Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehawcharlotte View Post
I'm a truck driver. Oh,, I do want to say that I'm not against Charlotte, I just want to stop all the hype. Can you buy a cheaper house in Charlotte? Why Yes! It woul be great to commute from New york or DC and live in Charlotte but thats not going to happen. Until employers start to pay more things will go down. If someone could tell me other then housing what is cheaper in Charlotte.. would love to know
I thought trucking was big here. Back in the 70s, there used to be a slogan here that was used by one of the state departments - maybe commerce - something about "NC Moves with Trucks" or "NC Moves on Wheels."

So I thought trucking was huge here. Do you do contract work or are you an employee? Maybe you just need to find a new business arrangement to make more money here.

Just a thought. Forgive me if I am way off base.

But as far as CLT and jobs . . . I have personally warned many a poster that he/she is making a big mistake to relocate here w/o a job. I even went on the NJ forum and posted this info there in one of their threads about people moving to Charlotte. Sadly, people don't always believe what we tell them about the job market here, and instead reply w/ statements about how we Southerners just don't like transplants. All I can do is send out the warning.

Can't help it if people don't want to do the research and figure it out for themselves b/f they traipse down here w/ stars in their eyes and end up hating it here cause they are out of $$ and no job on the horizon.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Trucking is actually pretty big here. My dad is a truck driver for a very large union truck company and has been for 25 years. He has so much senirity that 905% of the time he drives back and fort from Charlotte to about 2 hours north of Charlotte 2-3 times a day and that's it. Charlotte is between DC and Atlanta and is the major hub between those two points.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM

245 posts, read 881,178 times
Again, from our experience in job search, you HAVE TO BE REALISTIC about your skill sets.

I keep seeing ppl on the board saying "I have 3 yrs and a degree"...3yrs and a degree in another city may get you in the door or even a job but you need more than that and some tangible successes in those three years to show why you should be hired.

Now maybe my husband is fluke but he has worked hard for over 12 years and was rewarded for his patience and diligence as a writer. He applied for something he was more than qualified for, presented tangible evidence and they hired him. He was strong in negotiations and obtained what he wanted.

Perhaps it is time for some giving as an employee instead of taking. Do some volunteer work, expand your duties at your current job. Get a decent portofolio. Otherwise, open up your own business.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjdaniels View Post
Again, from our experience in job search, you HAVE TO BE REALISTIC about your skill sets.

I keep seeing ppl on the board saying "I have 3 yrs and a degree"...3yrs and a degree in another city may get you in the door or even a job but you need more than that and some tangible successes in those three years to show why you should be hired.

Now maybe my husband is fluke but he has worked hard for over 12 years and was rewarded for his patience and diligence as a writer. He applied for something he was more than qualified for, presented tangible evidence and they hired him. He was strong in negotiations and obtained what he wanted.

Perhaps it is time for some giving as an employee instead of taking. Do some volunteer work, expand your duties at your current job. Get a decent portofolio. Otherwise, open up your own business.
Excellent advice and very well put, MrsJD. Plus, voice of experience.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjdaniels View Post
Otherwise, open up your own business.
Excellent advice! Eventually small business will be "the backbone" of Charlotte. (If it isn't already.)

Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,280 times
[quote=Perhaps it is time for some giving as an employee instead of taking. Do some volunteer work, expand your duties at your current job. Get a decent portofolio. Otherwise, open up your own business.[/quote]

I take it your a housewife?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Actually, no woman marries a house - these days we are "homemakers"
and many of us find time to work AND volunteer!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 6,280 times
I don't want a small business and I don't want a portfolio. I just want a good wage brothers and sisters.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Did I miss something here, Yehaw? This was good advice, regardless of what the poster's profession may be.

And you never answered me - are you employed or have your own rig?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
I don't want a small business and I don't want a portfolio. I just want a good wage brothers and sisters.
She probably missed the part about you being a truck driver. Good wages are found here, though we all wish we made more I'm sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte