Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,964 times

Advertisements

For those like me who were really thinking seriously about cutting the cable cord but just couldn't pull the trigger due to various reasons (sports, certain channels you still wanted, etc.) there is a new product announced at CES this year called Sling TV.

This product delivers exactly what so many people have wanted for so long....the most popular channels at a reasonable price without all the other junk channels thrown in that no one cares about. Content will be delivered via the internet and there is no contract, cancel at any time.

The really interesting part is that while this initial package is $20 I've read where in the future they could add-on additional options/channels for you to choose from so you can build the channel lineup you actually WANT to pay for. What a novel concept!

Between this and other services such as Netflix, Roku, Chromecast, PlayOn, etc. the big cable companies should really start getting serious about evolving their business model and how they serve customers instead of just raising their prices and offering less as they do it.

I cut the cord yesterday with TWC and plan on sitting on the $110/month I'll save for a while and maybe after this new technology gets the kinks worked out (and college football rolls back around in the fall!) I will add this to my internet delivered content stream.

Exciting times for the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
I have heard of it and will look into it. My husband is the last hanger on to our cable in our home. He likes all the DIY, Nat Geo, Travel etc channels. If Sling offers those and new ones at that, not old ones like on Amazon, he would do it. And he hates Hulu (as I do too) with all the dang commercials.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,976 times
You still buy in packages with SlingTV but they are smaller packages. I am hoping they add more packages. I am also hoping that TWC and the other TV providers can also put packages out. It will be great for competition. I also see the telecom's using this as a reason to increase internet prices. We'll see how it goes but so far it is a good start. I just need NBC Sports and BeIN sport then I'll be really happy.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 AM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
You still buy in packages with SlingTV but they are smaller packages. I am hoping they add more packages. I am also hoping that TWC and the other TV providers can also put packages out. It will be great for competition. I also see the telecom's using this as a reason to increase internet prices. We'll see how it goes but so far it is a good start. I just need NBC Sports and BeIN sport then I'll be really happy.
I echo this with NBC/BeIN.. luckily I know someone with a u-verse login that I can use but BeINs streaming as absolute crap... every time its a big game (such as yesterday Barca vs Atletico) it craps out.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I echo this with NBC/BeIN.. luckily I know someone with a u-verse login that I can use but BeINs streaming as absolute crap... every time its a big game (such as yesterday Barca vs Atletico) it craps out.
I've seen that happen with Fox Sports before when they had EPL matches. I havent tried BeIN streaming. This is one reason why I hope the big cable companies also start doing what SlingTV does.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 AM

I just saw it's from Dish Network... no thank you. I'll wait till someone else competes with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 AM

227 posts, read 393,003 times
I saw this a few days ago too, and I'm definitely interested. The only reason we have cable is because my spouse likes live tv in the background and on lazy days, preferable HGTV, so this should do the trick. I also wonder about internet prices though. Time Warner will look to make a certain profit each quarter. If they don't get it from TV prices, then they'll shoot for higher internet prices. Since they're the only good option in my neighborhood, they can pretty much charge what they want and I'll have to pay it. All they have to do is raise the base rate, or start implementing a data cap, and that will offset savings from dropping cable tv.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Sling has been around awhile it was mostly a way to watch tv anywhere. You could set it up at home and log in and watch your tv wherever you were. They now started doing the packages and I like it. I do not like our current options and if the packages are right and you can still watch tv anywhere using sling this might be the best option out there.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I just saw it's from Dish Network... no thank you. I'll wait till someone else competes with it.
Dish has has used them for awhile. Is this still through them or is this Sling doing their own TV bundles?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Dish has has used them for awhile. Is this still through them or is this Sling doing their own TV bundles?
I don't know but I'm not a fan of Dish . I stopped reading Ayeri saw it was them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte