Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 26,399 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in downtown Charlotte and would be moving from NJ with my wife and 3 kids (ages 5,5 and 3). We need help picking neighborhoods to look for houses in the 550-650k range, excellent schools, where our kids wouldn't be the only Jewish kids in their class. Any ideas?

I would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 40,691 times
Default Hello

Here is a link that may help you

Community Directory

Good luck to you

Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,387 times
I pm'd you.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdoc View Post
I am considering a job in downtown Charlotte and would be moving from NJ with my wife and 3 kids (ages 5,5 and 3). We need help picking neighborhoods to look for houses in the 550-650k range, excellent schools, where our kids wouldn't be the only Jewish kids in their class. Any ideas?

I would appreciate any advice.
nj, while the Jewish community in the city of Charlotte is growing all the time, your children are still likely to be the only Jews in their class at school. However, this is NOT a big deal if you are concerned about them being treated differently. If it is a big deal from a religious standpoint then you might want to consider sending them to the Jewish Day School.

In your price range you will have many options. Since you will be working uptown, and most likely want good access to the JCC, I would suggest you look at our lovely, established neighborhoods in south Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,382 times
There are two temples near each other on Providence Road. One is Reform (Temple Beth El) and the other is Conservative (Temple Israel). I believe the JCC is located near these two temples as well. You should be able to find their Web sites on Google. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 26,399 times
Default What counties?

Union county?
can you tell me the names of some of the established communities in South Charlotte.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,387 times
The JCC Jewish Community Center of Charlotte, NC is located on Providence Road in Mecklenburg county. Temple Beth-El Beth EL: Home is the reformed congregation and Temple Israel is the conservative congregation Temple Israel Charlotte NC. All the facilities are located on Shalom Park. The Charlotte Jewish Preschool is on Sardis Road and has the best preschool program around THE CHARLOTTE JEWISH PRESCHOOL. Sardis Road is close to the JCC.
Stay inside the 485 line on the Mecklenburg County side.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdoc View Post
Union county?
can you tell me the names of some of the established communities in South Charlotte.

Thanks
Man, there are soooo many! Look at Quelin, Cureton, Brookhaven, Firethorne - just to name a few. Just be ready for a tough commute the deeper into Union County you live. Roads in and out are all two-laned country roads.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Man, there are soooo many! Look at Quelin, Cureton, Brookhaven, Firethorne - just to name a few. Just be ready for a tough commute the deeper into Union County you live. Roads in and out are all two-laned country roads.
Amen. I can't understand if you work Uptown why anyone would want to live way out there. Are better schools really worth an hour commute each way on a good day?

Don't get me wrong it is nice out there but geez...perfect if you work in Ballantyne though!

Especially on a budget that the OP listed! I would live in Myers Park or Eastover or Elizabeth or Dilworth and commute 15 minutes to work and they ALL are very close to the Jewish Schools on Providence Rd!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Amen. I can't understand if you work Uptown why anyone would want to live way out there. Are better schools really worth an hour commute each way on a good day?

Don't get me wrong it is nice out there but geez...perfect if you work in Ballantyne though!

Especially on a budget that the OP listed! I would live in Myers Park or Eastover or Elizabeth or Dilworth and commute 15 minutes to work and they ALL are very close to the Jewish Schools on Providence Rd!
You make perfect sense to me! Some people just seem to think new construction is worth all that trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte