Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

This was a news story from Tuesday night.

Many Mecklenburg pools fail inspection 12:22 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-062408-mw-poolinspections.371c3dc8.html - broken link)

Make sure the pools you use are clean, sanitary and have all the safety equipment.

P.S. My pool was on here .....and no it wasn't the one with the beer can in it.

Don't forget you can check inspections at Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
I absolutely love to swim. However, I'm very hesitant to use public pools. I always use friends pools. It's like a boat, it's good to own a boat, but it's better to have friends with boats.

Anywho, can someone tell me how sanitary a public pool can be, when we all know people pee in them. I don't know anything about pool maintenance, other than they use chemicals to keep it clean. How sanitary do these chemicals make public pools?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,243 times
I am not understanding the scoring system, the lower or higher the number is better or worst?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I absolutely love to swim. However, I'm very hesitant to use public pools. I always use friends pools. It's like a boat, it's good to own a boat, but it's better to have friends with boats.

Anywho, can someone tell me how sanitary a public pool can be, when we all know people pee in them. I don't know anything about pool maintenance, other than they use chemicals to keep it clean. How sanitary do these chemicals make public pools?
We stayed at a hotel in Cornelius 3 years ago and the inspector closed the pool because the pH was way out (it was too alkaline) and could cause serious skin irritation with continued use.The hotel further down Liverpool parkway allowed us to use their pool, but a short time later the inspector closed that one for the same reason! So it's not just public pools.When the inspector returned 2 days later to re-check the water was then too acidic!
I think the pool water needs to be at the correct pH (which is measured by taking a sample in a test tube and adding a reagent) to kill off any bacteria without causing health problems.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I am not understanding the scoring system, the lower or higher the number is better or worst?
Neither is better or worse as the pool pH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8 which is alkaline.A lower number is acidic and a higher number is too alkaline. Either can cause health problems.
http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/rules/t15a-18a.25.pdf (broken link) see Page 20

Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
After closing the pools last summer b/c of a cryptosporidium epidemic, the pools this year have signs all over, saying that swimming in a public pool is like bathing in a public bathtub! Don't drink, don't swallow, don't pee. I like the comparision to a public bathtub. My local pool always looks sparkling clear and there is no smell anywhere in the pool area or changing rooms. I would steer clear of anyplace that smells or lhas cloudy water.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
We stayed at a hotel in Cornelius 3 years ago and the inspector closed the pool because the pH was way out (it was too alkaline) and could cause serious skin irritation with continued use.The hotel further down Liverpool parkway allowed us to use their pool, but a short time later the inspector closed that one for the same reason! So it's not just public pools.When the inspector returned 2 days later to re-check the water was then too acidic!
I think the pool water needs to be at the correct pH (which is measured by taking a sample in a test tube and adding a reagent) to kill off any bacteria without causing health problems.

Yes, I consider a hotel pool, a public pool, even though it's just for guests. It's basically the same as a city/county/state pool in that there are lots of people who use them, albeit to a smaller extent in a hotel pools.

In my mind.....public pool = PEE

Even in the ocean, fish pee and poop too. I should just get it out of mind, since I love swimming.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Neither is better or worse as the pool pH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8 which is alkaline.A lower number is acidic and a higher number is too alkaline. Either can cause health problems.
http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/rules/t15a-18a.25.pdf (broken link) see Page 20

Jeeze, another reason. I haven't thought of the chemical complications. Thanks for the info.!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM

36 posts, read 136,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
From the reports the higher number is worse. They get points based on the violations. I don't think there is a point cut off per se that would cause the pool to be shut down immediately, I think there are certain violations that warrant that, such as the pH level mentioned.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Most mistakes are made by not having enough alkalinity the example of pool was to alkaline then to acidic is a classic symptom of that.....

Anything above 7.0 on the pH scale is considered alkaline. However water is funny. Pools actually use a scale called the CSI or calcium saturation index. It uses pH, alkalinity level, temp and calcium level....to get really technical you can throw in total dissolved solids but they tend to make very little change.

With that calculation it will tell you if the water is acidic, balanced or scale forming. Water takes the chemicals it needs no matter what.

Without getting into the technical side to much some things to look for.
Is the bottom of the pool clear and all the same color or is there greenish formations or slight discolorations.....acidic pools will have something called copper etching (not 100% if that term is correct) but basically as the pool becomes more acidic on the CSI scale it start to take metal from the copper in the pool pump or anywhere else it may be. If you have seen chlorine on copper it turns the copper green......like copper pipes with city water where a leak was previously.

As far as sanitary.......if you smell chlorine don't swim......the free chlorine in the water has no smell.....If you smell chlorine you are smelling that wonderful reaction that you are warned about when chlorine and ammonia mix....chlorine gas. Where does ammonia come from in a pool? Humans....sweat and urine.

With that when testing water for chlorine levels you have three things your looking for free chlorine, total chlorine and combined chlorine. Total chlorine basically tell you the total amount in the water ....free chlorine basically tells you the amount of available chlorine for sanitary purposes. The combined chlorine tells you the difference (for lack of better explanation *long day*) You want your total and free chlorine to be equal and combined chlorine to be 0 to know there are no bacteria or nastiness in the pool

You could have a animal die in a pool with a combined chlorine off 0 and when it starts attacking the nastiness the combined chlorine will increase meaning some of the chlorine is working and some is still available.....if you ever run out of free chlorine...you'd probably seen algae before that happened.

basically if you smell chlorine, the water is cloudy, there is discloration of the pool liner......don't swim. If you want to investigate why those thigns are like they are go for it......but I think the video explains enough..to many don't know how to properly take care of their pool water...

By the way my pool was the one where they showed the "no life gaurd on duty" sign and the clear view of the two main drains....and the interview with the green building behind it .....okay enough......I was hoping the story would have been a little longer and talked more about some other items......

NO GLASS AT THE CONCRETE POOL WITH LOTS OF BAREFOOT PEOPLE AND A POOL THAT (according to the inspector must be drained even if it's not in the regulations) HAS TO BE DRAINED IF GLASS BREAKS AROUND IT.........NO PETS!!!!!!!!!!

sorry rant over....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte