Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:29 PM

275 posts, read 232,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Do you own private property, or are you a renter? Judging by your post, you own nothing. Otherwise, you'd understand that property rights are a strong interest in the south by nearly all property owners, not just "builders" "developers" and "Republicans". You're not much a "City Planner" if you don't know and understand this. And by "City Planner," I assume that you don't know much about rural living anyway.
I'm an NC native (and resident), property owner, retired city planner and know plenty about rural living. Please don't attempt to speak for all southerners. Some of us, admittedly the more educated and open-minded, recognize that there are limits to all rights, including property rights, and support those limits. We don't appreciate trashy looking, abandoned trailers and other crappy eyesores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 AM

834 posts, read 1,017,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Nusiance liens require the political backbone to "tell people what they can do with their land". Most of these places are controls by Conservatives. Good luck.
Nuisance liens are issued in GA, FL, and AL all the time. There are also $10,000 demo liens.. I've owned property in GA and FL for decades and come across people trying to dump the properties on the market all the time after liens and taxes build up.. Especially in places like Jacksonville, FL.. You have entire neighborhoods laden with heavy liens.. All conservative states..

Quote:
Take it from this displaced southerner......if trailers in rural areas bother you, abandoned or not, then you need to move to a different part of the country. You shouldn't expect to bring your money south and upturn the way things are done there. Zoning is one thing, which you likely cannot control. But you can control where you settle. Your attitude toward others' lifestyle will not be appreciated in the south, so keep moving on along.
They already have.. Quarter million plus planned-community housing markets and rent that is at least a grand a month is a product of that.. Not to mention the public demeanor of -deal with my rudeness or I'll sue you-.. It's even in rural NC, SC, GA, AL, and FL now..

Quote:
Do you own private property, or are you a renter? Judging by your post, you own nothing. Otherwise, you'd understand that property rights are a strong interest in the south by nearly all property owners, not just "builders" "developers" and "Republicans". You're not much a "City Planner" if you don't know and understand this. And by "City Planner," I assume that you don't know much about rural living anyway.
Go tell all the people who owned land in Dekalb Atlanta before the mid-nineties that, or current owners in places like Gainesville or Lavonia GA.. Especially in places like Brookhaven. UAE investors used improvement bills by in-pocket politicians to force owners to sale below market or have it taken.. I know this first hand from seeing it done to my family's property in the center of Brookhaven around '95..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
I'm an NC native (and resident), property owner, retired city planner and know plenty about rural living. Please don't attempt to speak for all southerners. Some of us, admittedly the more educated and open-minded, recognize that there are limits to all rights, including property rights, and support those limits. We don't appreciate trashy looking, abandoned trailers and other crappy eyesores.
I came to NC from GA in '93 and knew most of the big acreage owners who sold to planned community developers around places like Denver and Mooresville... It was a shoot yourself in the foot type of deal.. All the new development and commerce-migration is EXACTLY what "NC natives" asked for..

Southern people are way way way way too late to start addressing preservation of rural southern culture and the liberty that came with it. Especially after it was THEIR actions that directly made it extinct.. I seen every step of it since the seventies and will gladly bring it up when these threads are made and some local complains.. Get those trailers to the scrap yard and get another planned community in there..

Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 AM

833 posts, read 521,007 times
Quote:
What limitations to property rights? Elaborate with details. I can't wait to evaluate your claim on the merits!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
What limitations to property rights? Elaborate with details. I can't wait to evaluate your claim on the merits!
Zoning, subdivision regulations, removal of dilapidated houses, etc.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM

833 posts, read 521,007 times
Quote:
Zoning, subdivision regulations, removal of dilapidated houses, etc.
If you had two brain cells to rub together, you'd have recognized that I did not suggest that any of those are a problem. Instead, you came along and barfed up some nonsense about "not speaking for all southerners" and assuming that I meant that property rights trump everything else.

Brush up on your reading comprehension and analytical skills.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
If you had two brain cells to rub together, you'd have recognized that I did not suggest that any of those are a problem. Instead, you came along and barfed up some nonsense about "not speaking for all southerners" and assuming that I meant that property rights trump everything else.

Brush up on your reading comprehension and analytical skills.
If I had 2 brain cells, I'd sound like you. Thankfully, I have many more!

Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 PM

I actually hold clear deeds to properties in GA and within recent years FL. You CAN get nuisance leans for things as little as leaving grass too tall; even in high-crime hoods.. I see old demo properties with heavy demo liens too on the market DAILY..

How should it be different for people next to new developments in prime real estate with ragged manufactured homes that likely don't even pass code?

Also southern locals encouraged the over-development and are now complaining it wasn't kept cheap just for them.. Pay up or get out!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I actually hold clear deeds to properties in GA and within recent years FL. You CAN get nuisance leans for things as little as leaving grass too tall; even in high-crime hoods.. I see old demo properties with heavy demo liens too on the market DAILY..

How should it be different for people next to new developments in prime real estate with ragged manufactured homes that likely don't even pass code?

Also southern locals encouraged the over-development and are now complaining it wasn't kept cheap just for them.. Pay up or get out!
Sorry, who's complaining about that again? Certainly no one in this thread. Are these just "southern locals" you associate with everywhere else? This southern local will let you have Mooresville and the traffic as soon as my kid is out of school. At that time I will have used the city for what I wanted and go somewhere that meets my needs for the next period in my life. Literally no one I know though is complaining about it not being kept "cheap". In fact, if it were kept cheap, our investment wouldn't be doing so great so that's really a backwards way of looking at things and not so sure, again, who's complaining.

For those unaware, there are single wides and double wides all along Lake Norman coastline as well. Oh the horror of having to view that as you boat by on your way to your favorite cove. My heart bleeds for those that just can't handle the fact not everyone wants to, nor can, live in a McMansion.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Sorry, who's complaining about that again? Certainly no one in this thread. Are these just "southern locals" you associate with everywhere else? This southern local will let you have Mooresville and the traffic as soon as my kid is out of school. At that time I will have used the city for what I wanted and go somewhere that meets my needs for the next period in my life. Literally no one I know though is complaining about it not being kept "cheap". In fact, if it were kept cheap, our investment wouldn't be doing so great so that's really a backwards way of looking at things and not so sure, again, who's complaining.

For those unaware, there are single wides and double wides all along Lake Norman coastline as well. Oh the horror of having to view that as you boat by on your way to your favorite cove. My heart bleeds for those that just can't handle the fact not everyone wants to, nor can, live in a McMansion.

Read the thread.. I'll quote the posts though..

Unless you're just sitting in your house all day you'd know a lot of the rural demographics are publicly discontent about gentrification. My whole argument in this thread though is that those people are clueless about "rights" and the fact they basically asked for strip malls and gentrification, and are now arguing against the fruit of their own labor..

Ask people in Atlanta what happened when they tried to refuse offers on land in the eighties and nineties..

Personally, I find it hilarious that people who discarded people they didn't feel worthy during the seventies, eighties, and nineties are now getting the same deal... This is why I say pave the farms and to the land fills with manufactured homes.. Send them to live in the poor regions with the people they once sent there themselves..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Oh good, another thread from someone up north to tell people in the south what's wrong with the south.

If you're worried about your Sunday drive being marred by the ghastly sight of a trailer, I'd probably look to stay in the gated community, far away from the unwashed masses. Are you really concerned someone is going to pull a 1964 single wide next to your house and impact your value? My biggest advice would be to just not move next to the dilapidated trailer in the first place and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
Developers and builders thank you very much. NC has sold out too cheap for what it had to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Nusiance liens require the political backbone to "tell people what they can do with their land". Most of these places are controls by Conservatives. Good luck.
Quote:
Take it from this displaced southerner......if trailers in rural areas bother you, abandoned or not, then you need to move to a different part of the country. You shouldn't expect to bring your money south and upturn the way things are done there. Zoning is one thing, which you likely cannot control. But you can control where you settle. Your attitude toward others' lifestyle will not be appreciated in the south, so keep moving on along.
Quote:
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte