Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:10 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
All that being said, you start to wonder what the heck is wrong w/ this place. It is just WEIRD! So yeah, when you get in that mindset and just want a good "slice of pizza" well...good luck if you know what I mean.
Do you really think that this place is *weird*?

What makes it so?

As to food, there are few "hole in the wall" good eats in Charlotte, but there are good restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Do you really think that this place is *weird*?

What makes it so?

As to food, there are few "hole in the wall" good eats in Charlotte, but there are good restaurants.
Not true...maybe 10 years ago the restaurant scene was limited, but it has greatly improved and there are hole-in-the-wall places of just about every cuisine around. Still a ways to go, but definitely a lot around. From Indian street food to spicy Szechuan to Ethiopian, it’s all here - and a lot of it recently.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Not true...maybe 10 years ago the restaurant scene was limited, but it has greatly improved and there are hole-in-the-wall places of just about every cuisine around. Still a ways to go, but definitely a lot around. From Indian street food to spicy Szechuan to Ethiopian, it’s all here - and a lot of it recently.
I have found decent Middle Eastern food in Charlotte, although Europe is not well represented; although there are a few exceptions, most of the Italian fare in Charlotte is made for an American audience.

That said, I expect it; Charlotte's in the South. So, in the meantime, I enjoy the great BBQ that's here .

Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 AM

573 posts, read 549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Charlotte offers what other big cities in the U.S. offer. Maybe Norse food might be hard to find unless one is around Minneapolis or that part of the world, but we have about anything one could want. One can now find descent Korean, Indian, Cuban, Mexican, Vietnamese, Italian, Spanish, Greek, West Indian, or many other ethnic foods. Unfortunately, we still have to travel to Salisbury and other towns for descent N.C. BBQ. Thirty years ago London was probably one of the worse huge cities in the modern world for eating out. It is now a great place and heading in the right trend. That is what has happened to Charlotte and we are much smaller. If you can't find what you want here, you ain't looking very hard.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
IMO, the local media here just ruminates on the crime. I myself do not like Charlotte. The way the roads are designed, culture, politics, etc. etc. is just not my thing. We are working on moving away!!! Thanks for your good wishes if any ;-) I know someone wants to write something like "see ya" "don't let the door hit ya" "take 77 north"...come on please I know you have it in you!!! you know who you are.

I get a kick out of how everyone comes to this site and asks opinions on moving here. Did you ever notice they only listen to the people who are pro Charlotte and simply ignore and fail to consider when someone brings up negative aspects of Charlotte like crime, bad schools, bad healthcare, traffic, etc. selective bias?!? Even when these people write in to say oh I want a cheap place, with easy commute, and good schools. Dude, there is a reason for all the private schools! As for housing, unless you move an hour out of Charlotte there are very few cheap places close to where you need to commute, etc. and when they are close are filled with plane, train, or automobile noise. oh and NO the ocean and mountains are NOT like 2-3 and 3-4hrs away...it may be but is riddled with nothing but obstacles to get there like traffic, back roads, work trucks, slow drivers, LEFT LANE drivers, and whatever. come on man!

Not everyone lived in downtown NYC, Boston, Newark, etc. when they moved here. There are places folks like Metro West Boston, Upstate NY where there is plenty of land, good schools, quality healthcare, low crime, traffic, drivers who are more respectful on the road, quality culture, educated people, and peace and quite. BUT, like me, people move here for all reasons, like weather, not just to "escape taxes" or whatever labels some of you folks like to spew. But when they get here, like me, they realize jeez these restaurants serious cannot cook a good meal, traffic is really really horrible to the point that sometimes I cannot make it a mile without some slow poke pulling out in front of me, or cutting me off without a blinker. Then there is the whole everyone is either 20's or 30's w/ kids. Man as active 40' year olds man is it hard to make quality friendships here.

All that being said, you start to wonder what the heck is wrong w/ this place. It is just WEIRD! So yeah, when you get in that mindset and just want a good "slice of pizza" well...good luck if you know what I mean.
Gourmet food in Vermont consists of Maple syrup and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Sorry, I've been there. My I suggest that you move to Mt. Airy if you want to avoid "slow pokes pulling out in front" of you. By the way, that isn't unique to Charlotte. Sorry everyone is in their 20s and 30s. It is just that sex was big in 1980s and 1990s. I've been to Montpelier and Burlington, both full of 20s and 30 year old people. They are like Asheville wannabees. If you are having a hard time making a quality friendship here, you should examine yourself and see what could be wrong with you. Lets be honest, there are 2 1/2 million people in the metro area. If one can't find a "quality friendship" here, it could be because the seeker is smelly, has a nasty personality, dresses like a Star Wars character, or doesn't zip up his pants. Hell, physical features aren't even an obstacle. For most, there is someone there that is a potential "quality" find. Suggestion.

I believe you are homesick and refuse to take advantage of what is being offered here. We may not be Paris, but we're happy as are the thousands that move here annually.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Late breaking news...Crime happens everywhere.
Charlotte has more crime than some other places.

According to US News in 2016 Charlotte has a Violent Crime Rate score of 441.3 which means higher violent crime. Higher scores are worse.

Portland, Oregon and Pittsburg, PA have scores of 276 and 277, respectively.
San Antonio, TX is worse at 526.

According to US News in 2016 Charlotte has a Property Crime Rate score of 2919.5 which means higher property crime. Higher scores are worse. Portland, Oregon has a score of 1682, which is better. (Lower is better.)

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...harlotte/crime

One website (sorry, don't think am supposed to link to this one:

Charlotte violent crime is 54.2. (The US average is 31.1)
Charlotte property crime is 52.8. (The US average is 38.1)

City-Data crime index for Charlotte on the following page, which has not been updated in 4-6 years, depending on category:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-27-2018 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Crime is no issue in Charlotte....

Something I miss in CLT that I find DC has no easy substitute is Romare Park. Romare Park is so awesome at night and so active and cosmopolitan. Any night of the week. Not really any places in DC with the same vibe. The mall is dead and hasn’t near the energy, big lights or much of anything at night. Even 1st ward park is pretty fun at night

Old 07-28-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Charlotte has more crime than some other places.

No kidding? Every city has more crime than some other places except the place on top.

According to US News in 2016 Charlotte has a Violent Crime Rate score of 441.3 which means higher violent crime. Higher scores are worse.

Portland, Oregon and Pittsburg, PA have scores of 276 and 277, respectively.
San Antonio, TX is worse at 526.

According to US News in 2016 Charlotte has a Property Crime Rate score of 2919.5 which means higher property crime. Higher scores are worse. Portland, Oregon has a score of 1682, which is better. (Lower is better.)

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...harlotte/crime

One website (sorry, don't think am supposed to link to this one:

Charlotte violent crime is 54.2. (The US average is 31.1)
Charlotte property crime is 52.8. (The US average is 38.1)

City-Data crime index for Charlotte on the following page, which has not been updated in 4-6 years, depending on category:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html
I don't know if there is a point to this topic, but the poster is confused. In regards to violent crime charlotte has a rate of 732 per 100K, Pittsburgh 782 per 100K. Pittsburgh has a murder rate of 19 per 100K compared to Charlotte's 7 per 100K which is the same as San Antonio's and far less than Pittsburgh's 19 per 100K. San Antonio's murder rate is the same as Charlottes. True, Portland is lower in regards to violent crime, but that is because Portland is a city with a totally different diversity than Charlotte and is mainly snowflake, geeky people. Also, Charlotte has a larger metro population than Pittsburgh, Portland, and San Antonio. Change you source of information.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
I have found decent Middle Eastern food in Charlotte, although Europe is not well represented; although there are a few exceptions, most of the Italian fare in Charlotte is made for an American audience.

That said, I expect it; Charlotte's in the South. So, in the meantime, I enjoy the great BBQ that's here .
I am weird. I don't like pork much at all. I will eat BBQ if that is all that is offered at a party or whatever, but I never buy pork and I don't choose to order it when I go out if I don't have to. And not fond of butterbeans, black-eyed-peas, or collard greens.

I do like shrimp and grits though, and cornbread, and several other Southern foods.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Many of the larger European cities abound in Middle Eastern food, i.e. London, Manchester, Paris, Den Hague, Amsterdam, Brussels, Madrid, Malaga, Barcelona, and Nice, and Naples. I know as I love Middle Eastern food. As far as southern food, much has its origins in Europe and the middle east. Many don't know that grits are palenta and are eaten corn producing countries abroad. , and fried chicken has orgins in Scotland as does a varied version of livermuch which was an early staple by Scots-Irish. Grits, semolina, and similar granular foods are eaten in middle eastern countries in one form or another. I'm not too sure about the origins of the types of Carolina BBQ that so many of us adore although the best seems to come from Carolina, Tennessee, Kansas, and Texas. Cattle has been around for a long time and the only thing that could have been "not" introduced to us southern BBQ loves is the sauce. So, when you look at it, much of our cherished foods in the south were introduced by our ancestors from the old countries. Thankfully, our ancestors gave us BBQ and fried chicken and not pizza.

In regards to Italian fare in Charlotte being made for an American audience, I find that is true in most cities outside of the northeast where most Italians settled. The same is typical of Chinese, Indian, and some other ethnic foods all over the U.S. and in much of Europe. In some cases, I much prefer the flavored up versions of that made for Americans, i.e. Chinese dishes and Tex-Mex. It is all good. Bottom line, I am a foodie and that is a big part of my life, especially foreign dishes. I just like to see new places opening with food presented by people from that country and not a New Yorker that uses his grandmothers not so good receipt and eventually ends up out of business because it just wasn't that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte