Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times

Advertisements

Here's some info I found. Maybe this will clear up some misconceptions...
Urban Legends Reference Pages: St. Joseph and Home Sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Maybe I was brought up a more uptight Catholic than anyone else here, but I find this trend pretty offensive...

My brother, who is a Catholic Monsignor, Blessed mine. He calls it "Italian Voo-Doo" because, for as long as I can remember, our very Italian Catholic family practiced this statue burial whenever they were looking to sell their home. It really is more of a NY/NJ Northeast thing & pretty common up there.

BxRosie

Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
My brother, who is a Catholic Monsignor, Blessed mine. He calls it "Italian Voo-Doo" because, for as long as I can remember, our very Italian Catholic family practiced this statue burial whenever they were looking to sell their home. It really is more of a NY/NJ Northeast thing & pretty common up there.

BxRosie
Ahhh...all this talk about St. Joseph is going to give me agida!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Try burying the sales agent that is trying to sell your house and hire a new one. Then tell the new one what might be store for HIM if he doesn't sell the house.Be sure to tell him you are a God fearing woman and tell no lies!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post

BxRosie
Don't get me wrong: I'm okay with it for the right reasons. I'm one of those "ethnic" Catholics from NJ myself, and my mother gave me a St. Joseph a while back, just for "a happy home", you know...

But people who do the "voodoo" part and don't believe in everything behind it just really rub me the wrong way. It's like making a mockery of what I believe in. Like I have some shamanistic, chicken-waving ritual that they can participate in to take off whatever "curse" is keeping them from being able to sell their house. Meanwhile, they'd denounce my belief in the intercession of saints on any other day. It's only a valid belief when it's convenient for them...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Fully agree!

We have bought and sold 3 houses so far. None has taken more than 4 weeks to sell. Of course, the market was a bit better then (in SoCal), but still......we are very careful to thank the Lord each time for His help in buying and selling homes as well as other things in our lives. He is faithful all the time.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Absolutely agree, brother. I'd much rather put my faith in God than in idols, which is all a St. Jo statue is.

I always pray for God's will to be done and for Him to help me know His will. It is His will in my life that determines when my house will sell. He can sell it in any market.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
UCH-Did you get one and has it helped? This whole thing went around in Miami as well. Not sure how it did down there though. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte