houses and apartments for rent in Charlotte for $1000.

It won't be desirable for some but for others it will be just fine.

I don't know if this is against the rules but this is available in Cotswold for $1,150
4208 Water Oak Rd, Charlotte, NC 28211 is For Rent - Zillow

A few years ago I lived in a 2BR/2Bth for $750 in Cotswold. I'm sure it's gone up but I doubt it is more than $900.

There is also another house in Cotswold that is on Mccalway Dr that was renovated for a flip and I guess it didn't sell so they are trying to rent it. $1,150 for 3BR/2Bth with hardwoods. A little more than $1000 but still, if you can get that in Cotswold I'm sure there are places that are a little less desirable that are still safe.

If these are legit then there are definitely spots available in University, East Charlotte, South Charlotte that are doable for a person from the Bronx. Just remember what you think is undesirable/unsafe may be OK for the average person.

Also remember this guy is willing to come down by himself before bringing his family down. He can find a 1BR for $600.
First of all, you are not allowed to post real estate links here.

Secondly, that first house on Monroe is NOT in Cotswold.

Third, what could once be rented for $750 is now likely going to be at least $950.

Fourth, McAlway is the hood on the fringe of Cotswold, not Cotswold, and even still you made my point that you can't find a decent house for under $1000 in a desirable/safe area of Charlotte.

Yes, you can find a one bedroom in an less desirable area for around $600, give or take 50 bucks, but you will have to sign a one year lease and I didn't think any family man would want to live without his family for a year - or with them in such tiny quarters for any length of time.

Again, the AVERAGE price for an apartment in decent areas of Charlotte NC right now, today, is $800.

In case you do not understand the concept of "average" that means some might be more, some might be less, but in general that is what people should expect to pay when planning to move to a city they do not know and cannot always easily find the best deal or situation in on their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
I agree. Having lived in the Bronx about 14 years ago, I can say that pretty much anything will be cheaper here than there. Back then I was paying close to 1K a month for a one bedroom apartment in an OK neighborhood. I'm sure that apartment has to be at least $1500 a month now. You can rent a house here for that.
Agree that living most places will be cheaper (and nicer) than living in the Bronx

But the OP mentioned wanting "low rent". Since he didn't specify what he considers "low rent" and the term can be subjective I was only giving him ballpark figures to help him understand the reality of rent in Charlotte

Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
As has been said, the main correction from the original post is that there is a lot of competition for jobs here.

There are good schools, but there are also bad schools (like anywhere else), and there is also some crime (like anywhere else).

Don't mean to jump to conclusions but judging by your username is it safe to assume you are Hispanic? Can you speak Spanish? There is a growing Hispanic population here and being bilingual is a big plus. One thing you can use that for which I've seen job postings for that don't always require a ton of experience is a leasing consultant at an apartment complex. Which can kill two birds with one stone because you'd also usually be able to get a discount on rent.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I think you should give it a shot IF you are willing to get your hands dirty working a blue collar job. I get the impression English isn't your first language so ignore anyone who quotes $800 for a 1BR. They are talking about upscale living in Uptown or along the light rail.

You curently live in the Bronx, you probably aren't afraid of latino's, blacks... you can rent a 3BR house in East, West Charlotte or University for $900 and have a back yard.
Looks like we were both wrong

$800 USED to be the average apt price in Charlotte - now it's over $900.

Knew rents had climbed, especially in the last 2 years.

Average Rent In Charlotte, Charlotte Rent Trends and Rental Comps

"As of July, 2014, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Charlotte, NC is $908."

Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
First of all, you are not allowed to post real estate links here.

Secondly, that first house on Monroe is NOT in Cotswold.

Third, what could once be rented for $750 is now likely going to be at least $950.

Fourth, McAlway is the hood on the fringe of Cotswold, not Cotswold, and even still you made my point that you can't find a decent house for under $1000 in a desirable/safe area of Charlotte.

Yes, you can find a one bedroom in an less desirable area for around $600, give or take 50 bucks, but you will have to sign a one year lease and I didn't think any family man would want to live without his family for a year - or with them in such tiny quarters for any length of time.

Again, the AVERAGE price for an apartment in decent areas of Charlotte NC right now, today, is $800.

In case you do not understand the concept of "average" that means some might be more, some might be less, but in general that is what people should expect to pay when planning to move to a city they do not know and cannot always easily find the best deal or situation in on their own
First, noted and link removed.

Second, That house is on Water Oak Rd, right behind Walker Rd within walking distance to Randolph Middle School. I used to walk past it when exercising in the neighborhood.

Third, I'm not sure but even if it is $950 that means there are apts. for less outside of Cotswold that would be considered acceptable.

4th, McAlway isn't the hood but it is right next to a less than stellar apt. complex. However, if you ride down that street you will see homes listed for 400K and a few more for 500 to 600K. As long as you don't hang out in the apt complex late at night looking for trouble you will be fine.

I didn't make your point, I showed you what you could find in and around Cotswold for $1,150... so best believe you can find houses for less than $1000 in other areas.

While the AVERAGE price for an apt is $800 it doesn't mean there aren't apartments to be had for less in decent neighborhoods. Thanks for the condescending definition of average but the OP didn't ask about the average as far as I know.

The OP asked if apartments were less than the Bronx... and like GoPhil pointed out, he sounds like he is hispanic so throw those averages out the window and give the man legit information that he can use for HIS situation. A person who is willing to do anything and is willing to move without his family to find a better life isn't going to look for a $1,100 apartment in a "safe" area when he arrives.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
As has been said, the main correction from the original post is that there is a lot of competition for jobs here.

There are good schools, but there are also bad schools (like anywhere else), and there is also some crime (like anywhere else).

Don't mean to jump to conclusions but judging by your username is it safe to assume you are Hispanic? Can you speak Spanish? There is a growing Hispanic population here and being bilingual is a big plus. One thing you can use that for which I've seen job postings for that don't always require a ton of experience is a leasing consultant at an apartment complex. Which can kill two birds with one stone because you'd also usually be able to get a discount on rent.
This is what I thought as well GoPhil. The OP is probably hispanic (apologies if not) and would have no problem living in areas where they are populated. Trust me, they aren't paying the AVERAGE price for a Charlotte apt.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:

The OP asked if apartments were less than the Bronx
... and like GoPhil pointed out, he sounds like he is hispanic so throw those averages out the window and give the man legit information that he can use for HIS situation. A person who is willing to do anything and is willing to move without his family to find a better life isn't going to look for a $1,100 apartment in a "safe" area when he arrives.
Actually, he didn't.

He only said he wants "low rent".

I gave him information to help him understand the lay of the land.

And as far as your comment "While the AVERAGE price for an apt is $800 it doesn't mean there aren't apartments to be had for less in decent neighborhoods." I already said that myself

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, he didn't.

He only said he wants "low rent".

I gave him information to help him understand the lay of the land.

And as far as your comment "While the AVERAGE price for an apt is $800 it doesn't mean there aren't apartments to be had for less in decent neighborhoods." I already said that myself

Thanks for the eye roll. My life is now complete!

Anyways...

Actually he did, he complained about rent prices in NY so why the heck would he want rent prices that are higher or the same? The reason he wants to move is because he heard we have low rent compared to NY and we do.

What he didn't ask for is the AVERAGE RENT...lol.

There is flexibility when apartment searching and someone who is willing to move without his family to find a better life should be given information that matches his criteria/background.

If he is willing to work anywhere or do anything then he is more than likely willing to live in an apartment that is less than $800 and isn't in the safest or most desirable neighborhood.

While apartments average $800 or $900 it's mostly due to all the new apartments being built that push up the average. That being said (congrats, you already said it) the market DOES have a nice inventory of apts that are affordable for those who aren't looking for granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
I think the OP's grasp of the English language is fine, but their plan to move somewhere they have been told is a good fit, without apparently ever visiting or doing much research outside of being told that homes are cheap and jobs are plentiful shows a much lower grasp of reality.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquinnunez View Post
I don't know.. I would do anything, if i don't know something, with the proper training i would learn it as faster as anyone or better.. How is the job market over there?
Not a good idea to move to an area you don't really know anything about, with no job plan. You might do better doing a search for jobs that you are qualified for and seeing where you find one, and moving there--anywhere is going to be cheaper than NYC. Charlotte is not a particularly "cheap" city compared to many. If your only goal is somewhere cheaper than NYC and a good job market, you might try Texas--that's where the real booming areas area and it's probably even cheaper than NC.

Wherever you look, you need to go to the chosen city and explore for yourself to see if it is a good fit, before deciding to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte