Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times

Advertisements

You could definitely live in that area but the commute would not be that fun most all days, especially given the peak rush hour times you'd be traveling. Totally a personal preference in terms of whether you want to give up that extra time per day sitting on 77 though, especially if you are getting all you want from living in the areas you mentioned. Might just be a relative small price to pay in that case.

Exit 31 is probably where it really opens back up for folks heading north on 77 so unfortunately that wouldn't help you any, same way headed south, usually it's always backed up beyond exit 33, sometimes as far back as mile marker 38-40 headed south on 77, especially from 4-6.

I'd give Davidson a look for sure, it's a nice town and very walkable. Probably not as "hip" as the other areas you mentioned but certainly getting to some cool spots is a short drive away too. Mooresville, for all of it's positives, probably isn't one you'd love given where you've lived in the past as it's not a walkable city at all. I live in Mooresville and like it just fine but it's certainly not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose3 View Post
Damn. That's unfortunate. My work will be about 1 mile off of exit 31 if that makes any difference. Is the traffic just really slow up 77? I've heard good things about Davidson and it seems to have somewhat of a main street/downtown area.
The issue is that 77 is only two lanes each way from way north of Mooresville up to exit 23 in Huntersville. You may have a bit of an advantage but from what I see, the lanes in the opposite direction aren't much better than the ones I'm in.

Sounds like you will be working for Lowes. I live five miles from exit 31 so it won't make much of a difference.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:33 AM

142 posts, read 255,597 times
Quote:
Really? I found these 2 that would be in our price range, or are these in not as good of an area?

1315 East Blvd UNIT 613, Charlotte, NC 28203 is For Sale | Zillow

701 Royal Ct # 408, Charlotte, NC 28202 is For Sale | Zillow
Those look nice!
I was thinking more in the house range.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 AM

370 posts, read 544,116 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I was expecting it to be out of my price range, but it looks like I wouldn't have too much trouble finding a place there either. Is it pretty safe to walk around uptown at night? I live near downtown St. Petersburg now so the occasional car break-in and things like that don't really phase me, as long as i'll be safe to walk my dog and walk home from restaurants and bars at night.
I commute from the Southpark area to Huntersville daily. As long as you are commuting against rush hour, you are looking at roughly a 20-30 minute commute, tops. It's a pretty straight shot up 77. And the areas you are looking in are awesome areas. There are def. places in your range. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 30,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
The issue is that 77 is only two lanes each way from way north of Mooresville up to exit 23 in Huntersville. You may have a bit of an advantage but from what I see, the lanes in the opposite direction aren't much better than the ones I'm in.

Sounds like you will be working for Lowes. I live five miles from exit 31 so it won't make much of a difference.
Yep, Lowes. It sounds like i'll just have to drive it a few times during peak hours to get a feel for it. 45 minutes on average wouldn't bother me, but if i'm going to average 1hr every day then I think I will have to reconsider.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Yep, Lowes. It sounds like i'll just have to drive it a few times during peak hours to get a feel for it. 45 minutes on average wouldn't bother me, but if i'm going to average 1hr every day then I think I will have to reconsider.
You have 2 posters who live in Mooresville advising you not to do the commute. One of them works for Lowes. I'd question them & listen to their advice. I don't live in any of the areas mentioned but I have driven under 77, on 85, during rush hour & both northbound & southbound were like parking lots.

Why don't you start another thread & ask about what's available in the downtowns north of Charlotte. You could certainly spend your weekends in Charlotte.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 30,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You have 2 posters who live in Mooresville advising you not to do the commute. One of them works for Lowes. I'd question them & listen to their advice. I don't live in any of the areas mentioned but I have driven under 77, on 85, during rush hour & both northbound & southbound were like parking lots.
Other people in this thread have similar drives to what I am proposing and they say it's not that bad, so there seems to be conflicting information. If someone can do fort mill to mooresville in an hour then I think I would be okay. I'll just have to test it out myself. Comments from people who live in Mooresville are mostly irrelevant to me since they aren't making the drive I am proposing every day. I am mainly interested in the opinions of people who travel north on 77 out of Charlotte or south of Charlotte in the morning.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Other people in this thread have similar drives to what I am proposing and they say it's not that bad, so there seems to be conflicting information. If someone can do fort mill to mooresville in an hour then I think I would be okay. I'll just have to test it out myself. Comments from people who live in Mooresville are mostly irrelevant to me since they aren't making the drive I am proposing every day. I am mainly interested in the opinions of people who travel north on 77 out of Charlotte or south of Charlotte in the morning.
The poster who lives in Mooresville & commutes to Charlotte, & his wife also makes the same commute, commented of the traffic in both directions. If you feel that that's irrelevant, that's fine. Consulting a map would tell you that a commute from Ft Mill would be up 485 to 77.

The Charlotte TV stations stream their newscasts. They all have traffic reports. You can track the difference in the road conditions between 4:30am & when you would be leaving.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:15 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
The bottom line is no matter where you live there will be some measure of traffic. I live near Huntersville & 77 doesn't appear to be as congested in the opposite direction of typical rush traffic. The thing is you don't have to use 77 exclusively to get between Uptown & Mooresville. You can use Statesville rd or Beattis Ford to bypass some congestion especially if your going in the opposite direction of most commuters .

Old 04-10-2015, 04:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
As long as you are good spending at least an hour per day (each way) in traffic you will be fine. It will likely average out to where you have some better days and some worse days. I work at Lowe's and use 77 quite often headed home (exit 42) so I see the backups at 5pm near daily, it's just part of going south between 4-6, just plan on it. Same thing headed north, it bottlenecks past 485 down to 2 lanes and backs up from there. Some days you might hit it just right and get to work in 30 minutes and other days you are going to be stop and go from 485 up past exit 28, sometimes further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte