Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times

Advertisements

Atlanta CITY land area -- 132.4 square miles

Charlotte CITY land area -- 280.5 square miles.

Charlotte is almost 2 1/2 times the size of Atlanta "City" in area and has 122,376 more people than the "city" of Atlanta (2007 census).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Yeah, I'm not disputing your point but I am kind of a precision nerd lol. I was actually sort of defending you, just trying to give a better argument.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Atlanta CITY land area -- 132.4 square miles

Charlotte CITY land area -- 280.5 square miles.

Charlotte is almost 2 1/2 times the size of Atlanta "City" in area and has 122,376 more people than the "city" of Atlanta (2007 census).
Yes, we broke the crime stats down per 100,000 people so it is comparitive so it is not based on the population. Charlotte still had higher crime in three areas:
Rapes:
Atlanta: 35.2
Charlotte:49.5
Thefts:
Atlanta:3901.2
Charlotte: 4025.5
burglaries:
Atlanta: 1523.5
Charlotte:1942.1

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

So basically property crime is higher in Charlotte and violence is higher in Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
So basically property crime is higher in Charlotte and violence is higher in Atlanta.
Well, heck, let's just compare to Compton, LOL. I think comparing crime in ATL to crime in CLT is kind of a worthless pursuit. Whether the crime is worse here, worse there . . . does that mean the two cities have much else in common? And you know . . . some of us actually like ATL. LOL. At least, parts of it!

I guess what I am saying is . . . what was the point of the poster's original query? Is this just another thread on crime?

I don't care if ATL's crime rate is 100 x worse than Charlotte's. Or 100 x better, for that matter. All that concerns me is what is going on right here in CLT - and I find what is going on here to be unacceptable. I don't need any stats or comparisons to tell me that every week here in CLT seems to be a new episode of "Thugs Gone Wild."

At the same time, discussion is going on about it . . . and city government is responding to it . . . and our police are aware of it . . . and citizens are being proactive about it . . . so. . . . seems to me that this is an evolving situation. I don't think that we are going to be able to define what the real situation is here in Charlotte (as compared to anywhere else) until we round up the thugs and stop this crime wave.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It looks that way. However, I often wonder, if more of these people in Charlotte were home while their house was being robbed, would the homeowners be a victim of violent crime. I wouldn't be surprised if these thugs come armed, prepared for whoever may be in the house. Just last week someones home was broken into here and the guys killed the owners dog, who was the only one home at the time. They also stole a gun while they were there. For people like myself who are home during the day, I wonder if we are just sitting ducks to the criminals as they seem to not care whether or not people are home when they rob them.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Let them come and try to rob me. I'll handle that real quick. I'm thinking that once the homeowners start picking these people off like fleas with their guns, it will stop. The police are way understaffed here and some people are willing to do anything to protect their family. Do you really think a judge is going to throw someone in jail for killing someone who was in their house who's been arrested 30+ times?? I think not. Now I know the cops are saying to not take matter into your own hands but WTF???? It's you and/or your family against some POS. I choose my life any day.

I'm so excited! It will be live target practice

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I guess what I am saying is . . . what was the point of the poster's original query? Is this just another thread on crime?

The other problem with threads like this is that they attract pesky out of towners like me because they ARE so general . Seriously though, all of the City-Data forums are starting to look like police blotters. They should do what they did on the Florida forum- make a news thread.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Let them come and try to rob me. I'll handle that real quick. I'm thinking that once the homeowners start picking these people off like fleas with their guns, it will stop. The police are way understaffed here and some people are willing to do anything to protect their family. Do you really think a judge is going to throw someone in jail for killing someone who was in their house who's been arrested 30+ times?? I think not. Now I know the cops are saying to not take matter into your own hands but WTF???? It's you and/or your family against some POS. I choose my life any day.

I'm so excited! It will be live target practice
I agree, 110%. I think if we start taking a stand and fighting back, those thugs will think twice before kicking in the door. Right now they "thugs gone wild" b/c no one can stop them from continuing to be our burdon on society. Ani, I think I understand somewhat of what the OP was trying to imply. WE've been to several areas around Atlanta but when it comes to say Martin Luther King Blvd over there we steer clear, it's just flat out bad news. So I think it is okay to compare as long as there is something to be learned from it. What happened to Atlanta, how did violence get so out of control there? HOw can we not allow the same thing to happen here? The answer, everyone needs to own a gun and have their license to carry here. Then we will see who has the last laugh

Old 04-28-2008, 11:38 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Ok so why don't we organize a monthly's womens get together involving practice shooting?? We could meet at the indoor range in Matthews and compare guns, give tips, and of course, practice shooting!! (then go drink)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte