Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I feel like pretty much every rural area is what you’re describing. You think Idaho, Montana, Ohio, rural PA. Rural Wisconsin, rural anywhere is anymore progressive than Buckhead or Austin?
The only rural areas that would be about as or more progressive than Buckhead (which strikes me as more libertarian than progressive) or Austin are parts of rural New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexblevins0317 View Post
No it isn't!!! I've been almost everywhere in the Carolina's, More Conservative than Liberal!!!
I'm going to guess that you have not spent much time in rural Pennsylvania.

I live on an outer edge of the Charlotte metro. A woman from a very rural area of Pennsylvania moved here. Numerous natives talked about how offensively conservative she was.

I'm not buying what you're selling.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Hello!

My husband and I currently live in Virginia (Southern, VA) and we have been here damn near 4 years. We are recently from New York. Worst mistake of our lives moving to VA, thanks to a (former) friend's recommendation of the "High Quality Lifestyle" which comes from living in VA.

Man was she WRONG! It's our mistake from not doing our due-diligence, research, etc. So now, we've saved up money and looking to move in the next 6 months to 1 year. We were considering North Carolina or South Carolina.

We want to get as far away from VA as possible. We heard things about Raleigh, NC and Cary, NC but their only like two hours away from where we are now. Is it anything like VA? If so, we aren't interested. How is Charlotte and Concord NC? My husband's job is going to relocate him closer to one of those areas. I honestly prefer Asheville, NC. I heard its the most liberal city in NC. Does any others come to mind?

We are looking to live in a more "LIBERAL/PROGRESSIVE/CULTURALLY & ECONOMICALLY DIVERSE" state. Would you guys say that NC is more Liberal than SC? We are an African American and Latino American couple and we really want to live in states that are "open-minded" when it comes to cultures. Virginia is a very backwards state. They aren't open-minded. It's been difficult for us to obtain jobs here, laws are horrible, cops seem to be bias, the government appears to be crooked. We're just looking for better.

In terms of quality of living, do you guys think NC is better than SC? Which is more culturally diverse? I've read that NC appears to be more culturally diverse. In terms of taxes, which state has higher income/sales taxes?

We will be more than likely renting for a couple years before buying a home. Would you guys say the rental market is better in NC or SC? What about the weather in the Carolinas? Which one has better weather? Warmer weather? Fewer Hurricanes? When it comes to traffic, which state has better traffic? Which state is more congested with more people?

We are used to living in the rural/suburban areas in VA. There are Pros and Cons to living in rural areas but I do prefer a rural/suburban area due to the traffic and amount of people. It's just easier to drive and get around.

I am a reseller also, and would prefer to live close to Malls/Stores/etc. Do you guys think NC or SC is better? Which state is also more pet friendly. We have a dog and three cats and want to live in an open-minded and pet friendly place.

If you guys can please write me back, I would appreciate it. This means so much to me!

Thanks!

My humble opinion, been here in WNC for about 14 years. After reading your wants and needs above, if I were you, I would definitely look into these areas of NC: Davidson, Carrboro, Chapel Hill and their surrounds. Very nice. If you really need to be closer to Charlotte, if he has to commute to work, then those won't work. Look up Mint Hill, and other areas north of Charlotte. You may also want to look at areas around Lake Norman, north of Charlotte, beautiful area, getting high population in the past 10 years and plenty of shopping etc. Fairly easy commute to Charlotte. Note though: Charlotte is under construction everywhere, as are their highways --are a major pain in the neck. I was just there on Monday, it's over a 2 hr. drive from Hendersonville. Asheville would be out of the question, and you may think it could be your cup of tea ... but I definitely doubt it.

You may also want to use the plethora of information on the opening page of City Data, which breaks down so many areas, rather than getting random territorial suggestions. Best advice: take some road trips and soak in the 'atmospheres'. Best wishes.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-06-2019 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 AM

196 posts, read 213,076 times
This poster paints ENTIRE states with a VERY broad brush. I live in SC, a conservative state in the Deep South.

However, some parts of the state - and even my town (which happens to be the state capital) - are "redder" than others.

My small neighborhood tends to have more like-minded progressive residents than another neighborhood 2 miles away. Greenville and Charleston can also be more progressive, but they are smaller cities surrounded by more rural, red areas.

Even California, where I lived previously, tends to be liberal on the outside (coastal areas) and more conservative on the inside (inland and rural area.

If you're looking for an overall progressive place, with liberal values, you should be looking at BLUE states like Colorado or Massachusetts - not the Carolinas.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
However, some parts of the state - and even my town (which happens to be the state capital) - are "redder" than others.
Huh? Columbia easily among the bluest parts of the state with Richland County being solidly blue. I don't know where you're getting this from.

Quote:
My small neighborhood tends to have more like-minded progressive residents than another neighborhood 2 miles away. Greenville and Charleston can also be more progressive, but they are smaller cities surrounded by more rural, red areas.
Charleston is about as progressive as Columbia. Greenville? Not at all; it's quite red for a city its size. And Charleston isn't a smaller city; its the same size as Columbia.

You must not have lived in SC long at all.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
I don't think most of these people trying to sale "they're conservative" acknowledge that most modern carolianans are from blue states..

Old 07-04-2020, 02:41 PM

31 posts, read 41,948 times
Okay, so about 6 months ago my family members have left Charlotte as the sheen has tarnished, heads over the border to SC.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:59 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Northern Virginia may be more liberal and progressive than southern Virginia as it is more urban, diverse, and closer to DC.
That may have been a better choice for the OP than the southern part of the state.

In NC the urban areas of Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, and Asheville may be more liberal than the rest of the state which leans conservative. Perhaps visit these areas and see which is more appealing.

SC is generally conservative, but there is some moderate or liberal leaning diversity in Greenville and Charleston which are nice areas.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 647 times
Morning folks. I just stumbled upon this website. There is some interesting and fine reading on this thread. I'm an airline guy just trying to pick a placed to live. I did grow up in VA...Roanoke area. Don't visit much. Currently live in Colorado. Too darn cold in the winter time and the folks from California are ruining the place as they are in Arizona and Idaho. Have a small place in Scottsdale too. My wife and I are getting ready to retire. We desire to live close to a lake. I have visited areas around Lakes Norman, Keowee and Martin. I'm already a retired fighter pilot so that pretty much puts me into the conservative box. Yes I am a Trump guy!. There I said it. Might be barking up the wrong tree here but what are some of your thoughts on Norman vs. Keowee, NC vs SC?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 PM

335 posts, read 428,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualgrizz View Post
Morning folks. I just stumbled upon this website. There is some interesting and fine reading on this thread. I'm an airline guy just trying to pick a placed to live. I did grow up in VA...Roanoke area. Don't visit much. Currently live in Colorado. Too darn cold in the winter time and the folks from California are ruining the place as they are in Arizona and Idaho. Have a small place in Scottsdale too. My wife and I are getting ready to retire. We desire to live close to a lake. I have visited areas around Lakes Norman, Keowee and Martin. I'm already a retired fighter pilot so that pretty much puts me into the conservative box. Yes I am a Trump guy!. There I said it. Might be barking up the wrong tree here but what are some of your thoughts on Norman vs. Keowee, NC vs SC?
I can’t speak for others, but my personal opinion is that the Charlotte metro is a fairly progressive area, but there are still plenty of conservatives who are just as comfortable as the liberals and anyone in between. I live in south Charlotte, our neighborhood had a few pride flags out for pride month right beside the neighbors with their trump signs in their yard. I don’t think you’ll feel uncomfortable at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte