Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
If you are coming here to get away from New Yorkers, wow....you might want to look for another place. Just sayin'.

See, it's only the nice New Yorkers that are making their way down, creating the overcrowding, causing the increase in traffic and property taxes.

But we all know it's really about saving the money and not getting away from New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 57,247 times
Just wondering where in NY you are coming from? We moved down here from LI (I grew up in Queens) and landed in Charlotte about 12 years ago. We live in the University Area (north) and are trying to sell to move to the Huntersville area as our kids go to a charter school in Davidson. We are also a non-religious Jewish family. We did belong to Temple Beth-El the biggest temple (reform) in South Charlotte, but it was too overwhelming for us, my kids did not make many friends and we had a hard time bonding with people there. We switched to a new, much smaller congregation which started almost 2 years ago in Lake Norman. Our son will be a Bar Mitzvah next year. It is at our own pace to pick a date, etc. At Beth-El, they had us pick 5 dates and gave us July 4th---not one of our dates!! That was the last straw. The Lake Norman congregation also just hired a new rabbi. The smallness is nice and so are the people. You are looking in the $600 range? Well, you can probably get something for less $$ in the Huntersville area, or in your price range in the Davidson area - which is beautiful!! This is all in the north. In my opinion, moving to South Charlotte would take you back to being in NY. Union County is where ALL the Long Islanders tend to land. South and North Charlotte are night and day. Good luck to you!!---from a Honda driving, Gap/Target mom :-)

Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Let me add most of my friends down here that we have made are from LI and honestly we love them....not to mention we found people that are just like us, normal and down to earth and didnt forget where they came from...so tl I would have to disagree with you in the area, because charlotte in general is a very transiant place as well as it can get a bit lonely and it is nice to have some friends that came from where you did....we live in waxhaw/marvin and honestly its a huge variety of transplants...if you dont want to live with all NYker's then find a sub-division that isnt all Ny..our friends are building in a new community in waxhaw and I must tell you there are people who are from charlotte that are moving there, people from Florida, california, Ny and GA...good luck with where ever you decide...we too are a non religous jewish family my dd went to the Jewish Day School and well she fit in fine but dh and I didnt, and it just wasnt what we wanted but for her needs it was right for her...but anyway, there are alot of areas to choose from, and take your time if you have it and do alot of research and visit the communities you are interested in...your going to find alot of Nyker's in Huntersville and Moorseville and as much as you might not like it they are moving all over NC ...and my dh and I drive a honda accord and a nissan murano...and we fit in just fine..

Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM

62 posts, read 146,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I have three suggestions for you.
1. Find a good realtor.
2. Head toward Waxhaw
3. Stay in the subdivisions that send their children to the
Marvin School Cluster.
Been there done that.
Good Luck to you.
Yeah. cuz that isn't becoming a social elitist, former NYer enclave. NOT!

For that price point, you have a lot of options. Get a realtor.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM

513 posts, read 2,112,217 times
Not all the moms in Union County/South Charlotte get dressed up to go to the grocery store!! Pretty much everyone I know is in jeans or shorts (meaning GAP!!) all the time, and we have all been known to go to the store in our sweats (gasp!). I also drive a minivan, as do many of my friends!! So, don't let people fool you - we are just regular SAHM's here, too!! I live in a neighborhood in the 600 range. Feel free to DM me. I guess it all depends on the group you decide to associate with. You can certainly find the dressed-up Lexus driving crowd, but you will find people like yourself everywhere around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte