Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times

Advertisements

I just received an e-mail stating that Walmart has given up the fight and will not construct a Supercenter on the intersection of Tom Short and Rea Road! Phew! That's a relief! I can't find the website that was tracking the lawsuit. If anyone can post it, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,588 times
Default yippee

thank goodness!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM

379 posts, read 645,109 times
"A battle was won - but the war isn't over! Wal-Mart still owns the land and has the option to file a new application for another Special Use Permit and we would have to go through the entire process again. We hope it doesn't come to that, but we can't afford to be complacent and think this is over. It's only over when a permit is approved for something that is appropriate to be in a residential neighborhood PUD and meets the zoning requirements. "

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
"A battle was won - but the war isn't over! Wal-Mart still owns the land and has the option to file a new application for another Special Use Permit and we would have to go through the entire process again. We hope it doesn't come to that, but we can't afford to be complacent and think this is over. It's only over when a permit is approved for something that is appropriate to be in a residential neighborhood PUD and meets the zoning requirements. "
Okay, then there's "the glass half empty".....
You're right, I shouldn't have gotten so excited.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Yeah, it's a good thing that they aren't going to open up a store there and have all those annoying little jobs that they need to fill. That would have sucked.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,395 times
I hope it's true, but I think I've heard that this fight's been over about a 1/2 dozen times before. It's been going on for YEARS.

Don't let your guard down!

It's hard to believe that Wal-Mart would want a store in a county named "Union." http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif (broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM

379 posts, read 645,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Okay, then there's "the glass half empty".....
You're right, I shouldn't have gotten so excited.
Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble. Ignore my post for this evening.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble. Ignore my post for this evening.
Oh no, you're absolutely right! As another poster mentioned, we shouldn't let our guard down. These conglomerates are just too powerful.
I was just prematurely excited at the prospect that this thing may once and for all be settled in our favor. But who knows, even if Walmart loses this fight, who's to say that some other "big box" retailer doesn't come in and start the whole nasty fight all over again? I can't imagine that the people living across the street from Blakeney are thrilled that Best Buy is going to plunk themselves down right next to their beautiful townhomes!
I'm not sure how those huge stores can ever be made to look architecturally pleasing.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM

79 posts, read 216,112 times
And who owns the land across the street from the Walmart land?? Yup...Harris Teeter. That's just what we need......another HT. I mean Blakeney is like what, a mile away. What you have to realize is that so many of these companies just as IN the real estate business as they are in the retail business.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Harris Teeter isnt putting a HT on that land...that is about the only thing we do know, according to someone I spoke with on our HOA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte