Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU1986 View Post
According to that link, CMPD stated more crime occurred at South Park than North Lake.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,935 times
Quote:
SouthPark Mall
Robberies: 3
Assaults: 1
Theft: 106
Source: CMPD

Northlake Mall
Assaults: 5
Theft: 57

The bolded is why people are fleeing to southpark. nobody cares about thefts, that when people takes from the store. That only affects the store, not the consumer. A assault can have a serious effect on someone.

Statistically, you are 5 times more likely to be assaulted at Northlake mall than Southpark according to those stats.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 AM

51 posts, read 62,729 times
What about Robberies?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
What about Robberies?
Id rather have something taken out of my car than assaulted or shot at.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
That makes all the sense in the world and is spot on. Some morons will argue that Northlake only seems bad because we say it is and spread rumors, and we're just afraid of black people.
Most are afraid due to the unfamiliar...simply uncomfortable and don't wanna deal with it and don't have to. This is the norm with most situations in America.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
Id rather have something taken out of my car than assaulted or shot at.
Unfortunately that is not a robbery, but is considered a theft. A robbery is when things are stolen from a person or entity by using violence or the threat of violence. All robberies are assaults, then something was stolen or attempted to be stolen.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
I don't go to either place.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, so I'm the only one with biases and preconceived notions? People get robbed and there are car break-ins everywhere.

Any place that has an inordinate amount of black people is instantly connected to crime or the more commonly used word a collection of "thugs". Regardless of class or dress and any incident get's magnified 10-fold. It's expected and the "I told you so" or "matter of time" attitude ultimately takes over. Then the ripple effect of fear cascades throughout the community leading to white flight.

It indeed is self inflicted but exacerbated by the media to the point that as an African American the only response to it is Got-dammit, here it comes, the place is no longer inhabitable or safe to visit. All the while knowing that if it had been the safest place on earth, once the black folk "take over" even a mall full of wealthy black people, the fear and unfamiliar is too much for most white people to handle. It's the dress, talk, and culture.

It's the unknown and stark contrast to the norm because every other shopping venue in America is 90+ % white. Not an adjustment most people are willing or care to do when there are 90%+ other options. They just want their "country" or mall back in this case.

Are there bad elements out there? Absolutely, but once the cycle starts, it is impossible to stop because the mental image has been imprinted beyond recourse that "they" have taken over and now the place is unsafe and we'd rather drive to Hanes Mall in Winston before setting foot in that ghetto. I make no excuse because the bulk of it is self inflicted but is an easy out....such that it becomes Eastland all over again and there you have it.."I told you so" about those people.
A self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts indeed.

I'm also not surprised to see the crime state for SouthPark vs Northlake which corroborates what you're saying.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
SouthPark Mall
Robberies: 3
Assaults: 1
Theft: 106

Northlake Mall
Assaults: 5
Theft: 57

The bolded is why people are fleeing to southpark. nobody cares about thefts, that when people takes from the store. That only affects the store, not the consumer. A assault can have a serious effect on someone.

Statistically, you are 5 times more likely to be assaulted at Northlake mall than Southpark according to those stats.
Nobody cares about thefts or robberies? What type of robbery? A store robbery or a knife/gun to the nose robbery in the parking lot?

It's all over generalizations unless more data can be found. What are these numbers for a year or several years?

How do the crime stats data compare to other cities or malls in the US?

No matter where you go in America if it's labeled as the "black" mall, doesn't matter, crime will always be assumed to worse and the numbers game/data will be interpreted as 10x more dangerous....that's perception. Deny if you want to, but it's the way it is.

It's a very difficult thing for many white people to come to grips with because it's a subconscious state of mind and sort of the way things are. So, the numbers/data game will be twisted or contorted until they somehow favorably align with your "reality". No matter what the number state to reinforce perceptions, then the media jumps on the bandwagon, the ripple effect begins and the revenue dips, stores leave, "black" mall closes....finally a bunch of "we told you so". Lol, it's no secret but it is what it is.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Nobody cares about thefts or robberies? What type of robbery? A store robbery or a knife/gun to the nose robbery in the parking lot?

It's all over generalizations unless more data can be found. What are these numbers for a year or several years?

How do the crime stats data compare to other cities or malls in the US?

No matter where you go in America if it's labeled as the "black" mall, doesn't matter, crime will always be assumed to worse and the numbers game/data will be interpreted as 10x more dangerous....that's perception. Deny if you want to, but it's the way it is.

It's a very difficult thing for many white people to come to grips with because it's a subconscious state of mind and sort of the way things are. So, the numbers/data game will be twisted or contorted until they somehow favorably align with your "reality". No matter what the number state to reinforce perceptions, then the media jumps on the bandwagon, the ripple effect begins and the revenue dips, stores leave, "black" mall closes....finally a bunch of "we told you so". Lol, it's no secret but it is what it is.
I went onto northlake's website and the wiki page and didnt see black or african american. GET A GRIP. Stupid race baiters. Why don't you call CMPD and ask for more stats?

I can't believe people are on this forum are saying that someone should shop at a unsafe mall. Why don't those advocates shop at northlake then! Don't tell me I should go to a unsafe mall. Besides retail at Northlake is taking a hit so the mall is in for some rough times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte