Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcutie View Post
You need to let Jesus come into your life....
That's what they keep telling me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Everyone in this world is entitled to their own beliefs.....You shouldn't preach your beliefs to other who may not share them. LIVE AND LET LIVE!! I absolutely HATE when people say things like that!!!!

To the OP: My wife and I are non religious and really do not belong to or believe in an organized religion. We've lived here for close to 2 years and have many friends (religious and non). All that matters is the person you are...not the religion you do or do not belong to. You'll be fine...it's a great place to live.
BRKLYN2CLT - Your post mirrors my thoughts exactly. One benefit from being a non-church goer, is that on Sunday mornings, you have the stores all to yourself. They pray - I shop! A "heavenly" experience!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
The last 4 or 5 posts are perfect examples as to why some forum boards do not allow religous posts. OP did not carry an agenda-simply a question of community life styles. Those posting for and against religious beliefs, or shopping on Sundays, are stating a personal agenda that can be taking by either side as abusive. ("No personal attacks" are part of the rules of this forum-I think.)

Just my observations-nothing more-nothing less.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
I've been here 10 months and have never once been asked where I go to church, or if I go at all....

Are you sure you are living in Charlotte? I moved from california where no one asks "Have you found a church home". I had that interaction with folks here at least 50 times during my first 6 months.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
The last 4 or 5 posts are perfect examples as to why some forum boards do not allow religous posts. OP did not carry an agenda-simply a question of community life styles. Those posting for and against religious beliefs, or shopping on Sundays, are stating a personal agenda that can be taking by either side as abusive. ("No personal attacks" are part of the rules of this forum-I think.)

Just my observations-nothing more-nothing less.
I agree. Politics and religion should be very limited or not allowed period.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note:
This thread is veering off topic. Please only answer the OP concerns.
From this point if you see anything objectable material in this or other threads please use the report post button in the right corner of a post and we will investigate it.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That's what they keep telling me...
He'll come in when you are ready to receive Him. That's what they keep telling me!

I've been in the area for just over a year. Nobody's asked me about religion or church one single time.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Lightbulb Wow!!!

and WOW again!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
As an agnostic, it amazes me how so many athiests are so intollerent of those that don't share similar views. These people are generally just being hospitable. That is the way it is in some places. If one is not comfortable with the way things have been done in some areas for years, one should do his/her homework before relocating and not move. Relax and get on with your life. Asking you if you go to church or would like to go to theirs only requires a "no" response. It's not as if you are being mugged or something. I would rather not be invited to someone's church, but I would not be shallow enough to generalize and say that athiests would find it uncomfortable here. For god's (forgive that use of reference) sake, if you're that sensitive, go back where you come from and shut up! There are more serious things to be concerned with.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have only been asked this question twice since moving back here over five years ago. Now, if a conversation comes up about religion or church attendance, people have asked where I attend but that was only with people I have a relationship with - not people I just run into or casually meet. I don't see it as a problem at all - I assume many among us are athetists, agnostics, non-church goers, and religions other than Christian and I don't think people are so insensitive as to feel they have to ask questions. But if someone did ask "do you attend church" and you were to respond "No, not into religion," I suspect they would not so much as raise an eyebrow and just move on w/ the conversation. It is not something one needs to defend. People are just trying to find commonality - such as - do your kids attend xx school - or - who is your hairdresser or where do you shop for groceries . . . Charlotte is not some small burg where people keep score on who is out mowing his/her lawn on Sunday and who attended mass or synagogue that week, etc.

So can an atheist survive in Charlotte? I would think so - as long as you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte