Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM

64 posts, read 371,897 times

Advertisements

Well, you will be seeing the Japanese Beetles here as well. Do not worry though, the bats eat a lot of the bugs. LOL. I dont kill bugs I use the vacuum. I am too squeamish to smash them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 PM

305 posts, read 1,809,030 times
BATS???

First snakes, then saddle-riding bugs, now you're going to try to ease my mind and talk about freaking BATS????

I wonder how much it costs to buy a house in Antarctica.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
BATS???

First snakes, then saddle-riding bugs, now you're going to try to ease my mind and talk about freaking BATS????

I wonder how much it costs to buy a house in Antarctica.
Check out this member experience with bats.
Holy flying bats Robin!
Crud: We all have to get rabies shots

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Oh yeah, we have bats, too. They wont bother you though (if you can get past the fact that there are bats flying around). Snakes, saddle-riding bugs, black widows, and bats! Welcome to North Carolina. Seriously, you should be fine if you stay inside (jk). Last year we had freaking huge hornets. Those things must have been on steroids! I hope they do not return this year! BTW we have Starbucks here so you will not have to go without (maybe cutback due to exterminating costs). I used to live in Florida, they have flying cockroaches there too. YUCK! Never seen the flying kind here thank goodness (just the big ugly kind).

Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 AM

Listen, people ... I'm beginning to think y'all are just trying to freak me out so that we don't move to NC!!!!

I will tell you this though, there will be no cracks anywhere in our new home that will allow any kind of 4, 6, 8, or no-legged creature to slither, crawl, or jump into our house. I'm seriously thinking about building a tunnel from the front door to the mail box for the same reason!

Dang.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM

Awww, its not that bad. You wont even know they are bats, they only come out at dusk. They look like birds in the dark. I dont think I would be messing around in any dark tunnels though. I just make my husband go to the mailbox. Build yourself a screen porch. I have been in NC 12 years, I have never seen a roach in my house. Japanese beetles from time to time, wolf spiders on occasion, but I call Terminex seconds after the encounter. Make sure if you are on a crawl space (and garage) you get the mice stations. I would seriously move out if I found a mouse in this here! Those little poison boxes work great!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM

Always ... I have a cat. She's brought me (dead) garden snakes, moles, mice, shrews, birds, grasshoppers, and other various creatures. So mice I don't worry about so much.

We don't have poisonous snakes here (that I know of) so I am worried about her and snakes. She's not a cat I can keep indoors. In fact, she gets me up at 4:30 am and stays out for hours. Even more so when the weather stays above 50 degrees.

Hubby says if she's fast enough to catch a bird in flight, she's fast enough to kill a poisonous snake!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I might mention that my grandfather was using an outhouse years and years ago and was bitten on the rear end by a black widow. This is the same gentleman that was also bitten by a cottonmouth in the Yadkinville area. Despite his poor luck, he live to be 90.
Are you sure that was a Cottonmouth? Yadkin County is suppose to be waaay out of their habitat.

The shaded region represents the range of the cottonmouth in North Carolina.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 AM

93 posts, read 354,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Are you sure that was a Cottonmouth? Yadkin County is suppose to be waaay out of their habitat.

The shaded region represents the range of the cottonmouth in North Carolina.
cottonmouths are commonly confused with the northern water snake in these parts!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
NC is a low to no risk state.

Lyme Disease Risk in North Carolina - American Lyme Disease Foundation

Last edited by mm34b; 03-20-2008 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte