Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM

41 posts, read 119,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Unless I did the math wrong that's $30. a day - sounds like a good deal to me personally.
I think it is more like $48-$55 per day. OUCH!
I recommend looking on Craigslist.org. Although I do not live in Charlotte (yet...) I found a great sitter on their site and I pay $110 per week for 32-40 hours a week. Also I prefer in home care because there is interaction with other children, just not as many, and it is more comfortable for me (and my daughter) to have a home-y feel. If you go to Craigslist you can either find someone's posting there or post your own with your requirements, that way people are calling you who already know your schedule requirements, pay, etc.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
As an expecting parent, this type of attitude has gotten us to the predicament we're in now. Those tax hikes are always "for the kids." The school bonds are "for the kids." We have to run out to Babies 'R' Us and buy that $500 stroller that little Timmy's only going to be able to use for 6 months. Why? Because if we really loved our precious child, we'd sink ourselves into endless debt for him/her.

There's negligent, and then there's good enough. Somehow my parents managed to raise me without breaking their bank for daycare, fancy strollers, etc. And somehow I managed to survive riding in the front seat of their Cutlass before I was 80lbs. Oh, and we had lots of furniture with sharp pointy corners, yet somehow I didn't lose an eye. They loved me, but they were sensible at the same time.

I guess my point here is that worshipping your child is every bit as bad as worshipping any other false idol. Be sensible & do the best you can.
Yeah.

I'll second that.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
There's negligent, and then there's good enough. Somehow my parents managed to raise me without breaking their bank for daycare, fancy strollers, etc. And somehow I managed to survive riding in the front seat of their Cutlass before I was 80lbs. Oh, and we had lots of furniture with sharp pointy corners, yet somehow I didn't lose an eye. They loved me, but they were sensible at the same time. From my clothes to crib & strollers, everything I had was second hand.

I guess my point here is that worshipping your child is every bit as bad as worshipping any other false idol. Be sensible & do the best you can.
There is wisdom here and you brought back some memories!
I never had a car seat, or bike helmet.
When I could first stand I rode around with my parents in Charlotte on the front passenger seat of their VW bugs (they had a yellow one and a green one). I can still remember the smell of the rubber floormats and vinyl seats. I was protected by their 'stop short move' - thrusting their right arm to keep me from hitting the metal dash. Today parents nearly have to have SUVs, if you have 2-3 or more kids who require bulky car seats or booster seats until they are 80 lbs. Honestly I am not sure I weighed 80 lbs when I got my learner's permit at 15! Sure all of that was in the name of safety, but somewhere it spiraled our of control, I would not say my parents were negligent, it was just a simpler time.

We used to ride to Myrtle Beach and my parents would put my little brother (3 yrs or so and up) in the very back of the Buick 225 Electra wagon with some toys and just leave him there the whole time! He is fine and as a 30 something seems to have no ill effects. Ah, simpler times.

I was riding a mt bike on the sidewalk the other day in a neighborhood and a policeman actually stopped me and told me I have to wear a bike helmet - when did that start? With rampant crime in this city, isn't there other things they should be concerned with? I am a relatively intelligent person who has been riding a bicycle for at least 35 years. I am constantly amazed at what we have allowed our government to become.

Last edited by mullman; 03-24-2008 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM

396 posts, read 972,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMaggiesMom View Post
I think it is more like $48-$55 per day. OUCH!
I recommend looking on Craigslist.org. Although I do not live in Charlotte (yet...) I found a great sitter on their site and I pay $110 per week for 32-40 hours a week. Also I prefer in home care because there is interaction with other children, just not as many, and it is more comfortable for me (and my daughter) to have a home-y feel. If you go to Craigslist you can either find someone's posting there or post your own with your requirements, that way people are calling you who already know your schedule requirements, pay, etc.

Be VERY careful on Craigslist as 99% of them are unlicensed. In NC you can only watch 2 full time children not related to you without being licensed. If your child is going to someone who is unlicensed and they have more than 2 full time children you could be out of childcare very quickly if/when licensing shows up at their door. They will be IMMEDIATELY shut down and you will be out of luck. Depending on the licensor, they may have the provider call you at work and tell you to come pick up your child right away. Plus most unlicensed providers have not gone through background checks, CPR, First Aid, and SIDS training and are not required to keep their education up - Licensed providers are required to take 12 hours of trainings every year. That's not to say that all haven't, but just some things to think about when talking with these providers.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Currently I have my 1 year old in the care of someone in their home here in Ohio so I don't know the specifications of NC law... however, my sitter has children of her own so I trust her with mine. I can't say this advice is ok for everyone, but it has worked excellent for me since I returned to work when my daughter was 4 months. If you find someone, trust them, and it works for you, then I can suggest it may work for your situation like it has for mine!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This sure puts things in perspective, ouch!

I know people think daycare is expensive, but geez, these are your children, your most precious gifts - how could you expect to get by cheaply on this expense? I'm with marvinnative on this one.

I agree 100% You can't expect to pay $200/wk for a nanny..that's slave wages if you break it down to an hourly rate. You are paying someone to watch and care for your child 40+ hours per week. You wouldn't work for $3.95 an hour, so why would anyone hire someone else who would accept $3.95 an hour...either that person isn't too bright, or is selling stolen bikes out of your yard while your at work. Daycare centers are usually more affordable because the costs are being averaged out amongst several children rather than you absorbing all the costs of having a private nanny.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM

77 posts, read 217,553 times
ck their webesite. they help folks find child care - child care resoures inc www.childcareresourcesinc.org

Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
i'm relocating to the university area of charlotte and need saturday child care any suggestions.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,743 times
One thing that hasn't been discussed much in this thread is the wait time for daycare openings!!!

Every place we've looked into has 1+ year wait list. Daycares uptown are 18+ month wait lists.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
One thing that hasn't been discussed much in this thread is the wait time for daycare openings!!!

Every place we've looked into has 1+ year wait list. Daycares uptown are 18+ month wait lists.

So is that a case of book daycare now on the off chance you get pregnant in 9 months time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte