Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 08:24 PM

222 posts, read 196,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oh, come off it.

You've stated repeatedly that you're from Philadelphia. It's an old city with good transit, & a high percentage of the population has a car.

People in Philadelphia don't like it one little bit when New Yorkers say that Philadelphia is boring, etc. etc. Why do you think it's ok to say it about Charlotte?
And for the record I’m not against owning a car or driving. It’s being car dependent every time you need to get somewhere especially in a timely manner that I don’t enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 08:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Umm sorry for responding to posts? I thought his was an open forum unless I’m mistaken. If your opinion differs from mine that’s fine, I won’t hold it against you.

And that specific comment I made really applies to any suburban area.. not just Charlotte.
I'm pointing something out to you that you know darned well. I'm just saying, you've been in their shoes & I know it. I'm just saying act like it.

Do you have something constructive to say? I've pointed out that the addition of a Fairmont Park type of park would be a good thing, in previous threads. Someone did it in this thread. Taking potshots isn't a positive way to get a point across. Do I have to remind you that the Far Northeast is not that far off from some areas of Charlotte? Do I have to remind you that it can be a pain to find street parking in Society Hill because so many residents have their cars parked there?

You came into this taking shots at Charlotte. Remember, they put a courtroom in Vet Stadium because NYers would come to games & take potshots at Philly & it would devolve into fistfights.

I'm saying don't do to others what you don't like having done to yourself.

Since the annexation laws were changed Charlotte is getting more dense. There are ways to say things. Think about that.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Depending on how long the growth trend continues, sunbelt cities are transforming faster than ever. I think cities like Charlotte are on the precipice of doing just what you're talking about due to demand. Good or bad, all that's coming in the next 10-15 years, larger city parks with water-centric features, an Aquarium, urban zoo, more museums, etc. 70s/80s/90s growth was primarily driven by the financial complex and business thought leaders that unquestionably built a button-up town that suited their taste. No doubt it'll have a residual effect but the next wave is going to much more culturally driven and good time to have some skin in the game. This is the new "IT" corridor, the I-85 corridor.
I think you're right. The River District may produce the Fairmont Park type of park.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I'm pointing something out to you that you know darned well. I'm just saying, you've been in their shoes & I know it. I'm just saying act like it.

Do you have something constructive to say? I've pointed out that the addition of a Fairmont Park type of park would be a good thing, in previous threads. Someone did it in this thread. Taking potshots isn't a positive way to get a point across. Do I have to remind you that the Far Northeast is not that far off from some areas of Charlotte? Do I have to remind you that it can be a pain to find street parking in Society Hill because so many residents have their cars parked there?

You came into this taking shots at Charlotte. Remember, they put a courtroom in Vet Stadium because NYers would come to games & take potshots at Philly & it would devolve into fistfights.

Since the annexation laws were changed Charlotte is getting more dense. There are ways to say things. Think about that.
Seriously. Read the name of this thread. Go back and look at the first few pages. It seems like the foundation of this thread is based off of “taking shots” or “potshots”. Tons of negative talk everywhere on here.. this thread was not created in the most positive light. I don’t know why I’m being singled out. I’ll say whatever I want to as long as it doesn’t violate the terms of service.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:

And really ?? The Vet jail LOL. That was mainly created by trash talk between Eagles fans and the opposing fans, yes, much of it fueled by alcohol. The far northeast is a mainly suburban layout, yes that is a small part of the city limits that was not originally part of the city of Philadelphia- it was added at a later time when much of the urban sections of the city had already been established for years.

Charlotte (and much of the sunbelt cities as they’re called) were not really developed until the mid 20th century, hence the suburban layouts and car centric-ness. Good to hear Charlotte will start adding more urban development to give it a more “city” feel but I don’t believe it’ll be urban like a New York, Philly, Boston type of urban. It’s a bit late for that and such neighborhoods are unfortunately not made anymore.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
And really ?? The Vet jail LOL. That was mainly created by trash talk between Eagles fans and the opposing fans, yes, much of it fueled by alcohol. The far northeast is a mainly suburban layout, yes that is a small part of the city limits that was not originally part of the city of Philadelphia- it was added at a later time when much of the urban sections of the city had already been established for years.

Charlotte (and much of the sunbelt cities as they’re called) were not really developed until the mid 20th century, hence the suburban layouts and car centric-ness. Good to hear Charlotte will start adding more urban development to give it a more “city” feel but I don’t believe it’ll be urban like a New York, Philly, Boston type of urban. It’s a bit late for that and such neighborhoods are unfortunately not made anymore.
The only part of the City of Philadelphia that was always part of the city is Center City. Compare that to Uptown Charlotte.

The rest of Philadelphia became part of the city as a result of the Consolidation of 1854. The annexations happened differently, in different times, but the results are the same. Big cities served, mostly, by busses.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
“I don’t think it’ll ever be the New York, Boston, Philly type.”

Neither will Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LA, Austin, Kansas City, Denver, Washington DC and the list goes on. If DC resembled NYC or Philly at all.... I would not be moving there.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
It is great for people who want to live a simple family oriented life. The more alternative lifestyles are looked at as strange here. I can even see just on this forums how defensive they get over their basicness.

Though on a more positive note, like you said it is nicely kept and clean looking. I just don’t consider it much of a “city” being so car-centric and suburban.
Families, who needs ‘em right?

I know more people are moving back to cities than in the past, but for the younger people I think that’s moreso because they are waiting longer to have kids. I grew up in a “basic” suburb outside of Philly, had a lot of friends that moved to Philly after college, but I think only a few lasted longer than 5 years or so. Cities are convenient for walking to bars and restaurants and short commutes if you actually work there, but not much else IMO. And Charlotte has several areas where that can be accomplished.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
“I don’t think it’ll ever be the New York, Boston, Philly type.”

Neither will Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LA, Austin, Kansas City, Denver, Washington DC and the list goes on. If DC resembled NYC or Philly at all.... I would not be moving there.
Actually the majority of DC is fairly urban

Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Families, who needs ‘em right?

I know more people are moving back to cities than in the past, but for the younger people I think that’s moreso because they are waiting longer to have kids. I grew up in a “basic” suburb outside of Philly, had a lot of friends that moved to Philly after college, but I think only a few lasted longer than 5 years or so. Cities are convenient for walking to bars and restaurants and short commutes if you actually work there, but not much else IMO. And Charlotte has several areas where that can be accomplished.
Walkable to a certain extent, yes. But it really depends on the neighborhood you’re in. My neighborhood not so much unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte