Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnomad View Post
So far I can't stand Charlotte. I actually only logged into City-Data because I'm already researching options to move away from this terrible place. It was actually even worse than I expected.

Crime is horrible. We never feel safe here.

There is absolutely no local culture. And people think that hopping onto 4 different highways to see something in the same city is normal.

It's the worst place I've ever lived, and I regret moving here every single day.

I am going to finish out my lease term and then get away from here as fast as possible.
Wow! Not sure I've ever read a respond so down on the city!? Sounds like it has been a miserable time there for you. How long have you lived there and why did you move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 AM

13 posts, read 36,145 times
...and where is all the crime? What areas? Any large city has some crime depending on location..

I currently live in Voorhees, NJ, maybe 20 minutes away from Philadelphia. We live in an area that is about as safe and desirable as can be... yet, 15 minutes away is Camden, NJ, maybe the most crime ridden city in the US. Location, location, location applies to all aspects of real estate. ;-/

Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRobinson10 View Post
I'm a black American female, the looks I get and slight disrespect, and guess what I don't even have to part my lips, plus housing is to expensive for no reason! Thanks for responding!
I’m a black female. I lived in Nashville between 2010 and 2012, never experienced any racism at all. It was the friendliest city I’ve been to. I’m confused at how it’s changed? Nonetheless Charlotte has a larger black population and is very integrated IMO. I love it. But it isn’t that much cheaper imo. The housing isn’t as cheap as you would think. If you want me to be honest. I mean it’s more affordable than housing in Philly(which I lived before moving here), but I think it’s probably comparable to Nashville. One of the things that is surprising is that groceries here are more expensive than in Philly. I live in highland creek, and the neighborhood grocery stores Harris teeter and publix, and target are pretty expensive. It’s a lot of outrageous pricing—way more expensive than when I lived in philly. Food lion is a little better but it’s one of the things I was shocked about. Once I factor in food, and gas, even for the cheaper housing, it’s not as inexpensive as you think. Compared to Philly yes, but I think it’s neck and neck to Nashville.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM

I want to echo your comments Faith2187, I’ve always found supermarket food prices to be more expensive down south compared to what we pay in the northeast. Our big chain around here (in NJ, 20 minutes from center city Philly) is Shop Rite. I have family in Elizabeth City, N C area... and I have a place in Sarasota, FL. For comparison. It’s sometimes SHOCKING how much more Publix, etc charges for the exact same items as here. I.e. Hellmanns Mayo around here is often at 2.99, its $5.99 there. A certain brand chunk Swiss cheese (can’t think of the brand right now) around here is 4.99-5.99 a lb. same exact cheese at Sarasota Publix... $11.99! Wth?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2ge View Post
I want to echo your comments Faith2187, I’ve always found supermarket food prices to be more expensive down south compared to what we pay in the northeast. Our big chain around here (in NJ, 20 minutes from center city Philly) is Shop Rite. I have family in Elizabeth City, N C area... and I have a place in Sarasota, FL. For comparison. It’s sometimes SHOCKING how much more Publix, etc charges for the exact same items as here. I.e. Hellmanns Mayo around here is often at 2.99, its $5.99 there. A certain brand chunk Swiss cheese (can’t think of the brand right now) around here is 4.99-5.99 a lb. same exact cheese at Sarasota Publix... $11.99! Wth?
Publix isn't trying to compete on price and they aren't shy about it. All of their advertising is focused on service and they have built a lot of loyalty on that model in Florida, so it seems to work for them. Harris Teeter goes after the same market in Charlotte. Stores clustered in high income areas, monopolizing market share, and focusing on lots of luxuries and conveniences like curb-side pickup, hot food bars, wine bars in the store, guacamole bars, etc.... as they build new stores rather than advertise price.

The bargain shopper pretty much has Walmart, Aldi, and Food Lion specials. Lidl is new, but their share is very small in the area.

Walmart, Neighborhood Market, and Sam's Club lead grocery market share in most markets in the Southeast, so other supermarkets differentiate by features / shopping experience and then charge more so they don't have to go head-to-head with Walmart.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 PM

I hear ya... and I understand Publixs’ marketing angle.

Everything Publix does, ShopRite does as well or better (personal shopping with delivery, multiple hot bars. Ex: To-order sushi, Chinese, Mexican, American hot bars, gourmet cheese depts, prepared dinners, etc..) with much lower prices and a greater selection of products, ShopRite Stores are huge. We have some of the highest dollar generating stores in the country here. (Marlton, NJ had the first self checkout, they recently tested this high speed scanning system.. you just placed your products on a belt that was flying!) New technology is often tested at ShopRites here, years before they hit the rest of the country.

We have all the main chains here including Wegmans.

Bottom line, supermarket Food is more expensive down south. I’m willing to accept that in lieu of just about everything else being cheaper in the Carolinas, and the number 1... PROPERTY TAXES.

Last edited by w2ge; 04-06-2018 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Spilling mistooks

Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 14,153 times
Hello,
We relocated to the Charlotte area almost 5 years ago from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida with our four kids and absolutely love it. We chose Union County because coming from South Florida we wanted a little quieter area where we could still enjoy uptown. So if anyone is looking for more suburbs I would suggest looking at Union county in the Weddington, Waxhaw and Wesley Chapel area. For those of you wanting to stay in Charlotte that's a great choice too. Obviously Dilworth and Myers Park are beautiful, my dream neighborhoods, but very expensive. There are still a lot of great areas not too far from the city. Look at Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, Stonehaven, Lansdowne, and into the Southpark area. For the dog owners in the group, Charlotte is extremely dog friendly. Good luck everybody, it's very exciting, hope you love it as much as I do.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM

184 posts, read 244,469 times
I'm moving from Florida to Kannapolis soon. I love Publix and pay attention to their sales and BOGO's. OF the other grocery stores in Fla, Publix was Not the most expensive and it's a good shopping experience all around. I do Not like Food Lion, too many issues with their actions in past. I try not to shop at Walmart, but do. They are not a corporation I admire, esp how they have treated employees and only got better when they were shamed into it. When visiting my sister in your area I do think Harris Teeter is way higher than Publix. It will be interesting to see if the Publix in Charlotte area has similar prices that I pay here. Only thing at Aldi I generally like is the produce pricing. I've tried several of the brands they carry and been disappointed. Bought cereal that was awful, got pretzels that tasted burnt. I don't know IF yall have "Dollar General" stores, but a few are " D G Market stores" and carry food. Good sales come up, esp produce, Smithfield packaged meats.

I wonder if the Southern region of the US is generally higher priced because of shipping, or some other known cause. Maybe "denser" cities up North get a break because stores are closer together. Well, that was long ! Just wanted to weigh in on shopping as it's such an big part of daily life.
I will def shop around and seek a MAIN grocery store, as I sometimes get special items elsewhere. Thanks, deb

Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM

184 posts, read 244,469 times
Default Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Not sure why you brought politics into it.
I understand not wanting to always get into politics. But, some might be concerned because politics do have an impact on us with laws, military,local election impact, etc. I try and keep posts on point, but sometimes it comes into conversation. Unfortunately !

Old 04-26-2018, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,855 times
Charlotte is a great city to live in. I travel extensively, and it is situated conveniently for domestic and international travel. The city is growing all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte