Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Most of the sales across the country were to Cell Phone providers for additional cell bandwidth. I haven't checked on Ch 39, but I'd bet it was as well.

Ch 55 will be a subchannel now on ch 46, probably as 46.2. The existing subchannels will just go up by .1 each.
It is possible some of the subchannels may be eliminated to make room for 2 High Definition channels and preserve video quality. But that is unknown at this time and may depend on advanced techniques of multicast broadcasting. Remains to be seen.

They may keep the Movies channel since it is part owned by FOX. But the others such as SBN (Jimmy Swaggart) or Ion may be dropped. I like the Heroes and Icons. SBN is also available on cable or satellite, as well as streaming services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WCNC has a new evening news anchor Sarah French, replacing Beth Troutman, who had taken over from longtime anchor Sonja Gantt. Although perhaps a cost cutting incentive as veterans retired, the new Tegna talent mix seems to be working at WCNC and gaining in the ratings.

And former veteran WCNC crime beat reporter Glenn Counts will soon join WSOC covering the same metro and crime stories that Channel 9 seems to specialize in. Should be a good fit there.
Glenn Counts is back on the air, on WSOC

Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Glenn Counts is back on the air, on WSOC
Glenn Counts is a good addition to WSOC. He specializes in the crime beat that Channel 9 likes to cover. And he has prior years of experience at WCNC and good contacts in the community.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Glenn Counts is a good addition to WSOC. He specializes in the crime beat that Channel 9 likes to cover. And he has prior years of experience at WCNC and good contacts in the community.
He's an excellent addition, given WSOC's tendency to very young reporters. Major market stations have a mix of ages.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
He's an excellent addition, given WSOC's tendency to very young reporters. Major market stations have a mix of ages.
It is good for TV stations to have veteran reporters who have a good perspective on the assignments they cover, as it may include the crime beat, politics and government, or business and development.

Good veteran reporters include Steve Crump and Steve Ohnesorge at WBTV, and Mark Becker at WSOC. Their other longtime veteran reporter Jim Bradley recently retired from Channel 9, as well as Action 9 reporter Don Griffin a few years ago.

Also at WSOC Dave Faherty does a good job covering the western counties and the mountains and foothills, similar to Steve Ohnesorge at WBTV. And Greg Suskin covers SC areas.

Unfortunately since Gannett acquired WCNC, many of the long time veteran reporters such as Glenn Counts, Stuart Watson, Dave Wagner and Sonja Gantt retired or moved on. Typical Gannett practice (now Tegna). Fortunately rad Berky remains.

But most notorious was when prominent anchors Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan "retired" from Gannett flagship WUSA channel 9 in Washington, DC and were replaced with younger counterparts. They quickly moved over to rival WJLA channel 7.

But so far WCNC has made good moves with recent talent changes such as Fred Shropshire, Sarah French, and Brooke Katz. But the morning blond female anchor may be better suited for an entertainment program or the morning talk show rather than the newscast.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:45 PM

And speaking of long time service, WSOC-TV is currently recognizing 60 years of broadcasting. Prominent anchors included Bill Walker, Debi Faubion, Meg MacDonald, Doreen Gentzler, Harold Johnson, Ray Boylan, and Jerry Peterson. And Doug Mayes and Janet England who moved from WBTV.

I still think they need a stronger personality for sports anchor to fill the void since Harold Johnson retired, as he has proven difficult to replace. Their sports segments now seem a bit bland and boring by comparison. And Bill Walker is still missed with his strong and authoritative delivery at the anchor desk.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
And speaking of long time service, WSOC-TV is currently recognizing 60 years of broadcasting. Prominent anchors included Bill Walker, Debi Faubion, Meg MacDonald, Doreen Gentzler, Harold Johnson, Ray Boylan, and Jerry Peterson. And Doug Mayes and Janet England who moved from WBTV.

I still think they need a stronger personality for sports anchor to fill the void since Harold Johnson retired, as he has proven difficult to replace. Their sports segments now seem a bit bland and boring by comparison. And Bill Walker is still missed with his strong and authoritative delivery at the anchor desk.
It's a small world in broadcasting. . .Doreen did a short stint at WCAU, when l worked there, when it was a CBS O&O. She & her husband moved up but, it was my understanding that he had a problem getting staff work, as none of the Philadelphia stations were hiring to staff at the time, so they went back to DC.

Just an FYI, Jane Robelot also spent time at 'CAU.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
It's a small world in broadcasting. . .Doreen did a short stint at WCAU, when l worked there, when it was a CBS O&O. She & her husband moved up but, it was my understanding that he had a problem getting staff work, as none of the Philadelphia stations were hiring to staff at the time, so they went back to DC.

Just an FYI, Jane Robelot also spent time at 'CAU.
After leaving WSOC, Doreen Gentzler has been the lead anchor at NBC-4, WRC in Washington, DC, the O&O station serving DC, Maryland, and Virginia.

Jane Robelot started at WSPA in Spartanburg, had stints in Philly and NYC, and worked for CBS before returning to Upstate SC as special correspondent for WYFF-4.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
After leaving WSOC, Doreen Gentzler has been the lead anchor at NBC-4, WRC in Washington, DC, the O&O station serving DC, Maryland, and Virginia.

Jane Robelot started at WSPA in Spartanburg, had stints in Philly and NYC, and worked for CBS before returning to Upstate SC as special correspondent for WYFF-4.
I think that Gordon Peterson & Maureen Bunyun were the lead anchors at WRC, when I worked in Owings Mills. A couple of years after I left Owings Mills, I went to WCAU. Doreen was brought in to coanchor with Alan Frio. Her husband was a tech. The stations were only hiring techs as temps. He was going back & forth between DC & Philly, so as soon as possible, they returned to DC. She may not list the stint in Philadelphia. It was fairly short. She's a nice person.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I think that Gordon Peterson & Maureen Bunyun were the lead anchors at WRC, when I worked in Owings Mills. A couple of years after I left Owings Mills, I went to WCAU. Doreen was brought in to coanchor with Alan Frio. Her husband was a tech. The stations were only hiring techs as temps. He was going back & forth between DC & Philly, so as soon as possible, they returned to DC. She may not list the stint in Philadelphia. It was fairly short. She's a nice person.
No Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan were longtime lead anchors at WUSA channel 9 in DC until Gannett unceremoniously retired them. They were quickly hired over at WJLA channel 7.

Doreen Gentzler left WSOC and perhaps that is when she went to WCAU. But she soon became the longtime lead anchor at WRC in DC, the NBC-4 O&O station. I believe she is originally from Arlington, Va, so that allowed her to return to her hometown area. She was paired with Jim Vance.

Meg MacDonald and Debi Faubion succeeded Doreen Gentzler at WSOC as coanchors with Bill Walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte