Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 AM

379 posts, read 645,314 times

Advertisements

If people are going to continue to give the Charlotte area a bad reputation, I would like to see the PROOF (not YHO). These insinuations are having a very negative effect on our city, and our potential new residents.

There are many posts in this forum that compare Charlotte's crime to other cities like Dallas and Philly (picked at random of course). Some of you have said Charlotte's crime rate is horrible compared to the cities you previously inhabited. Please, if you will, show me the DOCUMENTATION. Basically, put your money where your mouth is.

Please do not get Charlotte's police blotter unless you are putting another city's police blotter right next to it. I am really only interested in the VERIFIABLE FACTS.

My theory is that the Charlotte area's crime rate will be about the same (or less) than these other cities we have been hearing so much about.

Example: Crime rate per capita:Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Charlotte's violent crime rate (1.8 times national average)
Dallas's violent crime rate (2.29 times national average)
Philly's violent crime rate (2.31 times the national average)

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: gr

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
we are from brooklyn honestly it was safe when I was growing up, Lived in NJ for 10 years and honestly crime wasnt an issue where we personally lived, always felt very safe...cars will always get stolen or broken into no matter where u live, but personal crimes are another story, which we also didnt have or let me rephrase that we didnt hear about it all the time and we really didnt have our guard up too much not like here...but crime is everywhere which is what I think most of us have established

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM

26 posts, read 87,606 times
Staten Island, NY and NJ-still safe

Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM

I understand your point of view and can appreciate your feelings.

Do you think it is possible your feelings of safety could be related to your comfort zone? You are not completely adapted to NC. Is it possible their is a similar amount of crime in both places, but you were not as sensitive to it there? BTW- i have no idea-i haven't researched the crime rates in NY/NJ.

Last edited by Burgi; 01-30-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 AM

Honestly, we are not in NC yet, but considering staying put from all that I am hearing. It is very safe here on paper and in our comfort zone. But, we'll be checking out some areas in the spring time to get a true feel for ourselves.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I understand your point of view and can appreciate your feelings.

Do you think it is possible your feelings of safety could be related to your comfort zone? You are not completely adapted to NC. Is it possible their is a similar amount of crime in both places, but you were not as sensitive to it there? BTW- i have no idea-i haven't researched the crime rates in NY/NJ.
Burgi - I totally get what you are saying, and yes, I think it has to do w/ a "comfort zone." I grew up in this area, and everyone knew what areas were more likely to have crime and we simply avoided them - as in - did not even drive near them. These areas have changed some over the years - there has been gentrification at the edges . . . and it appears some of the crime has "seeped" lately into a nearby area of one particular spot . . . but basically, nothing has changed that much here in CLT. Yes, some people have decided to expand their crime into the burbs, but it appears to me that LE are addressing it. In the last 2 weeks, LE has broken up 2 theft rings who were breaking into new construction and stealing appliances. This can happen in ANY city!!!

I lived in the Kansas City metro area b/f moving here. The crime rate in KCMO is very nearly the same - very close - to that of Charlotte. However, the burg I lived in was 18 miles outside of KCMO downtown . . . and it could be best described as what Ballantyne will probably be like in coming years. Upscale, safe, and a crime rate so low that it hardly registered. I will see if I can get some stats to show all this and post them.

So where I actually lived . . . crime was nearly non-existent - some muggings in parking lots at the mall occasionally, and home break-ins. But as soon as I drove into KCMO proper - the downtown area - the crime rate was almost exactly that of CLT.

I think that is where things are getting so skewered. Here, the burbs are all lumped into CLT's stats. If we had it broken out - various areas as opposed to one stat for the whole metro and burbs . . .things would look very very different on paper.

I will come back and post the comparison later when I round the stats up. I think it is very enlightening.

And thanks for the thread. Great idea!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM

NY,NY's violent crime rate (1.23 times national average) Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 AM

249 posts, read 875,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Please do not get Charlotte's police blotter unless you are putting another city's police blotter right next to it. I am really only interested in the VERIFIABLE FACTS.

My theory is that the Charlotte area's crime rate will be about the same (or less) than these other cities we have been hearing so much about.

Example: Crime rate per capita:

Charlotte's violent crime rate (1.8 times national average)
Dallas's violent crime rate (2.29 times national average)
Philly's violent crime rate (2.31 times the national average)

Thank you all for your time.
The problem with these stats are that they are from 2003, imo Charlotte has changed more over the last 4-5 years because of explosive growth than the other cities.

Anyone know where we could get more recent stats? There was a thread awhile back with some good info but I don't recall its source. Also, I think most folks complaining are really talking about property crimes (home breakins, home invasions, car theft etc) rather than violent crime.

I will say that Dallas in particular does not have the "revolving door" problem with their prisons. If you get arrested you won't be back on the streets that week because there are not enough DA's to handle the case load. Looking at the rap sheets of some of these criminals in Charlotte is shocking, frankly.

Look at the rap sheet on this guy, its around 14 arrests in 2 years. His latest was discharging a firearm into occupied property.

Arrest and Charges Summary Page

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 AM

NY,NY encompasses an area of over 8 million people

Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here is link to Kansas City, MO

Kansas City Crime Statistics (MO) - CityRating.com

Violent crime there is currently rated at 2.31 x the national average

Now that would scare the bejeebers out of me if I were thinking about moving there. However, I moved only 18 miles away from downtown KCMO, and the rate is entirely different. Currently, I live about 12 miles from uptown Charlotte. Here are stats for where I lived in KCMO 'burbs:

Shawnee Crime Statistics (KS) - Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

You will notice - the violent crime there is .26 (yes - 1/4) the national average. Quiet? You bet! Safe? You bet!

Now if this quiet suburb of KCMO were included in Kansas City's stats, the way our burbs are included w/ Charlotte's stats - someone would look at it and go - OMG - I can't move there!!!!!

I hope this serves as a good illustration for what I am talking about w/ crime in S. CLT. If I could break out the stats just for where I live . . . things would tell a VERY different story.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: misspell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte