Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,211 times

Advertisements

Hope you enjoy your trip to Charlotte! We're on the same boat! My family and I are relocating this July and closing in a few weeks. What helped me with the pending transition is I broke down everything into phases so that it won't overwhelm us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:22 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
I appreciate the kind words! It's an exciting time to be able to look at realistically pull a move like this off within a year or so. Like anything, I would rather be methodical as much as possible before pulling the trigger. Biggest hurdle will be job no doubt.

I'm amazed at the negativity I read myself, but also remember car forums are similar as people come online to gripe. Same type of atmosphere. If you aren't happy, it's time to move haha

Please let us know how it goes. I'm looking forward to moving back to NC this time next year. Even though I've spent a large amount of time in Charlotte, it's been a while. My brother is moving to Charlotte and I decided to look further into the Fort Mill and Tega Cay area. Happy travels!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM

73 posts, read 91,641 times
As a past transplant from the wintery north, have been following your thread for a while. I remember our first visit when we were looking and contemplating the move 3 years back, and hope yours is going or went really well!

Anxiously awaiting your update and we listened to that "gut feeling" that said we could do better and be happier somewhere else, regardless of the challenges related to moving.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:21 PM

60 posts, read 91,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosskrupka25 View Post
Hope you enjoy your trip to Charlotte! We're on the same boat! My family and I are relocating this July and closing in a few weeks. What helped me with the pending transition is I broke down everything into phases so that it won't overwhelm us.
Thank you! So far so good, been enjoying myself for sure. To me, it's all about being realistic and not rushing. Moving is a big decision, and it sounds like you and your family have handled it smartly!

Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Please let us know how it goes. I'm looking forward to moving back to NC this time next year. Even though I've spent a large amount of time in Charlotte, it's been a while. My brother is moving to Charlotte and I decided to look further into the Fort Mill and Tega Cay area. Happy travels!

Thank you! It is amazing how friendly people are, I know nice people are everywhere, but even checking out at the store, there is an increased effort to be pelasant and have a little chat.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkotrides View Post
As a past transplant from the wintery north, have been following your thread for a while. I remember our first visit when we were looking and contemplating the move 3 years back, and hope yours is going or went really well!

Anxiously awaiting your update and we listened to that "gut feeling" that said we could do better and be happier somewhere else, regardless of the challenges related to moving.
It's going well so far! Thank you and I continue to feel that NC would provide a strong base for setting up a life here. This is my second visit and have another 2-3 planned this year. Next one is mid May. After reading some other posts and observing various personalities in life, so many approach everything with "what can this offer me" instead of what can I find here and share my talents, kindness etc, and find a mutually beneficial relationship. No state ever will offer you everything (you in general) and NC is no different. I like the climate, the prices, and overall atmosphere, especially being a NASCAR fan. My sister and her BF take trips frequently to breweries, go hiking, sightseeing etc and explore. That to me is the beauty of this area. There is so much to do if you go out and utilize the environment.

I flew in Tuesday and thankful as heck I did. I was supposed to go out early Wednesday and was able to push up my flight. The snow would have foiled my plans at my connecting flight out of NYC. They were offering $2k to stay in NYC and give up a seat lol.

I am a big car guy, so I booked a "sporty" car for my rental and was hoping for a V8 Challenger. Sure enough, I came in Tuesday night and the last car they had was an R/T Challnger, talk about being in heaven! I belong to Lifetime Fitness backhome so I drove out to two locations so far (University location near UNC and also their Matthews location) and was disappointed. No pool and old feeling and small. I was directed to the location in Charlotte near Waverly and it was like being home. I'm not "high maitencence" by any means, but I love to swim and working out is something I do every day, so that is important to me. I like the facilities LT offers so that is something I look at from a location standpoint. It was near Pineville where my sister lived last year, so it's definitely busy. From their house in Concord, it's only a 39 minute drive with little to no traffic, but I have learned that 485 can be a nightmare.

So far so good overall, and just keeping an open mind. I'm the type of person that can make most places work as I see the positives. I know we are going to hit the Zoo and some other outdoor places this week so definitely looking forward to that!

Will keep this updated and thank you for following along

Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
I don't know much about Lifetime Fitness but check out the YMCA's in Charlotte. Most of them are very nice and worth the monthly fee. Also, they usually waive the joining fee in January.

Hope your trip continues to be a success.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 AM

In just over a month I head back down for another scouting trip. A few people close to me have commented on bumping up my timeline to start applying and reaching out to companies in mid August. At first I was against it, but I'm sure the out of state job search will be challenging. Their argument is your mind is made up, why keep delaying? At this point, I agree.

Per usual, will keep this updated

Old 04-05-2018, 06:22 AM

751 posts, read 934,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
In just over a month I head back down for another scouting trip. A few people close to me have commented on bumping up my timeline to start applying and reaching out to companies in mid August. At first I was against it, but I'm sure the out of state job search will be challenging. Their argument is your mind is made up, why keep delaying? At this point, I agree.

Per usual, will keep this updated

Depends on the job and your flexibility in moving earlier than you thought if the right offer came along. From your initial post, you said you wanted to move in Spring/Winter of next year. If you really can't move before Spring, then there isn't much reason to start looking for jobs until January or so...most hiring processes take 30-90 days. If you have some flexibility to move Dec'18+, then start looking 30-90 days before then. The downside to not having early flexibility thought is missing out on good opportunities...jobs aren't easy to come by and if you wait too long to start looking, then you may not find anything for a bit.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM

I can move earlier, and looking at the job market, I think it would be wise due to the 30-90 days or more, like you say. If the right opportunity comes up, I'll jump on it. I don't have any baggage, so it'd be fairly straightforward. No kids, wife/gf, house etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte