Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
Update:

I decided to go to Concord Mills due to more familiarity and more apartments I found suitable. Found a really nice one that suites my needs and then some, right next to where I stayed back in the spring. I move down the end of November and am very excited!

I spoke with quite a few places and had in-depth personal conversations with some of the complex managers. Like anything, it's all about the personality and vibe you give off. I always chuckle at the negativity I read on here. I know my reasons for moving to NC, and am looking what I can contribute to the area. It's an exciting time, but anyone who reads my post, do realize that you need to take these threads with a grain of salt. Lots of opinion, not always much fact, and if you aren't careful, you run through risk of making a decision you will regret, or never make at all. I'm pretty outgoing, but I had no issues talking with different people on any of my trips. Very friendly, happy to chat a while, and it didn't matter what color their skin was or age. Just remember how you come across and keep your expectations reasonable. No place will give you everything, and it's up to YOU to be social and seek out opportunity. Bringing up whrtenyoure from tends to ignite the conversation. I met people who were native to Charlotte, but had family near me in Massachusetts!

Best of luck to anyone who sees this thread and relocates. I'll update after I'm down for a few months.

We have been living in the same (Concord Mills) area for a little over 5 years and are very happy. The only downside is Mall-traffic, but we expected that when we started renting in the area. Best of luck and welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:31 AM

60 posts, read 91,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your update. You have a good positive attitude and the right perspective on moving to a new place. I love that you are excited to contribute to the area and make it a better place to live.

Welcome to Charlotte.. soon!
Thank you very much! Lots of opportunity and finally able to have my own place. Lots to be excited for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
We have been living in the same (Concord Mills) area for a little over 5 years and are very happy. The only downside is Mall-traffic, but we expected that when we started renting in the area. Best of luck and welcome!
Happy to hear! It's a great area from all I've seen in my visits and knowing the traffic ahead of time is key. Where I am going to be is off Weddington road, so less headaches directly in front of my place.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,042 times
My family and I are coming down in January to visit both Atlanta and Charlotte. We were originally from Long Island and now we have been on a mountain in Pennsylvania for five years and well it definitely is not for us! I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed reading everything that you wrote because you kept up with it and you wrote after your move and I appreciate that. It was almost like reading a story and I wish more people would post like you! Good luck with your move and we are excited to come down and see both world of difference!

Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times
Quote:
Well, I no longer need to worry about the job search. I will be working remotely for my employer. I really like my job and company so it is a pretty awesome arrangement. I will be moving down around October/November.

Sometimes it pays to trust your gut and explore the opportunities right in front of you. I was not looking forward to having to find job when all I want is to move my location.
This sounds like the best possible situation for you! I am impressed by the levelheaded and mature way you approached a move and I am glad your boss sees the merit in keeping you within the company.

Having lived all up and down the East coast there are always pros and cons to any location. Yes, the summers in NC are hot and humid. The winters can be cold but actually more in a refreshing way to me as opposed to dirty snow piles, slush and biting wind (I lived 25 years in that climate). The sky is often still blue and clear in winter as opposed to grey and depressing. All my opinion, of course.

Best of luck to you and please do keep us updated.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilinBobby View Post
My family and I are coming down in January to visit both Atlanta and Charlotte. We were originally from Long Island and now we have been on a mountain in Pennsylvania for five years and well it definitely is not for us! I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed reading everything that you wrote because you kept up with it and you wrote after your move and I appreciate that. It was almost like reading a story and I wish more people would post like you! Good luck with your move and we are excited to come down and see both world of difference!
Happy to help! I move down 2 weeks from today and am incredibly excited! It's a big step for me, but going in level headed with realistic expectations is key. I have some incredible friends and family supporting me on this and one of my best friends is making the trip down in one of my vehicles to help. Hope you enjoy your trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
This sounds like the best possible situation for you! I am impressed by the levelheaded and mature way you approached a move and I am glad your boss sees the merit in keeping you within the company.

Having lived all up and down the East coast there are always pros and cons to any location. Yes, the summers in NC are hot and humid. The winters can be cold but actually more in a refreshing way to me as opposed to dirty snow piles, slush and biting wind (I lived 25 years in that climate). The sky is often still blue and clear in winter as opposed to grey and depressing. All my opinion, of course.

Best of luck to you and please do keep us updated.
Thank you! A move like this is something I don't think should be taken lightly. Years ago, (as many as that can for 27 years old lol) I would have chickened out, but I've just become so self aware that if you want change, you need make it happen. No regrets and look for opportunities in front of you. Incredibly grateful for how his has worked out so far.

Will keep updating this as time passes to hopefully help others. Life's too short to keep wondering if you should take the leap.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Been down and settling in for the past few weeks. The drive was a fun adventure with one of my best friends. Memories you will remember for a long time doing a trip like that. I absolutely love my apartment and anyone who has seen it has been so taken aback. Lots of nice places to rent which is typically reserved for deep pockets back home in MA. It's been nice to have intelligent conversations with people about NASCAR for a change and while meeting people will take time, it's all in the mindset to stay positive through the beginning stages after a move. Very happy so far and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and holidays.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:01 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
Been down and settling in for the past few weeks. The drive was anfun adventure with one of my best friends. Memories you will remember for a long time doing a trip like that. I absolutely love my apartment and anyone who has seen it has been so taken aback. It's been nice to have intelligent conversations with people about NASCAR for a change and while meeting people will take time, it's all in the mindset to stay positive through the beginning stages after a move. Very happy so far and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and holidays.
Merry Christmas to you too! Glad things are going well so far

Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Merry Christmas to you too! Glad things are going well so far
Thank you so much!

Old 12-30-2019, 06:18 AM

Default Just over one year update

I just figured I would give a one year update to anyone considering the move.

So far so good! I am very happy with my move and am very glad that I explored my opportunities with my job to make this happen. It really has put me in a good place down here and I was able to keep a constant/familiar situation. The adaption to remote work has been good. As expected, meeting people has certainly taken time, but honestly, real friendships take time to form organically.

I have noticed some people are desperate to make friends (not my style), others are closed off (not as often), and most people are very welcoming and happy to chat. I have never spoken to so many people I truly never knew before and part of that is I do think because my remote work situation has made me more conscious of needing face-to-face interaction; the other is people are genuinely more welcoming. If you aren't a know-it-all or jerk, most people are quite nice.

While my work situation is a bit different, I know so many people fear building a network again after moving. Whether you are moving to any part of the country, it's going to take time. I can't stress that enough. I had people tell me down here once they heard I moved that it can take a good 1-2 years to feel situated. Explore your hobbies, gym, talk to people, etc. It has helped me do things I would shy away from back in MA.

From what I can tell from the last few years, prices have steadily risen for rent and homes in my area (Concord). I do suspect this is a bubble, but do keep in mind, that it's not dirt cheap in many of these areas anymore. Housing is significantly cheaper than back in MA, but most other expenses are similar. Groceries from Food Lion, Walmart, and similar places are not far off the prices back in MA. The vehicle tax is much more than the excise tax in MA, so plan accordingly. My vehicles have property taxes that are 2-3 times the MA excise tax.

The weather has been great for me, no complaints. I did not find the summer over bearing at all. Sure it's hot, but most places have AC and you just have to plan accordingly. I do prefer the heat. As I type, it is nearly 70* on 12/30

Overall, I am very happy with my decision, and I encourage anyone else to give it a shot. Be real with your expectations, have an open mind, don't be close off, and it will be a great experience.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
^ Thank you so much for sharing! You have a great attitude, reasonable expectations, and positive outlook. Hope you continue to do well!

I agree on the housing market. It is amazing how much prices have risen. I suspect we will eventually we a correction, though it seems new build inventory can't keep up with population growth which is constraining supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte