Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:12 AM

995 posts, read 510,284 times

Advertisements

I've just recently returned to Atlanta from visiting Winston-Salem, and I avoided using I-77 both ways to avoid the insane congestion going into Charlotte from Lake Norman. Like here in the Atlanta metro area, express lanes are being constructed, with a huge difference. They're privately owned, which means the tolls paid will enrich corporate pockets instead of flowing back to the state like it does here by way of the Georgia Toll Road Authority. Even more appalling, if the state wants to build additional general purpose lanes, they actually have to pay a fine to the road company managing the toll lanes, since it might eat into their profits.

As a former resident of North Carolina, this really grinds my gears.

How did the good people of this state allow such an atrocity to take place? If I was governor, I'd void that contract and take those lanes back for the public, corporate investment be dammed.

Thank goodness I-85 going NE from Charlotte is being expanded to a glorious 8 lanes, with no bogus toll express lanes, so this is the route I'll be using from now on with my visits to my folks. Even with the ongoing construction on the final 12-mile stretch, traffic moved at the speed limit of 60 mph, which is far better than the mess on 77.

Anyone on here care to explain why this travesty on 77 is allowed to take place, and whether or not this will be perpetuated on other roads in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
I have no issue with it. Let a private company take the risk instead of taxpayers.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
The issue has been a hot topic for a long time:

"The I-77 project will add express toll lanes from uptown to Exit 36 in Iredell County. It was a key issue in last fall’s governor’s race, and some have linked the issue to Democrat Roy Cooper’s narrow victory over the incumbent, Republican Pat McCrory.

McCrory has said the DOT was following the wishes of the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization, which supported the toll lanes on several occasions.

But the local governments affected most by the toll lanes rejected the project. On the last vote in early 2016, the towns of Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville and Pineville, and Mecklenburg, Union and Iredell counties voted no. The city of Charlotte voted yes."

I-77 toll lanes | Consultant: public anger a reason to cancel | Charlotte Observer

The cost to cancel the toll lanes now may be as high as $300 million. The state is currently reviewing the options.

Here are some existing threads on the subject:

I-77 toll lanes; good or bad?
77 Toll Road - Cintra partner in TX files bankruptcy
77 Toll Road - Cintra partner in TX files bankruptcy
Tell me again why the toll lanes are such a good idea?
I-77 General Lane Non Compete Agreement

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
Corrupt politicians sharing the taxpayers money in another pay-for-play arrangement with their business partners.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I have no issue with it. Let a private company take the risk instead of taxpayers.
The way I understand it is that if/when the toll road crooks don't make the money agreed to in the contract, then the taxpayers of NC will pay them!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
The reason it was allowed to happen is because of corrupt politicians and it never being voted on by the taxpayers. Period.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:26 PM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The way I understand it is that if/when the toll road crooks don't make the money agreed to in the contract, then the taxpayers of NC will pay them!
you are correct, there is always a minimum ROI that needs to be made for any investor.
Of course there is no cap on max side, a "share the top" program where excess should be split with local government (any business deal should have that in place once the return exceeds payoffs rqd)..

But since our politicians are no business people (to actually negotiate and protect taxpayers), they can be easily bought with small "incentives".

Old 11-02-2017, 07:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Which is why you keep the government out of it. No public/private cooperation. The private entity takes all of the risk and reaps any reward.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Thank goodness I-85 going NE from Charlotte is being expanded to a glorious 8 lanes, with no bogus toll express lanes, so this is the route I'll be using from now on with my visits to my folks. Even with the ongoing construction on the final 12-mile stretch, traffic moved at the speed limit of 60 mph, which is far better than the mess on 77.
I guess it depends on where your folks live in the greater Winston-Salem Metroplex, but wouldn't I-85 to US-52 be a shorter route than I-77 to I-40?

(I realize there is still construction on I-85 at the "bottle neck")

Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

If you want to keep taking I-40, just use 321 instead of 77 to get to I-85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte