Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Why is NCAA creating a deadline? I don't like corporations running my government.
Then you don't like any of the people involved in the goverment? They are all lobbied and paid to do what they do. Duke energy among others control a lot of what happens. The whole coal ash "fine" and clean up, then allowing Duke to raise prices to cover those costs, then allowing them not to clean it up. You mad about that one?

NCAA set a deadline in that they said hey, here is the time frame in which we are awarding championships, conference, and tournament games to states/cities if HB2 is still law, we won't be able to work with you. NC didn't have to repeal it, but even the GOP know messing with sports/basketball in NC along with the 3.6+ billion dollars, and jobs already lost wasn't doing them any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Why is NCAA creating a deadline? I don't like corporations running my government.
LMAO - the entire government is run by corporations, where have you been?!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Then you don't like any of the people involved in the goverment? They are all lobbied and paid to do what they do. Duke energy among others control a lot of what happens. The whole coal ash "fine" and clean up, then allowing Duke to raise prices to cover those costs, then allowing them not to clean it up. You mad about that one?

NCAA set a deadline in that they said hey, here is the time frame in which we are awarding championships, conference, and tournament games to states/cities if HB2 is still law, we won't be able to work with you. NC didn't have to repeal it, but even the GOP know messing with sports/basketball in NC along with the 3.6+ billion dollars, and jobs already lost wasn't doing them any favors.
Corporations in many cases WRITE legislation that becomes law... excellent example is Monsanto.

The fact that people are not aware that this is happening blows me away.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
The City of Charlotte and Mayor Jennifer Roberts' Twitter responses to the repeal are completely different.

Jennifer Roberts: https://mobile.twitter.com/JenRobert...841536/photo/1

City of Charlotte: https://mobile.twitter.com/CLTgov/st...269121/photo/1

Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The City of Charlotte and Mayor Jennifer Roberts' Twitter responses to the repeal are completely different.

The mayor isn't that powerful and she does not employ the city employees. The city has to issue a statement in line with the city council, but the mayor is just a puppet/figurehead in our form of government. Charlotte is the largest city in the country with a Council - Manager form of government.

The city council members voted to employ Marcus D. Jones as City Manager and he took office on Dec 1, 2016. All city departments, such as Fire, Police, Community Relations, Audit, Finance, Waste, etc... roll up to reporting to Marcus Jones. As Chief Operating Officer of the city government, he is held accountable by the city council for executing the budget and functions of government on a day to day basis. That city council vote to employ him does not include the mayor, so the mayor has not direct say in the day to day operations of the city. If the mayor wanted to fire the Police Chief, she would have little say unless she got to cast a tie breaker vote, because the Police Chief does not report to her directly. That would be between the city manager and city council.

Charlotte's city government is basically set up with a mayor who has the duty of attending official ceremonies, setting the agenda for city council meetings, opening the meeting and presiding over it, and casting tie breaker votes. It isn't even a full time job.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 AM

NCAA reaction so far:

NCAA mulls response to N.C. lawmakers' vote to repeal 'bathroom bill' before deadline | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,268 times
Quote:

I can't wait to see what office Roberts is running for next. I'll be sure to donate. Money spent get her out of Charlotte is a valuable investment.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 PM

ACC events are coming back to NC. The football title game will be held in Charlotte in December.

HB2 | NC again eligible for ACC events after repeal | News & Observer

Since the ACC lifted it's ban, then I think it's a safe bet the NCAA will lift theirs also.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Corporations in many cases WRITE legislation that becomes law... excellent example is Monsanto.

The fact that people are not aware that this is happening blows me away.
People might already be aware of the practice, and not appreciate it

Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:

The City of CLT's response was appropriate and congenial. It lets me know that no matter my political leaning, "I can work with City of CLT."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte