Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 PM

105 posts, read 244,103 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of negative comments here & there from folks about the down sides to living in Charlotte, but after the last couple of days here in New England - I say I'll trade places with just about any of you!
To all of you New England transplants (& I know you're out there), if it makes you feel any better about your decision to move, let me tell you...
when I left work tonight (in Auburn, Maine), the bank sign said it was 2 degrees!!
With the wind chill - it is in the negative (zero degrees in my front yard).
The frost heaves are blooming & the snow is several feet deep in my yard!
I'd rather flip burgers all day in the winter chill of North Carolina than deal with this anymore! (yes, I realize that the other side of the story is the hot summer weather - but that's ok!)
There, I hope I've help put things in perspective a bit for you!

Oh yeah - 1 more thing...GO PATS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
I've read a lot of negative comments here & there from folks about the down sides to living in Charlotte, but after the last couple of days here in New England - I say I'll trade places with just about any of you!
To all of you New England transplants (& I know you're out there), if it makes you feel any better about your decision to move, let me tell you...
when I left work tonight (in Auburn, Maine), the bank sign said it was 2 degrees!!
I'd rather flip burgers all day in the winter chill of North Carolina than deal with this anymore! (yes, I realize that the other side of the story is the hot summer weather - but that's ok!)

Aulani - I hate to break it to you but the thermometer on my front porch is showing that it's 17 degrees out there. Not exactly a shining example of the balmy South.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 PM

43 posts, read 125,149 times
It's even in the 30's in Florida....

Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM

105 posts, read 244,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Aulani - I hate to break it to you but the thermometer on my front porch is showing that it's 17 degrees out there. Not exactly a shining example of the balmy South.
LOL! 17 degrees - that is downright TOASTY!
Ok, then - how much snow have you cleared from your car & driveway? My poor (short) dog can't even do her business until after my plow guy clears my driveway, or I shovel a path for her. My arms will be looking like Barry Bonds' by the end of this winter! Yikes!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
They just need to raise taxes and charge people a weather tax for allowing it to get so out of control (just kidding) esp if any politicians looking for new ideas/
Weather is just of CONTROL run for hills better yet Bermuda

Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
LOL! 17 degrees - that is downright TOASTY!
Ok, then - how much snow have you cleared from your car & driveway? My poor (short) dog can't even do her business until after my plow guy clears my driveway, or I shovel a path for her. My arms will be looking like Barry Bonds' by the end of this winter! Yikes!
Aulani - You've got us beat there! My snow shovel is still laying in my old garage in NJ. Some day I may actually use one down here, but a small broom has worked fine for the last two years!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
And yet, I constantly run into folks who say that they "miss the snow". Personally, I don't know what there's to miss, unless you're a kid or a real avid skier. Even then, all you need to do is take a trip up to the mountains and get all the snow you need.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:

First of all, F the Pats! Save it for the New England C-D state forums....

The two coldest places I've been to in my life were Eau Claire, Wisconsin in Jan '03 and Bangor, ME in Jan '05. Bangor had an actual air temp of -13F. The wind was kicking up around 10mph at the time so I don't want to even go there in terms of wind chill factor. People, what we have had in Charlotte is NOT cold..-13F is COLD. It literally "hurts" to breathe. Its really indescribable (sp?).

Also, the problem w/Maine is that your snowpack doesn't melt till April, and by then you have a muddy mess from all the thaw....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM

58 posts, read 181,580 times
There are plenty of Pats fans in CLT. I went to dinner while visiting there a week ago and saw a jeep with a Pats wheel cover and NC plates that said Brady 12. I also caught part of the game at the Beantown Tavern and if it weren't for the smoke...I may have thought I was in New England. Ummm..so I have to second the Go Pats! That being said...one of the reasons that I am choosing CLT to relocate to is because there are professional sports in the area. I plan to be a regular at the Knights games.

In regard to the cold and snow...the single digits business is the pits! The coldest place that I have ever visited was Fort McMurray, Alberta where it got as low as -29F during my visit. You had to plug the car in when you parked it which was probably the case in WI. When it gets that cold, I don't think you can even feel the difference between -15 and -25..brutal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
First of all, F the Pats! Save it for the New England C-D state forums....

The two coldest places I've been to in my life were Eau Claire, Wisconsin in Jan '03 and Bangor, ME in Jan '05. Bangor had an actual air temp of -13F. The wind was kicking up around 10mph at the time so I don't want to even go there in terms of wind chill factor. People, what we have had in Charlotte is NOT cold..-13F is COLD. It literally "hurts" to breathe. Its really indescribable (sp?).

Also, the problem w/Maine is that your snowpack doesn't melt till April, and by then you have a muddy mess from all the thaw....

Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecherif View Post
There are plenty of Pats fans in CLT. I went to dinner while visiting there a week ago and saw a jeep with a Pats wheel cover and NC plates that said Brady 12. I also caught part of the game at the Beantown Tavern and if it weren't for the smoke...I may have thought I was in New England. Ummm..so I have to second the Go Pats! That being said...one of the reasons that I am choosing CLT to relocate to is because there are professional sports in the area. I plan to be a regular at the Knights games.

In regard to the cold and snow...the single digits business is the pits! The coldest place that I have ever visited was Fort McMurray, Alberta where it got as low as -29F during my visit. You had to plug the car in when you parked it which was probably the case in WI. When it gets that cold, I don't think you can even feel the difference between -15 and -25..brutal!
I know there are alot of Pats fans here. I'm just tweaking them since I'm a Jets fan.... no harm...

wow, -29F is impressive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: