Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:27 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
The take away lesson is that CMS desperately wants to disperse affluent white kids among poorer minority schools, but they don't feel like they can get away with it right now. So, someday they will see their chance and do it...however the number of white kids enrolled in CMS is a minority and continues to shrink each year. The writing is on the wall, I don't see any chance of things changing anytime in the future.

Another takeaway lesson is that many people are so scared of diverse schools that they will pay money for options with less proven success and discount any social or civic lessons to be learned by supporting their public options.

CMS should rally to grow and preserve their more affluent students. They are doing a poor job of it. I don't think people realize how great the public option really is and it is largely peer pressure, elitism, bad experiences from other public school experiences, fear and bad information driving good families from giving the public schools a chance. CMS has some GREAT public schools! It's something that set us apart from many large cities growing up! We can continue to have GREAT public schools if our community would bond to contribute to them instead of taking their ball and going home based on fear.

I don't fault any parent for doing what they think is right for their kids. I just wish CMS would do a better job reassuring and proving to these parents that the CMS is a success story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM

416 posts, read 927,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Another takeaway lesson is that many people are so scared of diverse schools that they will pay money for options with less proven success and discount any social or civic lessons to be learned by supporting their public options.

CMS should rally to grow and preserve their more affluent students. They are doing a poor job of it. I don't think people realize how great the public option really is and it is largely peer pressure, elitism, bad experiences from other public school experiences, fear and bad information driving good families from giving the public schools a chance. CMS has some GREAT public schools! It's something that set us apart from many large cities growing up! We can continue to have GREAT public schools if our community would bond to contribute to them instead of taking their ball and going home based on fear.

I don't fault any parent for doing what they think is right for their kids. I just wish CMS would do a better job reassuring and proving to these parents that the CMS is a success story.
You make some good points. Some of the magnet schools have been really good examples of the positive impact of diverse schools. I'm glad to see CMS is putting a strong emphasis on this and giving priority to kids who are zoned for underperforming schools.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:49 PM

51 posts, read 81,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnishas123 View Post
First of all, the discussion was about busing Ballantyne school students. There was no mention of poor neighbourhoods or disadvantaged children in my message. Ballantyne housing is expensive and taxes are higher than other areas. People still buy there because it has good schools. This is what I meant. Schools that have high academic achievements tend to be more in demand and preferred by families. What's wrong with that? Schools are a priority for most families and they compromise on a lot of things just to have their kids attend these schools.

I didn't discuss economically disadvantaged children. I feel for them just as much as you do, only I didn't talk about it here. You did. That's all the difference. You don't know me. I request that readers just look at a post as a post and not make baseless meanings out of it. No one can truly know one's nature or personality through social networking so please don't be so quick in judging them.

I agree with you. Some people take things so personally. Let's calm down and respect others opinion. I'm trying to take the same decisions that you are right now.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:51 PM

157 posts, read 156,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
You make some good points. Some of the magnet schools have been really good examples of the positive impact of diverse schools. I'm glad to see CMS is putting a strong emphasis on this and giving priority to kids who are zoned for underperforming schools.
I think those schools are underperforming because of the majority of the kids (and families) who attend, not because of substandard drywall, bricks, paint and staffing. Otherwise there must be magic dirt in Ballantyne.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,150 times
Ballantyne has some terrific schools, and that seems to have taken on a life of its own especially among Asian parents (both East Asian and South Asian) - and Polo Ridge and Elon Park elemntaries are about 30% Asian now...

Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
If you are worried about taxes, you could move out just 4-5 miles and be in Union County. Weddington, Marvin Ridge, and Cuthbertson are all excellent schools and the taxes are significantly less.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:57 AM

54 posts, read 64,260 times
I would never purchase a house within the CMS district solely on the basis of schools. You could be in the best or worst areas for assigned schools and you are still gambling with the possibility of rezoning and other changes.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
I would never purchase a house within the CMS district solely on the basis of schools. You could be in the best or worst areas for assigned schools and you are still gambling with the possibility of rezoning and other changes.

This is simply not true. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but recommend you consult better sources.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times
generally, the only time rezoning occurs is when new schools are built. In this case rezoning is obviously required. Ballantyne is such an affluent area, noone has to worry about being sent to impoverished schools. CMS has recently reiterated their support for neighborhood schools.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM

54 posts, read 64,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This is simply not true. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but recommend you consult better sources.
Or you are just oblivious and live in a bubble. This could happen anywhere at any given time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte