Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
So, I attempted to go to the DMV to get my North Carolina Driver License and hopefully register my car and there was a sign on the door, saying "Computers Down, DMV Closed".. I spent a bunch of time getting all my papers ready and was so busy with my move that I had little time to even go there and was looking forward to getting it done. I then tried to call the DMV. After fighting through prompts for minutes, I finally get to a "Wait we are transferring you". However, immediately after thinking I was going to talk to a human I got the message stating "We are sorry, we have an unusually high call volume and cannot answer your call, Thank you and goodbye". I was infuriated and now at a loss as to how I will even get my driver license and registration. After talking to some people at local grocery store, they told me the DMVs can be brutal here and you can wait in a line without any chairs for hours and hours. I've never heard aof anything like this, but I guess that is the situation.

I've been doing some reading and told some DMVs are better than others. I'm totally open to driving to a small town within an hour or so if necessary and live up in the Lake Norman area. I've been told though to avoid the Mooresville DMV. Can anyone give me any suggestions of DMVs that have a number-based system, shorter waits and hopefully some chairs to sit in? Also, is there any way to possibly verify the DMV is not shut down. I'd hate to drive all the way to some small town, only to get a sign on the door that the DMV is closed. I wish they would at least up date a website or something.

I really like North Carolina, but this is probably the worst DMV I ever had to deal with in the four states I have lived. Is there any DMV in the greater Charlotte area or outer suburbs that fits any of the criteria or at least has shorter wait times? Also, can anyone advise on the best days and times to go to get your license? I am flexible right now as I work from home.

I appreciate people's inputs.
Huntersville's system can be up or down, but Huntersville is BY FAR the best office.

I didn't care for the DMV in Charlotte (Arrowood), nor the one in Mt Holly. Charlotte was small, stuffy, and had a long wait, while Mt Holly made multiple mistakes...good thing I discovered the errors before I left the office

Be aware that some offices offer licenses, while other offices allow you to pay property taxes on vehicles. Huntersville allows you to perform both transactions at the same office

My second choice to Huntersville would be Lincolnton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The Change of Address form might work. But it's surprisingly easy to get one of those...
Interesting, i guess i will just go with my bank statement, auto insurance policy and electric bill. Might also print out first page of my lease and copy of my cable bill. Hopefully, between all those i wont have any problems. I say, I hope.. LOL

Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Huntersville's system can be up or down, but Huntersville is BY FAR the best office.

I didn't care for the DMV in Charlotte (Arrowood), nor the one in Mt Holly. Charlotte was small, stuffy, and had a long wait, while Mt Holly made multiple mistakes...good thing I discovered the errors before I left the office

Be aware that some offices offer licenses, while other offices allow you to pay property taxes on vehicles. Huntersville allows you to perform both transactions at the same office

My second choice to Huntersville would be Lincolnton.

Thanks for the heads up NDL.. I will give the Huntersville DMV another try.. That location is very close to where I live.. Hopefully, they will be open the days I try to go.. My last attempt failed as they had a sign saying "Computer Systems Down.. DMV Closed". I may give it a shot tomorrow, but I guess I should shoot for Tuesday, since other posters say avoid Mondays and Fridays.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:52 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Thanks for the heads up NDL.. I will give the Huntersville DMV another try.. That location is very close to where I live.. Hopefully, they will be open the days I try to go.. My last attempt failed as they had a sign saying "Computer Systems Down.. DMV Closed". I may give it a shot tomorrow, but I guess I should shoot for Tuesday, since other posters say avoid Mondays and Fridays.
I would go whenever it's convenient for you, because the Huntersville office is very efficient.

And again, if Hunterville can't help you, EVERYONE swears by the Lincolnton office. Just be aware that licensing and registering vehicles occurs in two different offices in Lincolnton

Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Red Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby is one of the traditional bbq restaurants & they now include chicken. They are near a licensing office on US 74.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
My first time in Charlotte I spent over 7 hours at the university DMV
..... ugh....

The two other times I had to go to the DMV I made the drive up to Kannapolis for my license after several suggestions and was in and out in under an hour for the same types of services.

With my auto registration I made the drive to Concord on 29. We have been tot he Mooresvile DMV too but Concord seems a little more efficient.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Red Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby is one of the traditional bbq restaurants & they now include chicken. They are near a licensing office on US 74.
The big question: can you eat your carryout BBQ while you're on line at the DMV...

(It makes having to go to the DMV almost worth it )

Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Why are people still going to the DMV for routine stuff? I’ve been once, when we initially moved for the drivers license test, etc. All renewals, registrations, since I’ve done online....

Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Why are people still going to the DMV for routine stuff? I’ve been once, when we initially moved for the drivers license test, etc. All renewals, registrations, since I’ve done online....

If you want the real ID you have to appear in person and you couldn't always renew your license online.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Would you say Red Bridges BBQ is pretty exceptional? If so, I maybe have found my new DMV office .. Haha, ever since I moved here I have now been on the quest for the perfect BBQ place and have been blown away by many I have tried, but now searching for the best of the best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The big question: can you eat your carryout BBQ while you're on line at the DMV...

(It makes having to go to the DMV almost worth it )
Well, if they are going to make people wait 3 to 7 hours in line, then the least they can do is have a BBQ place in the DMV.. The state would also probably find it would generate significant extra revenue. That way I don't have to drive 2 hours to find a DMV with a good BBQ place nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte