Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

So . . . I have this little generator that gives me a few hours of power . . . but my laptop is at 48% charge. SIGH. So maybe I will head out to one of our WiFi coffee shops . . . I am worried about my freezer. I have a big freezer and I keep it pretty well stocked. Hopefully, things will stay frozen but the ticker is running . . .

Just dropping in to remind anyone who is interested that power outages do happen here. Not sure what has occurred in my situation, as we briefly had power about 4 am . . . and then w/in minutes, we heard a loud BANG, indicating a transformer had blown . . .so . . . no power.

I wanted to remind you that if you should experience a power outage, you should TURN OFF your heat pump/furnace/AC . . . as when the power comes back on, the sudden surge can cause problems, wh/ is what I suspect happened this morning. Everyone had his/her A/C on . . . and I am thinking the sudden drain was too much on the system. Of course, that is my layman's reasoning . . . But I do know, I have read that if everyone leaves his/her HVAC system ON, when the power is restored, it can overload the system. So a word to the wise . . .

Since having an outage has not been rare where I live . . . I think it is time to consider a generator (a big one - the one I am using right now is a little mini generator, only good for a limited time). I worry about my freezer and wow . . . it would be nice to have that back-up window A/C going off and on to cool down my house. My mini generator gave me a chance to alert my clients as to what had transpired . . .check my email . . . IM my son . . . and, of course, write YOU, LOL!!!

If your area is prone to outages, you might consider a mini generator. With working at home, it at least gives me a little time to contact people b/f heading out to find WiFi. I hate to leave my dog behind in this hot house so maybe I will just drive around a bit (and waste some precious gas) to keep us cool for a while around lunch. I would prefer waiting it out here at home, so when the power is restored, I can re-set my A/C and start cooling down this house. At least it is not gonna be 100 d. today.

Man, this SUX . . . worried about my freezer and very furry Miss Scarlett . . . she is already panting. Maybe she will have a little cool off shower here in a bit . . .

Ya'll have a good day and I hope no one had any damage from those freaky storms yesterday . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,953,609 times
Stay cool......

Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,774 times
Sorry to hear about the power outage, I hope your power comes on soon. My DH and I were talking about getting a generator too once we move down there. He told me my brother in law in MI has been without power since last sunday and do not know when it will be restored. Good luck and I hope Miss Scarlett doesn't get over heated.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Sorry to hear that Ani. We're still going strong down the street.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,656 times
Sweetie, I am so sorry...... what a pain in the butt!!!!

Stay cool......

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . I have this little generator that gives me a few hours of power . . . but my laptop is at 48% charge. SIGH. So maybe I will head out to one of our WiFi coffee shops . . . I am worried about my freezer. I have a big freezer and I keep it pretty well stocked. Hopefully, things will stay frozen but the ticker is running . . .

Just dropping in to remind anyone who is interested that power outages do happen here. Not sure what has occurred in my situation, as we briefly had power about 4 am . . . and then w/in minutes, we heard a loud BANG, indicating a transformer had blown . . .so . . . no power.

I wanted to remind you that if you should experience a power outage, you should TURN OFF your heat pump/furnace/AC . . . as when the power comes back on, the sudden surge can cause problems, wh/ is what I suspect happened this morning. Everyone had his/her A/C on . . . and I am thinking the sudden drain was too much on the system. Of course, that is my layman's reasoning . . . But I do know, I have read that if everyone leaves his/her HVAC system ON, when the power is restored, it can overload the system. So a word to the wise . . .

Since having an outage has not been rare where I live . . . I think it is time to consider a generator (a big one - the one I am using right now is a little mini generator, only good for a limited time). I worry about my freezer and wow . . . it would be nice to have that back-up window A/C going off and on to cool down my house. My mini generator gave me a chance to alert my clients as to what had transpired . . .check my email . . . IM my son . . . and, of course, write YOU, LOL!!!

If your area is prone to outages, you might consider a mini generator. With working at home, it at least gives me a little time to contact people b/f heading out to find WiFi. I hate to leave my dog behind in this hot house so maybe I will just drive around a bit (and waste some precious gas) to keep us cool for a while around lunch. I would prefer waiting it out here at home, so when the power is restored, I can re-set my A/C and start cooling down this house. At least it is not gonna be 100 d. today.

Man, this SUX . . . worried about my freezer and very furry Miss Scarlett . . . she is already panting. Maybe she will have a little cool off shower here in a bit . . .

Ya'll have a good day and I hope no one had any damage from those freaky storms yesterday . . .
Ani, that's terrible!

If you leave Miss Scarlett, open the door or hatch to your attic. Hot air rises & cool air falls, so the attic won't heat your house, but it will ventilate it when the house is closed up.

If it's a doorway to the attic, open it & put a blockade so that Miss Scarlett can't get up there.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Thank you, QC aand SSD. I am spraying Miss Scarlett off and on w/ some lavender water. She likes the scent, LOL!!!! As for me, lots of water and splashing my face, LOL!!!!

Barking, I started to call you and your DW last nite. I couldn't remember the # to call Duke Power for outages. I am kind of goofy sometimes. It took me a while to realize I could call 411 on my cell phone. I just hate doing that b/c I was afraid they would put me thru/ to the wrong number - just a message saying "billing dept is closed" or something like that, Hee Hee. So I started to call you all. I knew you would be fine w/ that, or at least, assumed you would!!!! But amazingly- when I called 411, they did hook me up w/ the power outage #. Glad your power is not off!!!!! Heating up here.

The Duke Power truck keeps driving around the neighborhood, Hee Hee. I am ready to go out there and plead for special service!!! But you know - I am not the only person working at home on our street. My neighbor next door left out a while ago - said he was heading to the Y . . . and my other neighbor is stalking the Duke Power truck in much the same fashion as I am, LOL!!!!! Dang, I really really wish I had bought a big generator.

I am going to check online and see how long stuff is considered safe in a freezer that has lost power. I think a full one is good for 18 to 24 hours. Anyone know???

Thanx for the good thoughts! Ya'll have a pleasant day!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

We've never had problems eating anything in the freezer even after the ice storm in 2002 when we lost power for 5 days. The freezer has great insulation. We were also able to plug it into our portable generator & I think that helped a lot.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey, SB!!!! You ain't gonna believe this. Another transformer just blew!!! DANG!!!!!

It sounded like a bomb.

I will open up that attic. It is a door that drops down. Miss Scarlett will not go around it.

Shoot, I cannot believe another transformer blew out!!!!!! AARRRGGGHHHH. The first one blew around 4:30 am. This is not looking very promising, is it??? I guess I am gonna have to comb my hair and leave the house in an hour or so, LOL.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Two transformers are down? I hope they're only in your neighborhood, otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte