Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Jan what is your status? Where do u live now?? When did u visit...and are you still planning to move here if your not here already..may I ask which developments you liked??? at this point im leaning toward the Standard Pacific home....a little more than we wanted to spend but I LOVE that house....lol

MI well, they had 2 models in cureton to see 1 of which was a small ranch and the other one was 2400 sq ft but the layout was horrible and ust not our cup of tea...Am I missing any other developments or builders???? Also my problem is some of the builders will take house contigency's and some wont so im not putting up the house until we get back honestly it isnt going to sell all that fast either, and I so hope that these homes will be affordable when we are ready....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM

75 posts, read 321,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Jan what is your status? Where do u live now?? When did u visit...and are you still planning to move here if your not here already..may I ask which developments you liked??? at this point im leaning toward the Standard Pacific home....a little more than we wanted to spend but I LOVE that house....lol

MI well, they had 2 models in cureton to see 1 of which was a small ranch and the other one was 2400 sq ft but the layout was horrible and ust not our cup of tea...Am I missing any other developments or builders???? Also my problem is some of the builders will take house contigency's and some wont so im not putting up the house until we get back honestly it isnt going to sell all that fast either, and I so hope that these homes will be affordable when we are ready....

Right now we're renting in Brooklyn, but the house we live in is on the market, so we'll need to move sometime in the not-too-distant future. We visited NC twice, once at the end of August and once over Columbus Day weekend, with my sister-in-law and her husband (who just today went to the design center down there for the house they're having built in Providence Grove with Ryland). On our first visit we saw a LOT. We went to Prescot, Demere, Brandon Oaks, St. John's Forest, Taylor Glen, Cureton, and a few others that didn't make much of an impression on us. Brandon Oaks (in Indian Trail, I think) was really nice- big development, loads of amenities, very family-oriented, but it's zoned for Shiloh, which is still a good school, but from what we hear isn't as good as the schools in the Waxhaw area.

We're still planning to move. I've been looking for a job and so far not much has come up. We were looking at first to move by this August, just so the kids would have a smoother transition from school to school, but who knows if that's going to happen. It just may, if the house we're in is sold soon (we're keeping our fingers crossed).

As far as developments go, Cureton is our top choice. Right now, we're waiting on a price for a new model of home that's coming out in Cureton. We liked the Chambray model from M/I homes, and the new model we're waiting for is a larger version of that house. The M/I Homes in Cureton are smaller than the Standard Pacific homes, and less expensive, which is why we're going with them as opposed to Standard Pacific (but believe me, we were ready to move ourselves into the Carrington model when we saw it ). We really liked Lawson too, but the houses are about $100,000 out of our price range. Also, I think they're pricer per sqare foot than at Cureton. Providence Grove, which we went through a few times because my sis-in-law fell in love with it, didn't really impress me, though my wife adored the model of the Richmond (which her sister ended up getting).

When we took all things into consideration, and on the advice from our exceptional realtor, Cureton is going to be, for us and our needs, a better investment. The location and the development around it (the retail center, Carolinas Medical and the high-end and custom homes within the development itself) is going to bring the value up and make the development even more desirable than it already is. Sorry to hear you didn't like the M/I Homes, though. They're a good quality builder, and they're flexible with some aspects of the floorplan. For example, we spoke with a couple who, back in August, were waiting for the finishing touches to be put on their home (they were all moved in when we came back in October!), and they told us that M/I made a few small changes for them, such as moving the door to a closet, widening doorways, and a few other small things. They said that M/I did it without any protest or problem, so just as long as it doesn't completely alter the floorplan or compromise the structure, they may just agree. But yes, Standard Pacific is also a good builder and their homes were impressive.

My recommendation would be to go back to the 2 developments you liked and see which one has the better fit and feel for you and your family. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I know I will!!

Arek

Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 PM

64 posts, read 237,684 times
Orleans has a spec house in quellin and it is priced at $450,000 --they allowed a contingency on one of the other specs in the neighborhood and on this one they are offering a $5000 realtor bonus and $30,000 incentive to the buyer.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 PM

Thanks Mad,
Im going to quellin tomorrow so maybe I will have my realtor pop us there..Love Orleans I will say that...

Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM

146 posts, read 638,586 times
Default sex offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjacz View Post
Stay away from wesley oaks... there is a sex offender living in there and the neighbors are picketing at the shopping center trying to get them to move... that's in wesley chapel area.
From the Union County Sheriff's Office... registered offender... Herbert Elwood Long 409 Springwood Drive Reg No. 012506S11 M/W 38 yo 5'10" 210lbs Brown hair Blue eyes Indecent Liberties with children
www.icrimewatch.net

Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 PM

Bundy, is he still living there???? very scary

Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 AM
b&b

6 posts, read 20,386 times
Do any of you happen to know anything about the school situation? I want our kids to go to Weddington Middle/High Schools but clearly there's no guarantee with re-zoning. How can I find out which neighborhoods are my best bet to have a better shot at keeping them in those schools?

Also, has anyone heard anything about Porter Ridge? No test scores yet? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2006, 07:14 AM
b&b

6 posts, read 20,386 times
In regard to the sex offender...sadly, many pedophiles have never been caught/convicted and it's likely there's one living in all our neighborhoods. There is nothing that differentiates them socio-economically, racially, religiously or otherwise. We all just have to educate our children and be aware.
The scariest thing is that a lot of them will seek out jobs where they are exposed to children...youth group leaders, boy scouts, teachers, coaches...it's horrifying. I don't beat around the bush when I talk to my children about it, I also do a lot of role-playing with them, teaching them how predators often approach children and groom them , lure them in. I also taught them that predators want easy prey so the last thing they want to be is quiet and submissive.
What scares me is all these parents that allow their children to have computers in their room or rooms where they can't see what they're doing. Ours is right where I can see everything going on and my children know if I ever want to see what they're doing then I have every right. I trust them (so far!), it's other people that I don't trust!

Old 12-31-2006, 10:06 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b&b View Post
In regard to the sex offender...sadly, many pedophiles have never been caught/convicted and it's likely there's one living in all our neighborhoods. There is nothing that differentiates them socio-economically, racially, religiously or otherwise. We all just have to educate our children and be aware.
The scariest thing is that a lot of them will seek out jobs where they are exposed to children...youth group leaders, boy scouts, teachers, coaches...it's horrifying. I don't beat around the bush when I talk to my children about it, I also do a lot of role-playing with them, teaching them how predators often approach children and groom them , lure them in. I also taught them that predators want easy prey so the last thing they want to be is quiet and submissive.
What scares me is all these parents that allow their children to have computers in their room or rooms where they can't see what they're doing. Ours is right where I can see everything going on and my children know if I ever want to see what they're doing then I have every right. I trust them (so far!), it's other people that I don't trust!
Exactly. Predators will seek out children. Living in a "nice" community doesn't define who your neighbors are. Plus, I've noticed in the communities where there are lots of children, parents have a tendency to take on a false sense of security and the children seem to go in and out of homes with a general lack of oversight.

It's our jobs to give our children the tools they need to protect themselves rather than making assumptions about their safety because of the economic bracket of our neighbors.

SL

Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Exactly. Predators will seek out children. Living in a "nice" community doesn't define who your neighbors are. Plus, I've noticed in the communities where there are lots of children, parents have a tendency to take on a false sense of security and the children seem to go in and out of homes with a general lack of oversight.

It's our jobs to give our children the tools they need to protect themselves rather than making assumptions about their safety because of the economic bracket of our neighbors.

SL

Very well said Saralee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte