Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
I bought it for $680,000.00. Theyre assessing it at $770,000.00
Exact same home purchased 4 months ago for $630,000.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Exact same home purchased 4 months ago for $630,000.00.
Honestly, U120, I will tell you what I did the one time I fought city hall. I got my own appraisal. Sure did. Figured the $400 was worth it as opposed to the longterm cost of paying those taxes.

I won.

I would highly suggest you consider going ahead w/ this and documenting everything you can document. I would go to the register of deeds and research every property in your neighborhood, get some help from a realtor to research MLS "sold" properties . . .

I feel I have been flippant about your situation. I really felt you were just whining (okay - I am being honest here!)

But no. That doesn't seem right.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
704 you really have to pay a special uptown tax? That sounds ludicrous! Do you get free light rail passes or anything?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Honestly, U120, I will tell you what I did the one time I fought city hall. I got my own appraisal. Sure did. Figured the $400 was worth it as opposed to the longterm cost of paying those taxes.

I won.

I would highly suggest you consider going ahead w/ this and documenting everything you can document. I would go to the register of deeds and research every property in your neighborhood, get some help from a realtor to research MLS "sold" properties . . .

I feel I have been flippant about your situation. I really felt you were just whining (okay - I am being honest here!)

But no. That doesn't seem right.

Thanks Anifani. I do appreciate and respect your advice. I did suspect that you felt that way, and I was hoping eventually you would kinda see my point and understand my frustration. As I said in an earlier thread I would love nothing more than my home being valued at what they are claiming, but it just isnt so. I know I will eventually need an appraisal. Funny thing is I am a licensed appraiser in NY, but havent practiced here, so I am somewhat familiar with what this predicament is going to require. Again, I will keep you posted as to my progress and thanks for listening.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,044 times
Why would you want to reassess your house to a higher value? you are just going to pay more in taxes. IT will sell for what the market will bare. don't worry about the assessed value.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Thanks Anifani. I do appreciate and respect your advice. I did suspect that you felt that way, and I was hoping eventually you would kinda see my point and understand my frustration. As I said in an earlier thread I would love nothing more than my home being valued at what they are claiming, but it just isnt so. I know I will eventually need an appraisal. Funny thing is I am a licensed appraiser in NY, but havent practiced here, so I am somewhat familiar with what this predicament is going to require. Again, I will keep you posted as to my progress and thanks for listening.
Well, I made some assumptions and should not have. And I apologize for that. I have had your situation on my mind and do find it perplexing, especially since I know of two people in UC whose assessments reflected a decrease.

It is a complex situation and if the powers that be have decided that your neighborhood is going to retain its value (and I hope it does - but retain and considerably appreciate are two different things!) and that we are just seeing a termporary blip in downward prices . . . you may not be able to convince anyone to see things your way. However, I think I would give it a try. My DH reminded me that I won one time but we lost another time on a resort property. I think sometimes the decision-makers have targeted certain areas as stable and they just won't budge. However, I think when an assessment jumps early $100,000 . . . and the market is reflecting downward trends . . . it does warrant some effort towards mitigating the situation. Even if they would cut it in half, at least that would show some effort at being more equitable.

Do let us know how things proceed.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 47,718 times
In Cabarrus county,it's the BS tax-For Bruton Smith's drag strip,etc.My tax value went up almost 60,000.00.There's no way my house can sell for what they have it valued at.The appeal was wasted time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte