Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Charlotte (from FL), and I was hoping to get some feedback on life in NC.

Here in FL, we don't have a state income tax, and I also understand that NC charges a property tax on vehicles owned. Can anyone give more info on this?

Also, I have read other threads that say the schools are too crowded and the educational system is lacking (I'm sure it is a big step up from FL, but I wondering if these posters were truthful or just bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
North Carolina Property Taxes,
Property Taxes
per 100
Mecklenburg County v$0.8189
Cabarrus County - $0.6289
Cleveland County - $0.73
Gaston County - $0.88
Iredell County - $0.465
Lincoln County - $0.61
Rowan County - $0.63
Union County - $0.6367
Belmont - $0.495
Bessemer City - $0.41
Charlotte - $0.4586
Cherryville - $0.44
Concord - $0.4475
Cornelius - $0.275
Cramerton - $0.425
Dallas - $0.38
Davidson - $0.345
Gastonia - $0.54
Harrisburg - $0.135
Hemby Bridge - $0.03
High Shoals - $0.43
Huntersville - $0.29
Indian Trail - $0.10
Kannapolis - $.497
Kings Mountain - $0.40
Lake Park - $0.23
Lincolnton - $0.56
Lowell - $0.40
Marvin - $0.05
Matthews - $0.3075
McAdenville - $0.30
Mineral Springs - $0.027
Mint Hill - $0.275
Monroe - $0.53
Mooresville - $0.55
Mount Holly - $0.54
Mount Pleasant - $0.44
Pineville - $0.30
Ranlo - $0.37
Salisbury - $0.625
Shelby - $0.42
Spencer Mountain - $0.26
Stallings - $0.25
Stanley - $0.54
Statesville - $0.38
Troutman - $0.43
Unionville - $0.02
Waxhaw - $0.34
Weddington - $0.03
Wesley Chapel - $0.02
North Carolina Income Tax
Welcome to the N.C. Department of Revenue Website

North Carolina Sales Tax
sales tax in NC (taxes) - North Carolina (NC) - City-Data Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 PM

674 posts, read 805,356 times
Yes, you will pay NC income tax as well as property tax on vehicles.

Schools are crowded because everyone and their brother is moving here. As far as lacking, I would say there is always room for improvement with all schools everywhere. Our schools are not any more lacking than those in FL.

Good luck--

Old 12-01-2007, 02:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
I am a Floridian moving to the Charlotte area in May. I am building a house there, however, I am intimately familiar with the area. First, you are correct. In N.C. one does pay income tax. It is probably a little less than most states. I have done lots of research and have considered the following: I pay out of my a.. for flood and hurrican insurance in Florida. My property tax in Florida is ridiculous and my county shows very little for the high amount of tax I pay. As a teacher, I can tell you the North Carolina schools are no worse than ours. As a matter of fact, the Charlotte area is rated fairly high on a national scale. It is a large town and it all depends on where the schools are.
I am getting where I hate the weather in Florida and want a change. So, the hell with Florida, I am leaving. They have taxed me out of the state. By the way, my insurance and property tax was around $800 per month. Sold my condo last week.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I am a Floridian moving to the Charlotte area in May. I am building a house there, however, I am intimately familiar with the area. First, you are correct. In N.C. one does pay income tax. It is probably a little less than most states. I have done lots of research and have considered the following: I pay out of my a.. for flood and hurrican insurance in Florida. My property tax in Florida is ridiculous and my county shows very little for the high amount of tax I pay. As a teacher, I can tell you the North Carolina schools are no worse than ours. As a matter of fact, the Charlotte area is rated fairly high on a national scale. It is a large town and it all depends on where the schools are.
I am getting where I hate the weather in Florida and want a change. So, the hell with Florida, I am leaving. They have taxed me out of the state. By the way, my insurance and property tax was around $800 per month. Sold my condo last week.
Congrats on getting out when you did.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 PM

264 posts, read 918,704 times
I agree with ncisgreat. The public schools are crowded, and it's because of the influx of people. Funny, but it's the newcomers who seem to complain about all the temporary buildings at the public schools. I think there are some decent schools in CharMeck, but you have to look at them individually.

The taxes here are high compared to where I have lived in the past (Texas, Northern Virginia). I just got my vehicle tax bills and I owe more than $400 for my two vehicles, a 2003 Honda and a 2005 Honda. And the bill is due before Jan. 1 so it comes right at the holidays

I would estimate my property tax at about 1% of my home's real current market value.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM

221 posts, read 724,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Location Needed View Post
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Charlotte (from FL), and I was hoping to get some feedback on life in NC.

Here in FL, we don't have a state income tax, and I also understand that NC charges a property tax on vehicles owned. Can anyone give more info on this?

Also, I have read other threads that say the schools are too crowded and the educational system is lacking (I'm sure it is a big step up from FL, but I wondering if these posters were truthful or just bitter.

Everyone is giving you really good advise. I too moved here from Florida and we considered it to be a wash.....yes, here you have to pay state income tax and personal property tax but you do not have high insurance rates. Go online and do a cost of living comparision and see how your situtation would look.
You should do your research on the schools that you are interested in sending your children to. Many schools are great and others not so great.
From my experience relocating I highly recommend that you do your homework and everything will work out. Good luck

Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 34,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Location Needed View Post

In response to Location Needed, I just want to give you a little insight abouth the schools systems down here, they are getting worst because of the over crowdness, some are still really good schools like my liitle one goes to a great school, it is a excelerating reading academy that I applied for through the School system and he was picked out of a lottery and so far I am very satisfied with this school, but another one of my children who was going to Charlotte middle school was having it rough in the school and her grades was great but the children at the school is horrible and a lot of the students were problem kids and they just was going to school to hang out seems like to me, but my husband and I took our child out and put them in a school in another county and even though it takes us about an hour to get her to school it is worth it, our child comes home happy and she loves the school. Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools is not that great anymore, there are some that are excellent but trying to get your child in them is like trying to pull a person tooth. There are waiting list for the Charter schools here, private schools are so expensive compared to anywhere I have ever been because prior to us moving here our children were in private school in our other state and once we moved here we could not afford it because it is to expensive and I can't seem to find a job, my husband did luck up and found one but I had no luck so far, but getting back to the schools and if you want your child to go to one of the magnet programs that the schools offer like the excelerating learning, writing, school of the arts that sort of thing, you first have to apply and then hope and pray that your child's name is picked from the lottery. Like I said I lucked up with one of my children but the other one we were faced to go to send them to another county to go to school. I hope that I answered your question but you check out the schools and the quotes from parents online to find out which school you would prefer for your child this is what I did.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM

674 posts, read 805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
In response to Location Needed, I just want to give you a little insight abouth the schools systems down here, they are getting worst because of the over crowdness, some are still really good schools like my liitle one goes to a great school, it is a excelerating reading academy that I applied for through the School system and he was picked out of a lottery and so far I am very satisfied with this school, but another one of my children who was going to Charlotte middle school was having it rough in the school and her grades was great but the children at the school is horrible and a lot of the students were problem kids and they just was going to school to hang out seems like to me, but my husband and I took our child out and put them in a school in another county and even though it takes us about an hour to get her to school it is worth it, our child comes home happy and she loves the school. Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools is not that great anymore, there are some that are excellent but trying to get your child in them is like trying to pull a person tooth. There are waiting list for the Charter schools here, private schools are so expensive compared to anywhere I have ever been because prior to us moving here our children were in private school in our other state and once we moved here we could not afford it because it is to expensive and I can't seem to find a job, my husband did luck up and found one but I had no luck so far, but getting back to the schools and if you want your child to go to one of the magnet programs that the schools offer like the excelerating learning, writing, school of the arts that sort of thing, you first have to apply and then hope and pray that your child's name is picked from the lottery. Like I said I lucked up with one of my children but the other one we were faced to go to send them to another county to go to school. I hope that I answered your question but you check out the schools and the quotes from parents online to find out which school you would prefer for your child this is what I did.
Moderator cut: flaming
Seriously though: yes, the schools have issues. HOWEVER the problems are not any more serious than other school systems this size faced with the MASSIVE influx of people moving here in droves. The private schools here are also priced in line with other private schools in similar sized cities.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-06-2007 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,670,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

Seriously though: yes, the schools have issues. HOWEVER the problems are not any more serious than other school systems this size faced with the MASSIVE influx of people moving here in droves. The private schools here are also priced in line with other private schools in similar sized cities.
Seriously!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-06-2007 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte