Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
So much for higher level thinking. I am sure this post was sincere, but consider the broader implications in regard to judgement, analysis, synthesis, and everything other than pure seeing is believing. A very "concrete" approach.
Are you criticizing my post or Richard's? Others tried to use stats, which Richard didn't care about and the post I was responding to was where he said people should go to the mall after 6PM and "see" for themselves. Unless he thought they would see or be a victim of crime when they did that (which I asked if that was what he meant but he didn't answer, and that's probably not all that likely even if the crime was pretty bad there), he was clearly alluding to the fact that you probably will see some blacks wearing baggy clothes.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:24 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
First sensible post in the thread

Ha. Thanks.

Unfortunately the feedback was "I don't care about statistics!" I want to believe what I want because it's my opinion!

Some people just want to lived scared I guess. I'm not sure why. Seems like a lot of frantic doomsday talk would be stressful. It's the same group that thinks our society is being "ruined" by the younger generation. Sad outlook and terribly lacking in perspective.

The funny part is that older generations have been lamenting about the downfall of society for a long time. Here's somebody talking about a new dance in 1816.

From an 1816 issue of the Times of London:

The indecent foreign dance called the Waltz was introduced ... at the English Court on Friday last ... It is quite sufficient to cast one's eyes on the voluptuous intertwining of the limbs, and close compressure of the bodies ... to see that it is far indeed removed from the modest reserve which has hitherto been considered distinctive of English females...[Now that it is] forced on the respectable classes of society by the evil example of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion.

15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss

Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Charlotte has always aspired to be like Atlanta. Well, you got it and there's more to come! LOL

Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Are you criticizing my post or Richard's? Others tried to use stats, which Richard didn't care about and the post I was responding to was where he said people should go to the mall after 6PM and "see" for themselves. Unless he thought they would see or be a victim of crime when they did that (which I asked if that was what he meant but he didn't answer, and that's probably not all that likely even if the crime was pretty bad there), he was clearly alluding to the fact that you probably will see some blacks wearing baggy clothes.
Actually, I stated your post was sincere. I simply disagree that an area is only dangerous if you see a crime committed.

I have been pilloried here before for stating what I observed at NorthLake. But I will recite it again.

My first visit to Northlake, very first, about day two or three, my family, two teenage girls and wife as well as myself, were met be a group of people, exiting the mall, and the group of 7 or 8 could not have "said" the word, "*****" more frequently. Or louder.

They pushed my daughter back with the door as they exited, and once outside appeared to be screaming at the top of their lungs, "***** this and ***** that." In my younger days I would have tried deal with them, but these days, discretion is the greater part of valor.

Was a crime committed? No. Well, probably not. Did I see this with my own eyes? Yes. Did I want to come across this bunch again at the mall? No. In fact did I want to come across this bunch anywhere, ever again? No.

I am dealing only in facts. Not a preconceived opinion. Not broad generalities, not hearsay, just what I witnessed.

I can analyze this type of behavior and tell, pretty quickly, that North Lake is the kind of place I do not want to be.

But, having said that, we gave it a second try.

As we pulled into a parking place, late afternoon, but still with plenty of light, I noticed in the car beside me some kind of struggle was ongoing. Could have been doing the nasty in the parking lot in near broad daylight, but appeared much more violent.

Put the car back in drive and I just kept on moving, never looked back, never went back. Again, synthesis, analysis, judgement. This is not the area I want to be. And I never went back.

These could have been the only two untoward incidents in the history of the mall. But they were two I witnessed up close and personal, and I never gave it a chance for a third.

You can call me all kinds of names, and make all kinds of accusations, but there is no doubt in my mind, North Lake Mall is not for me. Nothing I have seen or heard since gives me a nano second's pause that my analysis of the environment at North Lake was anything but right on the money.

Please note, I have made no reference to race, color, creed, national origin, sexual preference, or gender. It does not matter.

One more thing. I have been in a lot of malls/shopping centers. In NC, in the US of A, and in fact, around the world. I have never witnessed anything like either of these two events anywhere.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 AM

When using the ****** word I would say that race does matter.

Either way, sorry for your experience of being around cursing and seeing something that may or may not have been violent in a car. Rude behavior is annoying. Disregard for others is annoying.

I wouldn't go back to the mall if it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Actually, I stated your post was sincere. I simply disagree that an area is only dangerous if you see a crime committed.

I have been pilloried here before for stating what I observed at NorthLake. But I will recite it again.

My first visit to Northlake, very first, about day two or three, my family, two teenage girls and wife as well as myself, were met be a group of people, exiting the mall, and the group of 7 or 8 could not have "said" the word, "*****" more frequently. Or louder.

They pushed my daughter back with the door as they exited, and once outside appeared to be screaming at the top of their lungs, "***** this and ***** that." In my younger days I would have tried deal with them, but these days, discretion is the greater part of valor.

Was a crime committed? No. Well, probably not. Did I see this with my own eyes? Yes. Did I want to come across this bunch again at the mall? No. In fact did I want to come across this bunch anywhere, ever again? No.

I am dealing only in facts. Not a preconceived opinion. Not broad generalities, not hearsay, just what I witnessed.

I can analyze this type of behavior and tell, pretty quickly, that North Lake is the kind of place I do not want to be.

But, having said that, we gave it a second try.

As we pulled into a parking place, late afternoon, but still with plenty of light, I noticed in the car beside me some kind of struggle was ongoing. Could have been doing the nasty in the parking lot in near broad daylight, but appeared much more violent.

Put the car back in drive and I just kept on moving, never looked back, never went back. Again, synthesis, analysis, judgement. This is not the area I want to be. And I never went back.

These could have been the only two untoward incidents in the history of the mall. But they were two I witnessed up close and personal, and I never gave it a chance for a third.

You can call me all kinds of names, and make all kinds of accusations, but there is no doubt in my mind, North Lake Mall is not for me. Nothing I have seen or heard since gives me a nano second's pause that my analysis of the environment at North Lake was anything but right on the money.

Please note, I have made no reference to race, color, creed, national origin, sexual preference, or gender. It does not matter.

One more thing. I have been in a lot of malls/shopping centers. In NC, in the US of A, and in fact, around the world. I have never witnessed anything like either of these two events anywhere.
It's been said several times that if one doesn't wish to go to Northlake for whatever reason, then they don't have to. But that is different than other posters in this thread essentially saying "if you want to be a victim of crime, then go to NorthLake Mall when it's dark."

If the reason that you don't want to go there is you don't wish to be around people that swear a lot, then more power to you. But people swearing a lot doesn't mean a place is dangerous either. And if you haven't seen people swearing a lot at other malls, then you likely haven't been to as many malls as you say.

Lastly, you witnessed what was potentially a struggle in a car, and you didn't think to call the police? Heck, then maybe that incident would have been added to the statistics to make NorthLake look worse than other area malls, which for the most part right now, it doesn't.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:48 PM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And yet this could happen--and has happened--at South Park which you'd consider safe. .

I consider South Park generally safe. I remember when South Park was a new mall and a young lady that worked at Belk's was accosted, raped, and murdered by two thugs from the hood. That was a long time ago. I don't know if there have been repeat similar incidents. I know that I often walk around the area at night between the Mall, Piedmont Row, Sharon Road, and area and never felt threatened or a need to carry my concealed weapon which I normally carry when in New Orleans only.

Honestly, if anyone says that Northlake is just as safe as South Park, they are stupid or just a liar. There may be shoplifting around, but that doesn't bother me. Fact is, the more diverse, the more crime. North Lake is lots more diverse. Get over it non-believers.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I consider South Park generally safe. I remember when South Park was a new mall and a young lady that worked at Belk's was accosted, raped, and murdered by two thugs from the hood. That was a long time ago. I don't know if there have been repeat similar incidents. I know that I often walk around the area at night between the Mall, Piedmont Row, Sharon Road, and area and never felt threatened or a need to carry my concealed weapon which I normally carry when in New Orleans only.

Honestly, if anyone says that Northlake is just as safe as South Park, they are stupid or just a liar. There may be shoplifting around, but that doesn't bother me. Fact is, the more diverse, the more crime. North Lake is lots more diverse. Get over it non-believers.
It took you 10 pages to finally say what we thought you were insinuating. Do you read any other posts? I am getting tired of your uninformed drivel.

And you're wrong about the greatest determiner.

Persons in poor households at or below the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) (39.8 per 1,000) had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households (16.9 per 1,000).
Persons in poor households had a higher rate of violence involving a firearm (3.5 per 1,000) compared to persons above the FPL (0.8–2.5 per 1,000).
The overall pattern of poor persons having the highest rates of violent victimization was consistent for both whites and blacks. However, the rate of violent victimization for Hispanics did not vary across poverty levels.
Poor Hispanics (25.3 per 1,000) had lower rates of violence compared to poor whites (46.4 per 1,000) and poor blacks (43.4 per 1,000).
Poor persons living in urban areas (43.9 per 1,000) had violent victimization rates similar to poor persons living in rural areas (38.8 per 1,000).
Poor urban blacks (51.3 per 1,000) had rates of violence similar to poor urban whites (56.4 per 1,000).

Generally speaking, rates of violence for people in poverty are largely the same across racial lines it's just that there is a far higher rate of black people living in poverty, and hence, more likely to resort to violence, or become the victim of violence. The violence isn't tied to who or what they are, it's tied to the circumstances their living in.

Blacks are not inherently prone to violent crime, poor people sometimes are.

Even with that fact documented, it's it interesting that when you control for poverty for poor urban blacks, that the actual rate of violence is slightly higher for poor urban whites at 56.4 incidents per 1000 white persons vs. 51.3 per 1000 black persons. It may not be more than a statistical anomaly, but it does go directly against the prevailing narrative.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Household Poverty and Nonfatal Violent Victimization, 2008–2012

Old 02-12-2016, 04:20 PM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

He is criticizing yours. My posting makes sense and cuts through the chase without the mindless ranting. It is really simple, please read carefully. I simply said that people should go to the mall and make up their own minds and see for themselves what it is like there. I don't know how it is humanly possible to make it clearer. You said that my opinions alluded to the fact that blacks wear baggy clothes. I don't like baggy clothes especially on whites. But, I am talking about crime, not baggy pants. You seem to have severe problems with comprehension.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
He is criticizing yours. My posting makes sense and cuts through the chase without the mindless ranting. It is really simple, please read carefully. I simply said that people should go to the mall and make up their own minds and see for themselves what it is like there. I don't know how it is humanly possible to make it clearer. You said that my opinions alluded to the fact that blacks wear baggy clothes. I don't like baggy clothes especially on whites. But, I am talking about crime, not baggy pants. You seem to have severe problems with comprehension.
Well you never answered my question. Do you think if one goes to the NorthLake Mall after 6:00 PM that they will either witness or be a victim of crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte