Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 AM

436 posts, read 446,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
After spending several days exploring Charlotte, I must say, I'm impressed. It doesn't have everything. I still wish it had MLB and I think it's missing the charm and ambiance of a more historically urban core and building stock, but for what Charlotte is, they have really done a great job making the city into a dense, walkable city.

The amount of urban development there is still just amazing. Office, residential and hotel development is still going crazy in both the core downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Nice to see the light rail being expanded. I don't like vintage streetcar cars though. Why would such a modern city use such old technology for a brand new streetcar line? But I guess it gets the job done. The city has a very robust bus system as well and a very large transit center.

Great night life, lively downtown with lots of retail open late hours etc.

Anyway, I have always been a bit hard on Charlotte because of how it feels so low density and even suburban just blocks from the CBD and in many cases is still has a very suburban feel right in the city, but this city has really grown up into a major second tier city.

Nice city you got there!

Nice to hear, but you have to consider that the city isn't all about you in regards to suburbs. Thousands of people love suburbs so they can live in a community with yards so their children can play. In that regards, we have something for all. But I agree with you. It is exciting to watch the explosion of growth all over and the seemingly good job of controlling zoning etc. Welcome aboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Nice to hear, but you have to consider that the city isn't all about you in regards to suburbs. Thousands of people love suburbs so they can live in a community with yards so their children can play. In that regards, we have something for all. But I agree with you. It is exciting to watch the explosion of growth all over and the seemingly good job of controlling zoning etc. Welcome aboard.
All cities have nice suburbs. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with suburban living. I'm just saying that central Charlotte has really matured and become a rather thriving urban place when it was not long ago when Charlotte didn't really impress me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte