Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
ani-thanks for the info about Dobermans..But I think if my husband came home and saw a dog I know he would think I was crazy-although he all ready thinks I'm crazy so maybe I have nothing to loose. Mullmans dog is adorable. Makes me want to get one.
I wish I could rescue a dog right now. So many of the shelters are over loaded. If we could all rescue a doggie . . . then we would be helping save a doggie's life . . . and add to home protection as a side benefit! Just get a barker!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee Hee! One of my close friends has a Dobe - and her cats sleep w/ him! So don't assume they won't love each other. Dobes are great dogs . . . they get bad press b/c of poor breeding and bad training. A good Dobe is a loyal, intelligent companion.

But hey - Mullman's Baron von Rothschild doubtless makes a lot of noise and is a good watchdog!!! You can always get something smaller!!!
I say get your Dobe....your cats will love it!

We got Gabriel at 6 weeks (long story) and already had Isabelle. Gabriel is a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) and 100lbs at 16 months. Isabelle actually grooms him and our other dog Maverick. They are 3 peas in a pod!

This here is a common occurrence:

And to stay on topic, we got Gabriel for home protection. Cane Corsos are the Mossberg for home protection breeds. They are very keen and are quick to judge people's intentions. They make excellent family dogs. Of course, all of this requires proper socialization and training. So, our first line of defense is our two beasts, then they'll have to deal with an arsenal.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I say get your Dobe....your cats will love it!

We got Gabriel at 6 weeks (long story) and already had Isabelle. Gabriel is a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) and 100lbs at 16 months. Isabelle actually grooms him and our other dog Maverick. They are 3 peas in a pod!

And to stay on topic, we got Gabriel for home protection. Cane Corsos are the Mossberg for home protection breeds. They are very keen and are quick to judge people's intentions. They make excellent family dogs. Of course, all of this requires proper socialization and training. So, our first line of defense is our two beasts, then they'll have to deal with an arsenal.
Awwwwww - how precious! What a handsome boy your Gabriel is! Where the heck did you even find a breeder? A fine fellow! So glad you shared that picture . . . reminds me of my beloved Chow Sherman . . . (as in Tank). . .he and my kitties groomed each other . . . slept together.

You have a nice family, Carolina Guy.

And it's my thread. We can take our discussion on home security wherever we wanna go w/ it - and our watchdogs are quite germane to the discussion!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Awwwwww - how precious! What a handsome boy your Gabriel is! Where the heck did you even find a breeder? A fine fellow! So glad you shared that picture . . . reminds me of my beloved Chow Sherman . . . (as in Tank). . .he and my kitties groomed each other . . . slept together.

You have a nice family, Carolina Guy.

And it's my thread. We can take our discussion on home security wherever we wanna go w/ it - and our watchdogs are quite germane to the discussion!!!
Thanks, ani! And since you ok'd it, here's a pic of our other watch dog, Maverick. He's a lab mix at 45lbs with a 100lb bark. I wouldn't want to be the bad guy cornered by these two that's for sure!

And this one's just a bonus:

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Okay. That picture at Mt. Mitchell . . . (that is Mt. Mitchell, right?) . . .Gabriel is magnificent. I just have a thing for big dogs - he looks soooo intelligent, too. You make a fine duo, LOL.

Oh, dear, I see you and I think of my sons . . . your momma must be so proud of you . . .

Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Okay. That picture at Mt. Mitchell . . . (that is Mt. Mitchell, right?) . . .Gabriel is magnificent. I just have a thing for big dogs - he looks soooo intelligent, too. You make a fine duo, LOL.

Oh, dear, I see you and I think of my sons . . . your momma must be so proud of you . . .
Ah, you're sweet. Yeah, she's proud and I'm a momma's boy.

Yep, Mount Mitchell in January. It was a perfect day for hiking.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Ah, you're sweet. Yeah, she's proud and I'm a momma's boy.

Yep, Mount Mitchell in January. It was a perfect day for hiking.
I KNEW there was something special about you - you love mountains too, don't you???? LOVE that pic!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Love Mt Mitchell!
One of our favorite day trips.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM

We live in a beautiful region! Our quality of life is precious . . . NC is a great place to live . . . and we gotta make sure CLT stays a great place to live.

It is sad to me - as I know it is to so many of you - that we have any crime at all here. I guess I want it to be my chunk of paradise, LOL!!! I think our newcomers feel the same way . . . we have been blessed w/ people coming to this state who were looking for the wonderful things NC has to offer.

Sadly, it seems we have attracted criminals simply b/c we DO have a wonderful quality of life here! They have found out we love our homes, our neighborhoods . . . and they want to take pieces of it away from us!

We can't let these thugs diminish the joy we feel in raising our families here . . . we should not have to live w/ concerns about the safety of our neighborhoods - or our children.

Charlotte is growing rapidly . . . we are moving into new neighborhoods and people don't always know their neighbors . . .it takes time to make a subdivision into a "community." We need to reach out to newcomers . . . find out who our neighbors are . . . join hands in figuring out how to look out for each other.

I have been so frustrated w/ the increase in break-ins . . . I hope by more of us becoming actively involved w/ our city/county government, we can get whatever is needed to combat crime. If that means we citizens need to fight to get $$ for the budget (and thus - police force) then that is what we need to do.

And meanwhile . . . we all need to figure out ways to protect ourselves and our families . . . including alarm systems, guard dogs . . . and if a family is comfortable w/ having firearms that are safely stored in the home . . . then that is another decision that needs to be considered. Neighborhood watches . . . and making good personal decisions about where we go, with whom and when . . . things that will keep us from being a target or becoming a victim.

Nothing can guarantee that we won't have something bad happen . . . we can be involved in a car wreck on our way home this evening! But we can take measures to at least minimize the possibility that we will become a victim of any type of crime.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
For whom ever reads this.Let me clarify a little more.What i'm trying to say is pulling the trigger should be your second deterrent.I hope all of you guys have an alarm system and try to keep it on as much as you can.If you don't, go get signs and stickers and try to fool someone in to thinking you have an alarm system.Now, if someone break into your house and the alarm is blasting and they decide to stay in your house,by all means pull the chopper out, with the banana clip loaded with full metal jackets and take limbs off one by one.Hopefully, they will run away when the alarm goes off and every thing will be peachy.
Maybe 'peachy' for that one family but what about the next door this thug kicks in in the middle of the night? Maybe one without an alarm...where he doesn't run away...where the home owners don't have a gun to stop him. No, that doesn't sound all that peachy to me. Scare them off with an alarm and all will be peachy...give me a break. I have never heard of an alarm that rings in such a way as to reform a thug. He will just move on to the next house, in the next neighborhood. Again...that is not PEACHY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte