Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
My brother is a firefighter in Miami and when there is a serious situation going on, they are allowed to do whatever is necessary to arrive at the situation and help out in anyway possible.
GREAT POINT

This way it should be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM

92 posts, read 297,575 times
so be it!!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM

156 posts, read 270,196 times
If ur killed by a firetruck going the wrong way and that firetruck never gets to the actual scene of the accident which causes someone at the other accident to die as well. Then what did you accomplish?

Additional ppl killed.

I'm not saying it was wrong for the fire truck to be going the wrong way, but maybe slowed down a tad?

That's just my two cents.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM

92 posts, read 297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
If ur killed by a firetruck going the wrong way and that firetruck never gets to the actual scene of the accident which causes someone at the other accident to die as well. Then what did you accomplish?

Additional ppl killed.

I'm not saying it was wrong for the fire truck to be going the wrong way, but maybe slowed down a tad?

That's just my two cents.

Be careful Callalillies. it doesn't matter if they take a life while on their way to save a life. I just hope I'm not on the same road!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
There could be things along the route to this emergency that the driver of the fire truck felt that this was his best option.

I cannot comment of the ramp in question or the normal exit ramp due to it been awhile since I have traveled this route but here is some scenarios that the driver of the fire truck use to make his judgement call to use the ramp the way he did.

This could have been the quickest way to go to the location due to the normal way would have involve a huge median blocking him from reaching the point of the emergency without having to go out of the way to get to it. and it probably very hard for a fire truck to do a U turn or 3 point turn both are time consuming and would have to hope all lanes of traffic will not ignore what is going on.

Traffic:
The driver of the fire truck may have felt that they normal way would involve alot of traffic sitting at a light with no room to move over.

I seriously doubt the driver choose this option that he use to put lives in danger but did so because it was his best option in reaching the point of the emergency.

Patience; It's More Than a Virtue

Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
You know, we could beat this dead horse for years, arguing over how it should have happened. As I see it, (1) The law permits emergency vehicles to operate differently when responding to an emergency. (2) It is the civilian's responsibility to yield the right of way, to a vehicle responding to an emergency. (3) It is the responsibility of the driver and the officer to ensure their path is clear before entering in to a dangerous situation.

Regardless of what you "feel" the law should be, it actually says that emergency operators must show due regard- plain and simple. If there was a blind corner, and the emergency vehicle was traveling at 35mph IMO due regard was shown. If however the truck was traveling at 60mph, obviously it wasn't. It is ridiculous to think that just because an emergency vehicle is running lights and sirens, they are given Carte Blanche to get to the scene however possible.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
...when there is a serious situation going on, they are allowed to do whatever is necessary to arrive at the situation and help out in anyway possible.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
GREAT POINT

This way it should be
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post

Regardless of what you "feel" the law should be, it actually says that emergency operators must show due regard- plain and simple.
Right.

I have the utmost respect for emergency workers, but they are certainly not allowed to do whatever the heck they want, nor should they be able to in my opinion. All lives are valuable; they shouldn't disregard lives while on their way to try to save a life. Common sense.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
On the same light, if a police chase ensues, and a police car goes the wrong way following in pursuit (now this one WILL be a high speed chase), and they hit a vehicle, or heaven forbid, a pedestrian, and injury or death results, aren't they (the police) liable????

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
On the same light, if a police chase ensues, and a police car goes the wrong way following in pursuit (now this one WILL be a high speed chase), and they hit a vehicle, or heaven forbid, a pedestrian, and injury or death results, aren't they (the police) liable????
Actually, I believe CMPD's policies prohibit high speed chases without senior approval. But, if it did happen, they would absolutely be liable.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Actually, I believe CMPD's policies prohibit high speed chases without senior approval. But, if it did happen, they would absolutely be liable.
And don't think the criminals don't know it either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte