Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,133 times

Advertisements

I guess my concern with contracting is that I am a stay at home mom and DH is also the benefits provider. How does that usually work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
MIK I am a stay home mom as well and my dh has consulted for alot of years and he has been full time for 6.5 yrs however if you are working for a company like Ajlion u get health benefits through them yes u have to pay for it but its not unaffordable....as a contractor.....ive been a stay at home mom for 13 yrs now and I've done real estate now for 5 years but im always honme when my kids are home and I work when they are in school....Hope this helps..everything will work out...

Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM

This has been the most helpful of days for me. I really think this is what DH really needed, to see, we are not alone in this quest, and that it is definitely doable with our current situation. Best of luck to you as well and thanks again. I am spending so much time on this great site, I am not getting much else done. Real estate has piqued my interest as well for sometime. I think the flexibility of hours is enticing. Right now I am a part-time night manager for Yankee Candle. Decent job but DH and I are like "ships passing in the driveway" as we say.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 PM

oohh I LOVE yankee candle..LOL...There are alot of people in our situation whne I found these boards this is all I could do, for us my family isnt supportive and Ive had it out with my sister already about this move and so on but anyway I wont bore anyone with the details however, we are in the same situation regarding a Job for hubby he is close though he just called me but I dont want to Jinx it so I wont talk about..It is a long term consulting gig and that means him leaving a full time job and benefits however it is our foot in the door to the Charlotte market I just have to hope now that my house sells...good luck.oh and by the way, all I do is read these boards as well, but these boards have helped us make our decision to go and there are great people on this board, not all u do have some of your bad apples but aside from them everyone is all good...
Staci

Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times
miklaur, i recently moved from the northeast and am enjoying life in Charlotte. I would recommend as everyone else is find a job (contractor mainly) first then move. If you need further help send me an e-mail and I can refer yourself and your husband to some people at staffing companies.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times
Usually better contracting companies provide benefits within 60 to 90 days of employment. Although I agree with NJmomof2 that it will all work out.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM

ajilon and a few other company's offer the medical immediately that will be very important in our decison of which company my dh goes to work for eventually....I do agree with MK and ive had numerous of conversations with alot of people including my hubby that if he has to consult and get to the area and take a 6 month plus assignemnt then that is what we will do....and honestly yes I do agree sometimes you are better off doing it that way

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Great place to start...

I just got off of work and wanted to thank everyone again. I definitely started our journey off on the right foot today. If this is any sign as to how this journey will be for us, we are off to a good start, thanks to all of you who were so kind to answer my first ever post. DH who as I said is a little more quiet and reserved than myself was thrilled with what I had found out today and plans to register himself on this site this weekend to make some friends and contacts on his own. Thanks again and I would love to continue hearing about how your journeys are coming along as well. Best to all....

Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM

you too MIK and because of these boards we got very aggressive with our quest and our desire to leave NJ we knew we wanted to but these boards made it a little easier to just go and explore and wow im so glad we did...

good luck to you

Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
miklaur,
congratulations on your decision to move South. We started the same process about six months ago, also moving from the Northeast. My husband works in the financial industry and has had it with his daily commute into NYC and the extremely high cost of living here in the tri-state area. Although we attempted to move five years ago, we got overwhelmed with the whole process and decided to stay. (Hindsight: we should have taken the plunge then!) So, now we're in the same predicament you're in. Thankfully, we've sold our home and are now looking to move in February. One major issue, however, is the job situation. We do have enough equity after the sale of our house to be able to buy another house and survive for a while without a job. My husband has been interviewing for quite sometime now, but most of the companies will not take the next step until they know he's already moved to the area. Most of them have told him to get back in touch once we're settled.
Good Luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. I agree this is a great forum and I too have found myself spending hours upon hours researching our move on this site, but I've also learned to take A LOT of what I read here with a grain of salt. Sometimes it can get very overwhelming. When that happens just remember to take a step back and take things as they come. I've been in contact with several people who have decided to move without a corporate transfer, and most of them have stated that the entire process takes about six to seven months, on average.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte