Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 PM

32 posts, read 32,417 times

Advertisements

OUCH!! I hope prices are a little chaeper these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would never say "higher rent equals less crime" in Charlotte at all. Most folks realize crime can and does happen anywhere.

Houses you are seeing for $700-800 online can look nice and many are newer construction, built in the big housing bubble when anyone and everyone could get a loan, many of which have been foreclosed on since. So the homes are "decent", sure. The neighborhoods, not so much.

See, Charlotte doesn't have "slums" or "ghettos", we have "challenged neighborhoods", most with failing schools. Since you said you need an elementary school I assumed a good one was going to be a priority for you.

Tell you what, when you find a house you think you like online, give the street address here and people will be happy to tell you what they know about that area okay?

Oh, and townhomes and condo's are a great place to be looking, you likely will find something in your budget if you go that route.

5202 amity springs dr

4724 thornwood

1913 garibaldi

1467 summer coach dr

and oh...1339 braveheart. this one is one our short list.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyaweirdo View Post
5202 amity springs dr

4724 thornwood

1913 garibaldi

1467 summer coach dr

and oh...1339 braveheart. this one is one our short list.
On this list, Summer Coach is your best option.

The first 3 on your list are all basically the hood. You will hear occasional gunshots.

Braveheart is not a terrible area but the school is very low performing. VERY.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Oh goodness. Im wondering if braveheart would be a better choice IF i were to continue homeschooling my 5 yr old. She's only in Kindergarten so juuuuussst maybe we could finish out this first school year at home (in Charlotte)since it seems there are decent neighborhoods that have bad schools. Does anyone agree? I was only planning to rent for one more year anyways....so maybe I should hold off on her being in public school until then for the sake of having a decent house within budget...ya know...when we buy a nice house in a nice area with nice schools, she'll be just starting 1st grade.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Oh goodness. Im wondering if braveheart would be a better choice IF i were to continue homeschooling my 5 yr old. She's only in Kindergarten so juuuuussst maybe we could finish out this first school year at home (in Charlotte)since it seems there are decent neighborhoods that have bad schools. Does anyone agree? I was only planning to rent for one more year anyways....so maybe I should hold off on her being in public school until then for the sake of having a decent house within budget...ya know...when we buy a nice house in a nice area with nice schools, she'll be just starting 1st grade.
Braveheart and Summer Coach are in the same general area so either would be okay, though again, Summer Coach is the best of them all. How will you homeschool your 5 year old if you are working? (thought I saw another thread where you say you needed daycare?)

Old 09-20-2014, 11:07 AM

I dont NEED daycare unless I choose to work...which would likely be a work from home type of thing. I dont really have to though.....which is why Im able to homeschool my 5 yr old right now. I didnt point out that Im an artist and have been able to live quite well without working for the last 3 yrs. It also helps more than I can say that my childrens dad is totally for me being able to stay home and be self employed and/or work from home if thats the route I choose. I just wanted daycare suggestions just in case.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I dont NEED daycare unless I choose to work...which would likely be a work from home type of thing. I dont really have to though.....which is why Im able to homeschool my 5 yr old right now. I didnt point out that Im an artist and have been able to live quite well without working for the last 3 yrs. It also helps more than I can say that my childrens dad is totally for me being able to stay home and be self employed and/or work from home if thats the route I choose. I just wanted daycare suggestions just in case.
Okay, it's great you have options!

You could always check out the school once you move and decide about whether or not you want to put your child there. If you homeschool you have to contact the state and follow a few guidelines, just FYI.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM

I think the school assignment for Summer Creek would be Hornets Nest Elementary. While it's not tops in the ratings parents who review it on Great Schools seem happy with the atmosphere and teachers.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM

OK great info! Ive already called and gotten the 411 on homeschooling in NC. Its not at all different from here in TN...so easy transition for us on that part. I guess once we get there, we can make our final decision though . Thanks for the info, LovesMountains!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:25 AM

152 posts, read 193,687 times
You do not need to follow guidelines if you don't plan to homeschool past kindergarten. Kindergarten is not required. However, your child will be assessed before entering the public school to determine what grade CMS thinks he/she is ready for.
School Entry Age — NC State Board of Education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte