Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times

Advertisements

I realize I'm one too. A transplant, that is. But seriously, how many new people are moving to the area DAILY? Or do all those out-of-state license plates belong to people "just checking the place out"?
I drove from Rea Road (in Union County) to Providence Road over to the Arboretum and then back to Rea Road via Pineville-Matthews Road today (Saturday). I had to make some returns and run some errands.
In my travels I counted 26 license plates from other states! Most of them from NY, second only to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I realize I'm one too. A transplant, that is. But seriously, how many new people are moving to the area DAILY? Or do all those out-of-state license plates belong to people "just checking the place out"?
I drove from Rea Road (in Union County) to Providence Road over to the Arboretum and then back to Rea Road via Pineville-Matthews Road today (Saturday). I had to make some returns and run some errands.
In my travels I counted 26 license plates from other states! Most of them from NY, second only to California.
I see as many NJ ones as NY and California too.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
The Garden State Parkway in the summer is all out of state license plates in the summer. I can relate.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
I see lots of NY and FL plates.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
The Garden State Parkway in the summer is all out of state license plates in the summer. I can relate.
Oh the good old garden state pkwy. How nice it was to drive for 2 hours on an open road...Most of those out of state license plates you talk about in the summer are just visitors though. Most of the out of state plates in NC now are living here but have not yet given up the license plate where they came from. Hmmm...I wonder if this could have something to do with the annual tax we pay on our vehicles in NC?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh the good old garden state pkwy. How nice it was to drive for 2 hours on an open road...Most of those out of state license plates you talk about in the summer are just visitors though. Most of the out of state plates in NC now are living here but have not yet given up the license plate where they came from. Hmmm...I wonder if this could have something to do with the annual tax we pay on our vehicles in NC? At any rate it doesn't help that NC car insurance agencies do not require residency in NC to have NC car insurance. Which is probably why we see so many different license plates.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Summer16 - You're getting visitors, we're getting residents. We need a break to catch our breath! Tell tahiti to put a chain across the NJ turnpike for six months or so!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM

51 posts, read 163,443 times
Actually, I see only NC plates. Except for my FL plate, which I am not about to give up anytime soon. I'll keep the money that NC wants for a little while longer. AFAIC, I am paying it in state income tax and the extra Mecklenburg sales taxes.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:14 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
I made my money up big time by switching to NC plates and registering in NC. Taxes on my car may be $75 per year but I saved over $1000 per year in car insurance.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM

51 posts, read 163,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
I made my money up big time by switching to NC plates and registering in NC. Taxes on my car may be $75 per year but I saved over $1000 per year in car insurance.
Now that is something to consider. Curious as to where you are from. Insurance can't be much higher that it is in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte